AK4499EQ - Best DAC ever

btw, I suspect that the AK4499 is just an improved version of two AK4497s in one housing.
The wiring looks very much like this, except for the outputs.

So far, many devices with 2 x AK4497 and 1 x AK4499 sounded very similar to me.

Does anyone know why the outputs on AK4499 were changed compared to AK4497?

btw, I suspect that the AK4499 is just an improved version of two AK4497s in one housing.
The wiring looks very much like this, except for the outputs.

So far, many devices with 2 x AK4497 and 1 x AK4499 sounded very similar to me.

As for me, I haven't seen any benefits paralleling channels with AK449x.
+3dB to SNR? Existing is not enough?!
Also the sound difference between 4497 and 4499 is so negligible, much less then between 4490/93 and 4497.

Does anyone know why the outputs on AK4499 were changed compared to AK4497?

To get the best numbers in the datasheet than the ESS :nod:

P.S. All this IMHO, of course...

Joined 2004
Paid Member
What AKM told me re AK4499 is that they had to go to current output to get a lower noise floor. In the process making for a much more challenging implementation. I believe its still a switched capacitor DAC inside.

After the fire I suspect they will be focusing on the high volume, important automotive and IOT products first. Audio doesn't pay a lot of bills. They also have some mobile and phone oriented products with audio that were not in their fab so those are still happening.

Hmmm...

What AKM told me re AK4499 is that they had to go to current output to get a lower noise floor. In the process making for a much more challenging implementation. I believe its still a switched capacitor DAC inside.

After the fire I suspect they will be focusing on the high volume, important automotive and IOT products first. Audio doesn't pay a lot of bills. They also have some mobile and phone oriented products with audio that were not in their fab so those are still happening.

Demian, what would make you think that, when the 4499 documentation all indicates that it is a switched resistor DAC?

Since I'm looking for a new DAC, I got a Loxjie D50 (almost identical to the SMSL M400) and a Gustard X16 for comparison.

I should have done better research beforehand.
A 17 year old transceiver chip AK4114 was installed in the Loxjie D50 (in the SMSL M400 AK4118).
Only half of the AK4499 chip was wired, the other half was not connected (dto. M400).
According to information, it would be better to use only 2 channels instead of 4. The only question is whether it sounds better or whether the measurements are better?

Theoretically it should perform better using all four channels. It's not as straightforward to do with the AK4499 as it is with ESS chips though. The only thing you're going to gain is some signal to noise ratio and this might already be somewhat limited by the analogue circuits surrounding the DAC chip.

To do this with the AK4499 you need to use more opamps, more board space, more surrounding components, etc, which increases cost. I thought it was strange too that the SMSL and Loxjie didn't use all four channels but I guess they were trying to hit a price point.

Probably not, because it is not needed. That design (featuring the TDA1541 DACs) is a perfect example of useless audio boutique product, for those with deep pockets looking for a place to drain them.
The developer, who died, enjoyed working with a lot of electrolytic capacitors. This is widespread in boutique audio and mostly doesn't do anything.
I don't think so, because I have made such steps (outdoor power supply) for exist devices several times, mainly for amplifiers.
with an enormous increase in sonic quality in all respects.

But most developers for audio stuff I know are convinced of your quotes, i. e. that the batteries of large capacitors (and sometimes transformers with 10 times of the VA value as necessary according an exact calculation) to get better sound are complete nonsense and only provide both a show effect for the eyes and a justification for the ultra-expensive purchases.
But nobody could verify that claim to me in a listening test.

P.S.: I don't understand this term: audio boutique product
Mean this audio products from companies resp. manufacturers consist of one guy (we say in Germany "One Man Show") ? like
Current Name from German's former Company "Fidelity" and where are the Schematics ??
or
Brand: MC (Music Components) Model "DUAL MONO" POWER AMPLIFIER - Schematic wanted

Last edited:
I am a long time lurker, and like to point out an observation.
That being, that I am seeing the most recent innovations and/or advancement (with dac topologies), in the DAP market.
New units every year with new implementations of the dac chips and ladder dacs.
The intense small size may not be optimal, but the results are, to me, already at desktop level performance.

Audio boutique, it means a product made for, rebounded, or sold only to the audio market.

You know, like stupid resistors with nonlinear response made from pencil lead and sold to suckers.

... or such things like Audiocrast CF-01
Audiocrast CF 01 Booster Power/speaker Cable Riser and cable Stabilizer cable holder crimp Cable Supporter cable feet|Plug & Connectors| - AliExpress
(not to find here: -audiocrast)
I see.
The developer, who died, enjoyed working with a lot of electrolytic capacitors. This is widespread in boutique audio and mostly doesn't do anything.
This I doubt strongly (if it actually did not improve the sound quality, errors have lodged in the implementation).
I doubt also, whether this also is such kind of devices, because I know the sound character of this DAC and similar DACs without batteries of electrolytics - i. e. in usual circuit design.

Last edited: