Good lead free solder availible yet?

Article in one of the NYTimes this week about the motor-cycle battery industry in China -- seems that an unexpectedly high number of children in the village are suffering from severe developmental disorders. This is one of those issues in which the exercise of some diligence averts disaster, and malfeasance creates a catastrophe.

Another one in my backyard only this week - something about adding lead to metal foils. Lots of kids with blood lead levels well elevated over the limits in the West. Dunno who sets the limits though and how realistic they are. Here there was a scare over phenol getting into the water supply. Turns out that the limits set are amazingly low - maybe under a microgram per litre, not sure. Then when I hit Wikipedia it casually mentions that Islay malts can have up to 100ppm.

I've just bought two half kilo reels of Cookson Electronics 63/37 leaded solder. It's lovely to use after having been using lead free 4% silver solder for a while. The biggest problem I've found with lead free solder is removing components during a project, that and the fact that the joints look shite. I might persevere with lead free in the signal path if I can discern a difference.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Is it too 'political' to remark that 'lead free' is a classic example of governments' (every one, not naming names here) inverse Midas-touch?

<edit> - not talking fuel for cars here as I haven't studied the facts, but in solder.

Lead in fuel was bad news, but as far as lead in solder is concerned I'm pretty much with you.. :D I hate the lead free stuff and as we are not obligated to use it domestically I don't.. (I go through a lb every few years and am careful how I dispose of electronics that have outlived their usefulness.)

"Islay malts can have up to 100ppm" another reason to avoid other than taste.
Just checked, I've only about 2 glasses of the attached left and the price has tripled. :(

The problem with the lead solder wasn't with the assembly it as with the industry of shipping e-waste to third world countries where boards are "reworked" over open fires,
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
, the hobby market really wasn't the target.

Regards
James

Attachments

• 71150463BND.jpg
    71150463BND.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 353
Bring back tetramethyl lead. Oil would go to abou $20/bbl

Article in one of the NYTimes this week about the motor-cycle battery industry in China -- seems that an unexpectedly high number of children in the village are suffering from severe developmental disorders. This is one of those issues in which the exercise of some diligence averts disaster, and malfeasance creates a catastrophe.

next up: dull cutting knifes. seems that an unexpectedly high number of children in the village are suffering from severe lacerations: they can't tell which side is the handle.

and don't get me started on the fiasco on switching mode power supplies.

"Islay malts can have up to 100ppm".....................
Why is a Speyside Malt used in a post discussing Islay Malts with allegedly 100ppm of lead?
You will find Glen Moray distillery nestling on the banks of the river Lossie in the Western quarter of the ancient city, and royal burgh of Elgin. Elgin itself is an historic city, but not the least of its claims to fame is the fact that it is the capital of Speyside – a beautiful region in the north of Scotland synonymous throughout the world with superlative malt whisk

Your young is obvious from your post, moving to lead free has been very problematic for the electronics industry, it is nothing to do with skill, but to do with melting point of solders, reflow temperatures, tin whiskers etc. I still struggle to get some assemblies made correctly, having to have all my BGA compoents reballed with tin/lead solder balls. Also ask yourself why high reliability designs have not moved to lead free. So I suggest before you make a comment you do some research into what you are speeking about.
Or to put it more succinctly, you are talking shi** as they say up north
:)

Tsiros, it aint the fault of SMPS's if people laid them out properly and designed them properly they are not as bad as people make out, the fiasco is caused by the same people who banned lead solder, and the same people who wiped out California's PCB industry. Tree huggers who jump on a political point scoring band waggon that often has no bearing on real world requirements or conditions.
I have also seen big problems with linear supplies as well as SMPS's.