Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Barry@ I have cleaned and checked all the ribbon contacts as well as the IC tracks they are all OK. The problem still exists.

Ray@ I have not checked the voltages of QM01 but I believed they should be OK as the CDP functions normally. It can search all the tracks and play CDs like a normal CDP. The only problem is when I press the stop button the CD motor does not stop but rotates slowly in an anti-clockwise direction without stopping. May be I will change the laser unit to another new one and see if the laser unit is defective.

I am pleased that I have now solved the disc rotation problem. I will explain what had caused this problem.
With Ray’s advice I measured the supply voltages of QM01. The + and – voltages are alright and with no problem. I then measured the voltages of PIN 5,6,7 and 8 of QM01. All of them have 2.5V which are normal. After that I measured PIN 1 and 3 and they should be zero when at STOP mode but actually there were -0.15V on them. I then traced the source of this voltage and measured the voltage at R157. I found that the voltage was +5.5V instead of +5V. This +5 volt should come from Q811 (7805 regulator) which I had replaced with an adjustable low noise voltage regulator. I believed the voltage of this regulator had shifted when I carried out the repair work. After adjusting the voltage back to +5V the disc rotation had stopped and everything is back to normal. I have tried if the voltage to R157 is less than +5V the disc will rotate in the clockwise direction instead.

Problem solved and thanks for all the advice !!

Last edited:
I am pleased that I have now solved the disc rotation problem. I will explain what had caused this problem.
With Ray’s advice I measured the supply voltages of QM01. The + and – voltages are alright and with no problem. I then measured the voltages of PIN 5,6,7 and 8 of QM01. All of them have 2.5V which are normal. After that I measured PIN 1 and 3 and they should be zero when at STOP mode but actually there were -0.15V on them. I then traced the source of this voltage and measured the voltage at R157. I found that the voltage was +5.5V instead of +5V. This +5 volt should come from Q811 (7805 regulator) which I had replaced with an adjustable low noise voltage regulator. I believed the voltage of this regulator had shifted when I carried out the repair work. After adjusting the voltage back to +5V the disc rotation had stopped and everything is back to normal. I have tried if the voltage to R157 is less than +5V the disc will rotate in the clockwise direction instead.

Problem solved and thanks for all the advice !!

Nice logical and elegant exercise in fault-finding there, higlander. Well done! :D

my marantz 67

Yep, only 1 clock in a 67 Al.

Also, there are 2 5v regs as the servo section is regulated as std. Std 67's sound better than 63's due to servo.

Same cap mods apply along with everything from the DAC backwards ;)

63's can be pushed further than 67's due to the more discrete decoder and servo.

Here's one i did earlier!!!!!

057A207C-605A-4E2E-ABAE-D972D7A9DB9C-4681-0000063CFF30E118.jpg

IMG_6861.jpg

IMG_6866.jpg

hi the player looks really nice how does it stack up against £5000 cd player i ran a 67 off battery except the op
amps i was so happy with it it was as good as a linn player what clock do you use

Oh hey, higlander, I just read your previous post. My disc also spins slowly while in stop mode and I'd often wondered why. My LM317-based regs put out just over 5v, so that sounds a likely cause. Thanks!

No need to say thanks. We all learn from each other ;):)

I started my modding projects a year ago after going thro' more than 1000 pages of discussions here and dropped down all the important points before I decided what to do. The results are amazing and so far I have done modifications on 8 CD63s for myself and my friends :D I really enjoy all the soldering work and of course the music from all the CD63s :D