A NOS 192/24 DAC with the PCM1794 (and WaveIO USB input)

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hi all ...

I have a bit of an off-topic question but nevertheless I hope one of you may know about this:

Is it possible to somehow power down the PCM1794? For example while the IC is:

- in reset mode
- or if the clock is stopped
- or the Iref is stopped
- or just "something" that - more or less - will stop its current draw?

Anyone have experience with this - or some good/qualified guesses as to how it could be done?

Cheers & thanks for inputs,

Jesper

Hi all ...

I have a bit of an off-topic question but nevertheless I hope one of you may know about this:

Is it possible to somehow power down the PCM1794? For example while the IC is:

- in reset mode
- or if the clock is stopped
- or the Iref is stopped
- or just "something" that - more or less - will stop its current draw?

Anyone have experience with this - or some good/qualified guesses as to how it could be done?

Cheers & thanks for inputs,

Jesper

Have you reviewed the datasheet or application notes to see if it yields any clues?

Joined 2007
Paid Member
@mbrennwa & Bfpca: Hi both ... & thanks for considering but as it is neither the datasheet nor what I've found of application notes says anything about this - as far as I can see. And placing a switch in the power supply path sort of voids the purpose, unfortunately (As you may have experienced, having an audio circuitry powered up a good time before listening - "permanently" in my practice - opens up the sound and lets music flow more effortlessly).

I would like to keep the positive effect of having the circuitry powered-up permanently but save on the power use - CO2 considerations. And as you may know Doug Self some years ago distortion tested capacitors when just given a PSU voltage and then again after a couple of days and found that they measured better when having had a voltage applied for some days. So I assume I could get most of the positive effects from a permanent power-up but keeping PSU voltages on but powering down the PCM1794 itself.

Cheers,

Jesper

Last edited:
@mbrennwa & Bfpca: Hi both ... & thanks for considering but as it is neither the datasheet nor what I've found of application notes says anything about this - as far as I can see. And placing a switch in the power supply path sort of voids the purpose, unfortunately (As you may have experienced, having an audio circuitry powered up a good time before listening - "permanently" in my practice - opens up the sound and lets music flow more effortlessly).

I would like to keep the positive effect of having the circuitry powered-up permanently but save on the power use - CO2 considerations. And as you may know Doug Self some years ago distortion tested capacitors when just given a PSU voltage and then again after a couple of days and found that they measured better when having had a voltage applied for some days. So I assume I could get most of the positive effects from a permanent power-up but keeping PSU voltages on but powering down the PCM1794 itself.

Cheers,

Jesper

very noble to save CO2, but as the dac is running on a shunt power supply, the heat and CO2 will be at an other place on the PCB - so no gain

As you may have experienced, having an audio circuitry powered up a good time before listening

No, not with properly designed equipment. Except maybe (older) tube gear that takes a while to warm up a minute or two and settle on the targeted operating points.

I would like to keep the positive effect of having the circuitry powered-up permanently but save on the power use - CO2 considerations.

If you're worried about CO2, just walk or use a bicycle to do your groceries instead of going by car or public transport. Doing that once per month will probably more than compensate the energy consumption of a 1794 chip (no, I didn't do the math, but...). But we're getting off topic, so I'll stop here.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hi both ...

@Doede:

but as the dac is running on a shunt power supply, the heat and CO2 will be at an other place on the PCB - so no gain

Well, mine is a bit different and is not supplied from shunt power supplies so .. but otherwise I get your point ;-)

@mbrennwa:

No, not with properly designed equipment. Except maybe (older) tube gear that takes a while to warm up a minute or two and settle on the targeted operating points.

Hi ... this is not my experience but anyway it can just be left here ... I was after if someone had experimented with powering down the PCM1794 but apparently not so I'll leave it here.

But again, thanks for considering.

Jesper

I think there is a warning that if you stop the clock the 1794 will overheat and be damaged. Have you modified the DDDac board itself to replace the 8v Trent labs shunt regulator? If not, then the on board shunt regulator would still be consuming power if the 1794 itself was turned off.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
I installed a bigger choke and a smaller transformer. So far could not find a big choke only a big trabnsformer. Allen Wright ( RIP) always said the choke must be bigger than the transformer. Now it is!!. Still have some metalwork to do. Greetings, Eduard
P.s The choke outside is the old one ( ll2733)

Attachments

• 20190316_171858.jpg
    20190316_171858.jpg
    469 KB · Views: 319
  • 20190317_192543.jpg
    20190317_192543.jpg
    720.7 KB · Views: 315
Care to sponser this operation for me, i have a quatro stagione also.....
It brings back memories from the past with the multiple Tent shuntmodules, those dacdecks where decorated like :xmastree:
Very happy that Doede did his magic in incorporating the most important ones into the circuitboard :up:

I think i'll stick to your LF50 replacement and see what the future brings from people experimenting with deeper pockets ;)

Last edited:
Fantastic upgrade !!!

Replaced LF-50 regulator on mainboard with LT-3045. If you want to take a huge step forward, don’t hesitate, just do it.

Hey, can you elaborate on the huge improvement that you observed with this change? Please explain the before and after of this change. Will help evaluate the immediacy to perform this change on my DDDAC build. Thanks a lot.

Bass has better definition and the general sound is more dynamic. This was the first thing I noticed after the reg replacement. After a few hour’s with easy listening on the couch, it’s clear that this is quite an upgrade for small money.

If other will experience this reg change so strong that i did is impossible to say, but it’s well worth a try, and I feel quite sure that you will hear that something has happend.

No secret. The valve one is indeed the Broskie CF. It adds depth, timbre and dynamics beyond any transformer or capacitor output using my custom PSU

Thanks for your reply. I was thinking to add the BCF because I have a lot of NOS E88CC Siemens and Amperex, but it's a bit complicated in the existing box. The output transformer is also one of the options. Now it's a condenser output (Jantzen Silver Z), I think it can do better.

I’m so pleased with LT-3045, that I will replace the 3.3v reg’s on my four dac boards on the digital side. If it’s smart or not...who knows, but I think so.

Very curious if it is a step forward so let us all know.
I've ordered a LT 3045 tot replace the LF50 and will wait tot see what it does for me.
If this is a step forward and you are positieve about replacing all the LF 33's then i probably do the same.

Funny thing is that the Tent boards have enough space fort these new regulators, almost if Doede expect us to explore this possibility :D