Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Joined 2006
Paid Member
padman said:
Hi all
been looking around the inside of the player trying to follow mods listed.
can any1 explain how to di connect the power switch (not tried as i dont want to break it)
also when running a disk the plastic disk on top of the transport wobbles a lot! is this normal?

Hi Ian

Using a screw driver, slightly open the black plastic over the switch and pull it off.

Unfortunatelly the plastic disc on top of the mech is not centerd in many players.... Mine wobbles a lot also.

Ricardo

ccschua said:

why not post us the OPA Earth in the 63 together with your review.

hehehe ok lah this my latest upgrade just replace with 2 discrete opamp call EARTH from audio-gd sound is more open , detail and got more energy .... i can say better tha opa-627
i try to removed the muting transistor i can hear the different but not very huge improve
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
L700 said:

hehehe ok lah this my latest upgrade just replace with 2 discrete opamp call EARTH from audio-gd sound is more open , detail and got more energy .... i can say better tha opa-627
i try to removed the muting transistor i can hear the different but not very huge improve
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Cool
:magnify:

Joined 2006
Paid Member
rowemeister said:
They look like the Burson jobbies

Hi Brent

That is what I thought first.

Can you please answer to my last post ?

I have been analysing your CDP and see that you have some upside down spowers on Decoder digital and analog.

Can I do a similar implementation based on LM340AT (I am saving for the spowers) without the GND mods you made on the decoder ?

Can I feed HF Amp and Decoder Digital from the same TX winding ?

Ricardo

rowemeister said:
They look like the Burson jobbies

Brent

Those are not Burson jobbies. The design came from audio-gd. Here

http://www.audio-gd.com/enweb/pro/diy/OPA.htm

U may want to try OPA Sun, which is more dynamic and more detail. Ground wire connection is absolute, else vocal will sound muddle.

Marantz 63 with these OPA move 2 steps up the ladder.

Nice solution by L700 with a step ladder.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hi Brent

This is going to be fun again.......:hot:

After reading carefully your´s and Lee´s pdf, I notice a difference.

There are two Digital +5v and one +5v analog inputs in the Decoder.

Do you feed Pin 15 and Pin 44 from the same spower ?

I am quite afraid to experiment because inittially I replaced C513 by a 150uF Oscon and all I got was screeching sounds... no music... so I believe Vdd1 is very critical.

Lee is using one sreg on U179 and one 47uF NxHiQ on C513.... As I do not have one of those caps, can I use a 10uF Oscon ?

Please take in consideration I will be using LM340AT.

Regards

Ricardo

RCruz said:

Lee is using one sreg on U179 and one 47uF NxHiQ on C513.... As I do not have one of those caps, can I use a 10uF Oscon ?

Please take in consideration I will be using LM340AT.

Regards

Ricardo

I just used those 47uF BG's on all the digital lines basically. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

What PDF of mine are you looking at? i don't remember making one, lol.

Cheers, Lee.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Thomo said:

I just used those 47uF BG's on all the digital lines basically. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

What PDF of mine are you looking at? i don't remember making one, lol.

Hi Lee

I do not have those caps.... Can I use one 10uF OsCon or a 220uF BGSTD or a 220uF Ruby ZA in place of C513 ?

One year ago, while I was starting and just replaced some caps, I put a 150uF OsCon there and the result was disastrous.... No music.... Just an horrible screeching sound.... Now the original ceramic is still there.

In your pdf below you replaced U179 by a sreg... can I do the same but using a LM340AT ?

Can you please explain why Pin15 is not preceeded by a resistor like R508 and R511 ?

Regards

Ricardo

Attachments

• lee's (thomo) mods list.pdf
    22.2 KB · Views: 111
LOL. Where did you find that? That was one of my first attempts at a cd63.

Maybe the screeching was caused by using a polar cap instead of a bi-polar. Not absolutely sure, but don't worry about it, I don't remember it making any difference at all. Brent still has the std ceramic there, and his player aint too poor sounding.

Lee

edit: Don't follow that list too closely. I was still quite a noob when I did it, everything may not be correct.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Thomo said:

Maybe the screeching was caused by using a polar cap instead of a bi-polar. Not absolutely sure, but don't worry about it, I don't remember it making any difference at all. Brent still has the std ceramic there, and his player aint too poor sounding.

But I am not sure brent is powering Pin15 independently.

If I put a reg in U179, Can I leave C513 as stock ?