Filter brewing for the Soekris R2R

Sounds like vdi_nenna and I are both just starting to play with the wonders of the serial connection and filters. I have my connection up and running and have brought up the u-manager but am nervous about proceeding further.

I have spent 2-3 hours searching for some idea of how it all works and have not found anything. I think I saw a detailed explanation a while ago but just couldn't locate it again now that I am up and running. Can someone please point me to a good reference on using the commands? If there isn't such a thing maybe I could talk someone into answering the following questions:

Do I need to save the current (stock) filters before I go changing things?

How is the order determined when loading filters? Last one loaded is #1? Last one loaded is #4? Etc.

Is there a list of the play mode commands?

Any other question I should be asking?

Thanks,

Andy

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Andy check this out.

randytsuch's audio page: Soekris R2R Dam DAC

What I figured out today is when you are in umanager by hitting +++, you are not in play mode.
By simply connecting to the soekris terminal, your computer is communicating with the dac. Play mode works from just connecting to the dac with a terminal, such as extraputty or hyper terminal found in windows XP. Not in 7 8 or 10. Must download other tty.

When you are in umanager you can upload/send filters. Once you enter "set filter = linear or mixed or minimum or soft", then you have set the filter permanently. Dac can reboot and will remember the filter set last.

Connecting to the terminal (and not umanager) you can type F4 for linear, F5 for mixed, F6 for minimum or F7 for soft. Not function keys, but actual letters and numbers. Use caps lower case didn't work for me. Play mode is not saved of the dac is power cycled.

Last edited:
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Telec, if I understand correctly, you loaded a filter and what to see the parameters of the filters? What happens when you type Help in umanager? I can't remember the syntax, but it might be filters all.

Vince

Attachments

• soekris umanager help.JPG
    soekris umanager help.JPG
    90 KB · Views: 660
Last edited:
I just wanted to say a quick thanks to everyone here for the community brewed filter packs. I have just uploaded bambadoos filters to my Soekris dac1541 and the filters make quite an improvement imo.

<Rant> Not sure if I will compare with other filter packs though because getting the serial connection to work right was quite a nuisance. Almost took an entire day of trying.</Rant>

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I just wanted to say a quick thanks to everyone here for the community brewed filter packs. I have just uploaded bambadoos filters to my Soekris dac1541 and the filters make quite an improvement imo.

<Rant> Not sure if I will compare with other filter packs though because getting the serial connection to work right was quite a nuisance. Almost took an entire day of trying.</Rant>

So what was the difference/improvement compared to the standard pack?

//

So what was the difference/improvement compared to the standard pack? //

Well, to be honest with the standard filter set I have always had a hard time to notice any differences at all.

With the community filters I can clearly make out differences between the filters to the point where I prefer certain filters over the others.

In fact to my ears the filters improve high frequencies a bit so that detail is easier to make out and listening fatigue is reduced (if any). But really I just tried them for fun and did not expect the improvement. Thats why I'm so grateful people put them on this forum...

Hello,
The last two month i listen only the community filter pack. I ended by go back to the stock one for some reason that i will explain.

I try mostly the paul's filter F5 and F6.
First i try the F6 C128dp Linear Phase NYQUIST. First impression was "wow this sound massive". I'm a rock/metal guy and distortion sound more granulous / organics, what i like a lot. Percussions also are really great... maybe the best sounding percussions i ever listen. But a major problem i found with this filter, it's like you don't ear the singer, and some frequency are just inexistent. I run this filter for more than a month and i can confirm it, you just don't ear some frequency. It's really interesting filter as some frequency appear really beautifull, but for me this filter is not enough balanced to keep it.

Then i go to the F5 EQHQ_lpbr_b4. This sound appear as massive as F6 but with a different tone, more balanced and maybe with more bass. Sound is brighter to me, and sweetest. You lost some of the organic sound on distorded guitar, but some bass guitar with a fat and round sound are very sweet with this filter.
Also the frequency that i didn't ear with the F6 seems a little bit more present, but not enough to my taste. Another observation, singer voice are a little more present (but still not enough) but appear very nasal, which is unpleasant.

I also try quickly the F4 linear filter. Here i can ear the frequency i don't ear with the two other, and vocal seems normal. However i prefer the standard soekris filters. I listen a title i know well and sound appear, well, strange. Too harsh i think.

As a conclusion i can say i found these filters interesting, but they have their pro and con and they are not balanced enough to keep them at full time.

With the Vref modded DAM I like the NOS filter much more than before.
The smallest step away from NOS is most likely linear interpolation. I think I like it even better. I have attached it. Perhaps someone wants to give it a try.

The impulse response is triangular and thus the frequency response sinc squared.

At the moment I like this filter the most, that's why I want to bump it up this way, for more people to recognize it.
With any other filter, everything sound like in a super bright room full of reflections, and a way too clear top.
ZFE's linear interpolation gives a deeper soundspace, in a good damped room.