Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

Maybe we'll make room for something like this on PCB, but I'll try to keep balance between options and price on the side of price. Also a very complicate PCB with lot of options will confuse DIY-ers.

Regards,
Tibi

I'm 100% with Tibi on this.
NC switches are dirt cheap and plentifully available, designing the PCB around avoiding them would be just silly.
Also silly would be introducing additional noises into the circuit by installing a worse regulator (LM7805) only so we could use a better regulator (ADP151) afterwards. Besides, there is no guarantee ADP151 actually sounds better - in fact, my understanding is LM7805/LM7808 was chosen by PD precisely because it sounded pretty good (for an IC regulator).

The simpler the circuit, the more people will be able to build it, and the less trouble it will cause later on (meaning less frustratingly repetitive questions in this thread sometime in the future).
Those who are truly proficient will be able to modify the circuit themselves, and troubleshoot it easily enough on their own. This is why we should firstly accommodate the less skilled among us, ideally to the point where it will be a "solder by numbers" exercise.
Just my thoughts...

massimo,
ADP151 is available in TSOT package, but not available on mouser, farnell or tme.
Do you have a source for ADP151AUJZ-2.5-R7 5-Lead - TSOT package ?
Digikey sells Analog Device stuff.
I realized later I was wrong suggesting that reg 'cause is available only up to 3.3 Vout, not 5 V as requested by those (old) Shiga chips.
Sorry for messing up your ideas.

Now first - a profound, heartly thank you to all in this thread moving it forward. I can't hardly wait to build this one!

Secondly - would it be possible to evolve this to handle hirez disks like dvdaudio, blueray and so forth or are the chips needed out of reach for diyers?

Brgds

I think it's not so much the availability of suitable chips that is decisive here - the ones we are planning to use are hardly easy to obtain either. It's the ease of developing something based on the existing (and proven) player...

Adding MP3 compatibility might be relatively straightforward (although it might not) - but making the player compatible with DVD/BluRay would necessitate employing a different laser assembly, which would also entail using different control chips. We would be completely on our own with this, with no guarantee that the resulting transport would even sound good.

I could not find this pointed out, but may have missed it.

Q3 is missing two resistors for biasing it. As shown, it will not function.

TheGimp,

Q3 is 2SA1342 who have bias built-in resistors. See datasheet.

Regards,
Tibi

Attachments

• 2SA1342.png
    2SA1342.png
    35 KB · Views: 467
Hi Tibi,

In the excel program lets you LA9242M; LC78601RE; LA6541 fill out are these IC's then soldered on the board?
I see in excel program that few people take this ordering.

And if we order this board than there is the possibility that "all" (SMD) components are soldered?
Sorry I may have missed some ...

Regards,
Rudy

Hi Rudy,

I''ll try to provide all hard to find components, but soldering is part of the DIY fun. :)

Regards,
Tibi