Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

ES9038Q2M Board
ES9038Q2M Board
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th May 2019, 10:11 AM   #4451
Extreme_Boky is offline Extreme_Boky
diyAudio Member

Default NDK vs. Crystec

something I posted earlier...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf NDK vs. Crystec.pdf (254.0 KB, 53 views)
Old 13th May 2019, 02:29 PM   #4452
Markw4 is online now Markw4  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytata View Post
All things considered, it might not be a better idea to replace the crystek clock.
That's my feeling. If I discover a reason to change from Crystek I will post here, but so far I seem to have better luck with Crystek.

Quote:
If the supported sample rates follows the one detailed in the description of AK4137 board (attached below), there's various sample rates that cannot be played whichever clock frequency one choses, unless multiple clocks are used.
Those number are only for what frequencies the AK4137 board can output, not what input it can accept. Doesn't matter for us if using the clock divider since the 22MHz clock gets removed and AK4137 output sample rate is always set to 12.5MHz DSD256.
Old 13th May 2019, 02:32 PM   #4453
diyAudio Member

@Extreme_Boky

Thank you. The 1st document posted today appears to be an announcement or press release, not the data sheet NDK issues today. The document does confirm the lowest guaranteed offset frequency spec is at 1KHz.

Last edited by Markw4; 13th May 2019 at 02:34 PM.
Old 13th May 2019, 02:41 PM   #4454
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_Boky View Post
something I posted earlier...
Don't know where the text in that originated. Doesn't sound like it was written by NDK.

By the way, I have done some listening comparisons between Crystek 957 and NDK NZ2520SDA. So far, my impression is that I like Crystek better. However, what I have to say about that may change over time, as I plan to do more comprehensive listening tests with various dacs over the next few months.
Old 13th May 2019, 03:52 PM   #4455
ClaudeG is online now ClaudeG
diyAudio Member

T+A top dacs seem to be a trustfull "neutral reference" quite across the continents, while using as far as I understand inhouse conversions - perhaps worthwhile listening to if you can Mark, as benchmark... (Chord's Dave, while mostly acclaimed, seem to belong to the a more "marked" sound category, perhaps less neutral?)
Old 13th May 2019, 04:51 PM   #4456
diyAudio Member

Hi Claude,
Perhaps you are referring to T+A SD 3100 HV? Only $35,000
It would be nice to listen to one, but the odds of one being available for listening comparisons seems rather remote. So far, haven't even been able to listen to a Chord Dave either.

Hard to predict what might happen though. Just have to wait and see, I guess.
Old 13th May 2019, 06:24 PM   #4457
diyAudio Member

Ahem, no, rather to the more humble (everything being relative, but 12 times less costly) T+A DAC 8 DSD. That one would already do the trick IMHO - that's the one I had in mind, but of course if you climb the ladder up to their flagship, as long as recent units :-)
Old 14th May 2019, 04:52 PM   #4458
diyAudio Member

Regarding T+A DAC 8 DSD, according to Stereophile it is popular to use the dac with HQplayer in order to upsample and convert PCM to DSD512. In that case, some part of the sound quality can be attributed to the external software, kind of like some of the sound quality of my modded dac#2 can be attributed to AK4137.

Unfortunately for ES9038Q2M mod'ers, HQplayer v4 is appears to be priced at $245. That can seem like a lot to people trying to mod a low cost dac on a budget. All the more reason to figure out how to take best advantage of what AK4137 can do. For $30 or so, one can get pretty good conversion of PCM to DSD256. I keep thinking about how to best do that vs the way I am doing it now. Seems likely that lowering ES9038Q2M clock frequency might simplify synchronous operation with AK4137 quite a bit. For best CD sound quality that might be the best way to go. Means I have to try it, but I don't have a spare dac ready for running tests at the moment. I am trying to get an Iancanada dac tweaked more to my needs in order to do some testing with it, mostly since it would save me from having to mod another Chinese ES9038Q2M board from scratch. Still some issues to resolve, but odds are pretty good it will end up workable for what I want to do.
Old 14th May 2019, 06:48 PM   #4459
diyAudio Member

Hmm... wonder how much easier it would be if all was AKM chips (AK4137 + AK4499)...
Old 14th May 2019, 07:09 PM   #4460
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaudeG View Post
...how much easier it would be if all was AKM chips (AK4137 + AK4499)...
We will probably find out before too long. The AK4499 evaluation board comes with AK4499, AK4137, and AK4118. Presumably, AKM would like evaluation board users to consider a fully AKM solution for their designs. Of course, it takes all three chips to do some of what one Sabre chip can do (receive SPDIF, perform ASRC), but the three AKM chips can do some things Sabre can't, so there's that.

ES9038Q2M BoardHide this!Advertise here!