Post Pictures of Your Vero Board Designs Here.

I'm always amazed by those early boards with computer chips and masses of wiring
on the back! I guess the speeds were low enough not to be a problem back then.

That's nothing, look at these actual production Cray photos. They had to measure each wire for proper timing.
And they were very fast at the time.
Seymour Cray's path to supercomputing - CNET

Attachments

• 34.jpg
    34.jpg
    792.9 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
Some kind of color coding would have been nice !

@Doug: Thanks !

Attachments

• IMG_9824.jpg
    IMG_9824.jpg
    540 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_9829.jpg
    IMG_9829.jpg
    608.5 KB · Views: 129
  • AERG2166.JPG
    AERG2166.JPG
    463.1 KB · Views: 137
  • UBZU9842.JPG
    UBZU9842.JPG
    473.9 KB · Views: 130
  • MMCW1939.JPG
    MMCW1939.JPG
    717.6 KB · Views: 85
  • JPWV0780.JPG
    JPWV0780.JPG
    306.6 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
That's nothing, look at these actual production Cray photos. They had to measure each wire for proper timing.

Yeah that's a bit worse than this beauty that I scored when we decommed our Facom M380. I think mine is more pretty though ;) I was told the same about the wiring, the loops of wire being carefully trimmed for timing reasons. Supposedly the wires are enameled silver. Not sure about the gold..

Tony.

Attachments

• DSC_2359_00001.jpg
    DSC_2359_00001.jpg
    489.2 KB · Views: 96
  • DSC_2363_00002.jpg
    DSC_2363_00002.jpg
    726.9 KB · Views: 86
Wish I could find a spice model for 1J24Bs

As these tubes do not have grids this will be something....

I love these tubes as they are very versitile but some experimentation is required.

Please check this site (if you not already have):

Russian Subminiature Tubes

Attachments

• QLIW8383.JPG
    QLIW8383.JPG
    251.2 KB · Views: 123
  • UDNU1845.JPG
    UDNU1845.JPG
    410.4 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
There's a Cray 1 (and several later models!) near me at the Computer Museum of America in Roswell, GA. I saw the thing in a special preview before they officially opened. Yes, it has all those blue wires in it, and somewhere, I think at the bottom, they're all cut. It appears the wires had to be cut to move the thing. It's a shame it's most likely never going to run again (the electrical power it takes is tremendous enough), but then again you can surely get a full-speed Cray emulator in a smartphone app. Some other model(s) use some dangerous cooling fluids, and you wouldn't want to try to run them regardless.

I do not need a Zotl, just it would be nice as it is more compact (minus 2 output tubes as no SRPP). The anodes are directly connected to the stators as in conventional tube amp can be done. The advantage of Zotl is the "output transformer" (now only used as DC to DC up-converter) is also the HV "modulated" power supply,
Under the veroboard you can see the old amp.