ELEKIT TU-8900 2A3/300B (Stereophile Review Available NOW - July 2023 Edition)

Looking for some feedback from owners who had the original Elekit vanilla kit without any upgrades, I am sure all the upgrades everyone has done will elevate sound but for me I am looking for a bit warm sound tube signature and don't have to be the best with details and everything else. I am mostly targeting headphone usage and hope is the vanilla kit is a pretty good start as such? I lean more on low end and mids with soft upper end and thinking the vanilla kit should suffice..

Looking for some feedback from owners who had the original Elekit vanilla kit without any upgrades, I am sure all the upgrades everyone has done will elevate sound but for me I am looking for a bit warm sound tube signature and don't have to be the best with details and everything else. I am mostly targeting headphone usage and hope is the vanilla kit is a pretty good start as such? I lean more on low end and mids with soft upper end and thinking the vanilla kit should suffice..

I have a TU-8900 with the AM transformers The amp is very transparent imo if you have a warm source you'll pretty much hear that through the amp and it will have more impact on the end sonics you get out imo than upgraded of different resistors or capacitors though that can help tailor the sonics further to your personal taste.

I had the original kit for about a year, except the pair of caps. Before I upgraded the OPT, the sound was really good. Had I not known that there was the OPT upgrade option, I would have settled and really enjoyed the music. The sound signature does change somewhat with different tube sets. Both 300B or the 2A3 tube choices provide a detail and accurate sound profile on my system. Compare to other tube or solid state amps, before or after the OPT upgrade, I would not call the sound warm, I would describe it as detail, extended, involved and pleasing. I can listen to it for a long time.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I'm having trouble with the left, white, RCA output on my 8600s. I thought it was faulty RCAs but it doesn't matter which cables I use. My left channel goes in and out. When I wiggle the RCA cable I can get it to come back on. I can also turn off the unit, wait, and then turn it back on, the channel comes back. I checked my voltages and the seem fine. Just resoldered the jack, but have not checked it out. Could it be a bad RCA jack? Any problem solving advice appreciated.

Last edited: