freeDSP-aurora - DSP with 8 I/Os, USB Audio, S/P-DIF, ADAT, Bluetooth and Wifi contro

That analog I/O is pure evil. A ton of capacitors in the audio path is really bad.
Why didn't you use the bipolar supplies?! A simple PWM inverter with a linear post regulator is so much cheaper than a huge bag of Nichicon caps and will gill give you so much better results in terms of frequency response, CMRR and crosstalk. It would even look so much cleaner and take much less board space.
This really destroys Aurora for me...

Last edited:
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum.
What is the power consumption of the unit. I've seen earlier posts stating they use 10A supply (7.5V). Is that really necessary?
Thanks

10A is very much unnecessary. I believe my board consumed around 1A (probably less actually, since I had other components installed), so a 2A supply should have plenty breathing room.

That analog I/O is pure evil. A ton of capacitors in the audio path is really bad.
Why didn't you use the bipolar supplies?! A simple PWM inverter with a linear post regulator is so much cheaper than a huge bag of Nichicon caps and will gill give you so much better results in terms of frequency response, CMRR and crosstalk. It would even look so much cleaner and take much less board space.

Unsure about CMRR for long runs, but I measured the frequency response and distortion of Aurora during my build and I was getting results approximately at the max specifications of the ADC/DAC chips (+/- some measuring error on my part) so I doubt the coupling capacitors have much of an impact here.

Unipolar supply is unfortunate though, since it limits the usable output to around 1-1.5vrms rather than the standard 4vrms expected with XLR. Still, this doesn't really affect anything to do with sound quality, just limits the max output by about 10dB. Not a big deal unless your power amplifier has low gain.

I heard your message but do you have measure or at least hypothesis to say like that ?
And most of that: when you write; it's evil, how big is the evil. If we talk a snr like 160dB, it's should be ok ( even for you...)

The docs for the encoder mentioned in the manual and the schematic show it's a bog-standard IQ encoder, so anything of the sort from Mouser or Digikey should do the trick so long as it'll take 3.3 volts for Vcc. Mouser has a whole passel of them, just remember to tick the "In Stock" box before a search :p

You might have to mess around with pullup resistors and hooking one side of the switch to ground or Vcc [1] but that's not the end of the world.

[1] I don't know which so it will be a Voyage Of Discovery
Does this one work? PEC11R-4115K-N0018 Bourns | Mouser Canada It's a quadrature output encoder like the KY-040 but doesn't have a PCB for terminations.

The manual (EN 2.1.0) says this about the KY-040 "module":
On X502 you can connect a rotary encore module like the KY-040. This module comes already with the required pull-up resistors and is available from several shops, eg. here: KY-040 Drehwinkelgeber Drehgeber Rotary Encoder Modul fur Arduino – AZ-Delivery

I suspect the Bourns does not include any pull-up resistors. I am not knowledgeable in this area, but would I have to add my own resistors if I wanted to use that one? Alternately, what would be a suitable encoder that I could get from Mouser? I'm not a fan of the generic commodity encoders from China that are on e.g. Amazon.

More:

WIRING of KY-040 Rotary Encoder plus Demo Code
Pull-Up Resistors for Inputs from Encoder

Any help on this would be really, really appreciated.

EDIT: This one? https://www.amazon.ca/Waveshare-Encoder-Sensor-Development-Rotation/dp/B00NL7PVGM/

Last edited:
@mhelin. One more question to this one. What about using the principle design of the freeAurora freeDSPx ADAPTER - Google Docs

that converts from the FreeDSP expansion slot as input, and to 4 x i2s as output? Modify this design so it can take TDM8 input instead of the expansion header, would that be a way to go? Perhaps combine with some of the modules you discuss below?

Your anticipation is more than good enough as a response :)

Regarding 3)
I was wrong about the TDM support for PSoC 5LP, I saw an I2S_PDL component on Cypress site but it was not an updated version of the old I2S component for all devices, it was only for the new PSoC 6 devices like the one on this kit:
https://www.cypress.com/documentati.../psoc-6-ble-prototyping-kit-cy8cproto-063-ble

That is not too expensive yet for $20. You can (if you can) use the PSoC Creator IDE and create a top design with a single I2S_PDL component which you configure as I2S Rx Slave for TDM A (I guess, or TDM B) with 8 channels, 32 bit word and channel lenghts, single bit frame clock. In addition you need four I2S Tx Slave component instances plus DMA for all of them, or alternative use FIFO and Cortex M4 code to read the FIFO of the TDM channel and output the separated channels to the four I2S channels (via FIFO or using DMA). If you use the dev kit above you have also BLE support though I have no idea what you would do with it.

Regarding 4) If you had a device for TDM8 to/from 4xI2S (using left or right justified modes instead) you could use easily the CoolAudio V1401 and V1402 chips for ADAT I/O.

@dspverden and whoever is competent:

To my post above (I could not find a way to edit it): So I need 4x i2s output instead of 1x TDM8, thus: Is the linked project (expansion slot to 4x i2s converter) perhaps the solution as it is, provided the TDM8 signal (or an alternative type of signal protocol) can be routed to the expansion slot? Is that possible?

(I guess not, and that some control function is selecting which i2S to send to the expansion, and then this extra board is just a multiple of the same i2s signal, but I had to ask in my ignorance.)

And just to be precise: I do not mandatorily need the analog outputs, I have my own solution for that. So the question should be answered in this context. In other words, if the TDM8 connected DAC on Aurora stops working, that will be acceptable, though not wanted. I imagine that could happen if one replaced TDM8 on board with i2s. I only need 4xi2s output on the HW level.

PS: According to an expert on AD forum, this very chip AD1452 is the one to use if you need conversion from TDM8 to i2S, so perhaps there is something here?

Thanks for any response.

Last edited:
Unipolar supply is unfortunate though, since it limits the usable output to around 1-1.5vrms rather than the standard 4vrms expected with XLR. Still, this doesn't really affect anything to do with sound quality, just limits the max output by about 10dB. Not a big deal unless your power amplifier has low gain.
For what it's worth, the TPA325x chips need tons of gain with PFFB (Post-Filter Feedback) enabled, and that's how they get their best performance.

I think also the NC400 as well needs huge amounts of gain, probably more than could be obtained from a maxed-out balanced line output though.

Is it that the capacitors are used to create virtual grounds or something? They're not actually used as part of low-pass filters, are they? KiCAD is not working for me right now unfortunately.

For what it's worth, the TPA325x chips need tons of gain with PFFB (Post-Filter Feedback) enabled, and that's how they get their best performance.

I think also the NC400 as well needs huge amounts of gain, probably more than could be obtained from a maxed-out balanced line output though.

Amplifiers using ICs that require high gains should have their own gain staging. If amplifiers can't accommodate consumer output levels then that's an amplifier problem, not a source problem.

Is it that the capacitors are used to create virtual grounds or something? They're not actually used as part of low-pass filters, are they? KiCAD is not working for me right now unfortunately.

They're used as high-pass coupling caps. Since the design is single supply they're needed to avoid a DC offset. As implemented they don't affect performance (re: measurements look fine / meet DAC spec).

@dspverden and whoever is competent:

To my post above (I could not find a way to edit it): So I need 4x i2s output instead of 1x TDM8, thus: Is the linked project (expansion slot to 4x i2s converter) perhaps the solution as it is, provided the TDM8 signal (or an alternative type of signal protocol) can be routed to the expansion slot? Is that possible?

(I guess not, and that some control function is selecting which i2S to send to the expansion, and then this extra board is just a multiple of the same i2s signal, but I had to ask in my ignorance.)

And just to be precise: I do not mandatorily need the analog outputs, I have my own solution for that. So the question should be answered in this context. In other words, if the TDM8 connected DAC on Aurora stops working, that will be acceptable, though not wanted. I imagine that could happen if one replaced TDM8 on board with i2s. I only need 4xi2s output on the HW level.

PS: According to an expert on AD forum, this very chip AD1452 is the one to use if you need conversion from TDM8 to i2S, so perhaps there is something here?

Thanks for any response.

No that doesn't work. If you want to split a TDM8 streams into 4 I2S streams you will need some logic. The stream format is similar but still too different. A little FPGA or CPLD will do the job.

Raphael

P.S. For all waiting for a bugfix, I feel really sorry that you have to wait so long. I had very stressful time the past two month in my main job. But it is getting more relaxed now, therefore, I can spend more time on Aurora again.

They're used as high-pass coupling caps. Since the design is single supply they're needed to avoid a DC offset. As implemented they don't affect performance (re: measurements look fine / meet DAC spec).
Ah. I did mean to say high-pass instead of low-pass. :)

Still sucks that they're electrolytics though. With so many of them, it's only a matter of time (10-15 years?) before some have to get replaced.

Ah. I did mean to say high-pass instead of low-pass. :)

Still sucks that they're electrolytics though. With so many of them, it's only a matter of time (10-15 years?) before some have to get replaced.

Not the end of the world. You could bypass the output caps and apply the positive & negative outputs to the positive and negative inputs of a differential amplifier. It's the classic use case but instead of hum you're cancelling a DC offset. That'll get you a single-ended output, so for balanced output the negative diff amp simply swaps the input routing, pos out to neg in and neg out to pos in. The DC is still cancelled and you get a nice inverted phase signal.

IN THEORY since the inputs are differential pairs, by the same principle you should be able to simply bypass the input caps so long as both inputs are referenced to 0 volts. It will fail miserably if either input is left open. However, I have NOT tried this. Since most opamps aren't incredibly happy with inputs at either rail I'd want to breadboard a copy of the input circuit and test voltages at the opamp input pins to make sure they're at Virtual Ground (1/2 Vcc or 2.5 volts) as they should be, instead of Real Ground. If they're not, then the breadboarding just saved you considerable grief.

Or you could simply bypass the input electrolytics with some decent film caps, say around 2.2 uF. Unless your soldering skills are really on point I would advise against it, though, and any film cap with a high enough value to be useful would also have pin spacing wider than the electrolytics' pin spacing so the retrofit would be a bit of a hack job.

tl;dr: getting around the caps can be done -- so long as you know exactly what you're doing & you're okay with nuking the warranty :D

Last edited:
Not the end of the world. You could bypass the output caps and apply the positive & negative outputs to the positive and negative inputs of a differential amplifier. It's the classic use case but instead of hum you're cancelling a DC offset. That'll get you a single-ended output, so for balanced output the negative diff amp simply swaps the input routing, pos out to neg in and neg out to pos in. The DC is still cancelled and you get a nice inverted phase signal.

IN THEORY since the inputs are differential pairs, by the same principle you should be able to simply bypass the input caps so long as both inputs are referenced to 0 volts. It will fail miserably if either input is left open. However, I have NOT tried this. Since most opamps aren't incredibly happy with inputs at either rail I'd want to breadboard a copy of the input circuit and test voltages at the opamp input pins to make sure they're at Virtual Ground (1/2 Vcc or 2.5 volts) as they should be, instead of Real Ground. If they're not, then the breadboarding just saved you considerable grief.

Or you could simply bypass the input electrolytics with some decent film caps, say around 2.2 uF. Unless your soldering skills are really on point I would advise against it, though, and any film cap with a high enough value to be useful would also have pin spacing wider than the electrolytics' pin spacing so the retrofit would be a bit of a hack job.

tl;dr: getting around the caps can be done -- so long as you know exactly what you're doing & you're okay with nuking the warranty :D
Interesting, thanks for the perspective.

Bypassing the electrolytics is an viable approach, I think, even if the leads are way longer (i.e. stick out) because there shouldn't be very much EMI/RFI and the excess inductance probably won't hurt the function of the caps. 2.2 uF is a far cry from the 100 uF caps that are there right now, though. On that note, any idea why 100 uF was chosen as the cap value?

https://www.mouser.ca/ProductDetail/WIMA/MKS2-47-50-20A?qs=pCRgUvwHhz%2Be%2By/G4IpGWg==

Why 100 uF? Haven't the faintest. 100 uF with 10 Kohms input resistance yields a -3 dB corner frequency of 0.16 Hz, whereas 2.2 uF at the same input R is closer to 7 Hz and 4.7 uF is about 3 Hz. The -1 dB points are an octave above the -3 dB rolloff so there might be a slight advantage to the 4.7 over the 2.2 if you want to hear blue whales :D

They form a highpass filter with the input impedance. the higher the capacitanse the lower in frequency, less phase shift for the audio frequenvies. 100uf is propably a convenient value, might be a size constrain, or same cap somewhere else as well for bulk discount and smaller inventory ;)