A NOS 192/24 DAC with the PCM1794 (and WaveIO USB input)

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
After the power supply modification i will see if the new berry streamer will fitt inside my dddac chassis which will get some more space inside because the new iron is quiet smaller. I dont care much about the looks. No need to see a display so i can just mount the complete device inside.
ROON NUCLEUS MUSIC SERVER & NETWORK STREAMING DEVICE - Audio Creative Shop
Did not read all the info yet but what i understand is that it uses the better input instead of the usb. The cables could be shorter and if power consumption is low i could just leave it on .
Greetings, Eduard

Fantastic upgrade !!!

Replaced LF-50 regulator on mainboard with LT-3045. If you want to take a huge step forward, don’t hesitate, just do it.

Thanks for this hint! What about the two LF33 regulators? Does it make sense to tweak these, too?

Also, you still seem to use the WaveIO. If you're in for another step forward, I'd recommend a Raspberry Pi with a Hifiberry board, running Volumio (no more USB input, though).

If you use s/pdif, I would change the LF 33’s too. Aurender is my preferred playback source (usb only).

My next upgrade will be new oscillator cloc’s on waveio.
NDK have released new clock’s with better spec’s. I decided to order a new waveio with the new cloc’s installed so I can run a shootout between the old and new cloc’s.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello Norway,
My friend will buy my 500va R core to use in his hiraga power amp and i will get another transformer and a MUCH bigger choke from Sweden. If i remember well you have a 4 board dddac just like me. My new transfomer has 8 6,3 windings so can create the right input by putting in series the 6,3 and the ones not in series can be put in parallel depending upon how much voltage i will loose in the choke. I did do some test with chokes already in stock but 3000mH is a lot more.
Later this year i will try the pimped berrystreamer but i expect a lot from the new iron.
Greetings, Eduard

I built a 4-deck version some years ago, I did not finish the build before last year, decks mounted on the new mainboard. Outputcaps as a start. I have glimpsed through many of the pages of this thread, and appreciate the efforts done by Doede and several diy'ers.
Time has come to spend some time upgrading my build:
One of the first things on my list is to replace the output caps with transformers: I have several line transformers in my partsbin...
I have searched for info about how to choose the secondary load for the transformers without success... Transformers are 1:2

I built a 4-deck version some years ago, I did not finish the build before last year, decks mounted on the new mainboard. Outputcaps as a start. I have glimpsed through many of the pages of this thread, and appreciate the efforts done by Doede and several diy'ers.
Time has come to spend some time upgrading my build:
One of the first things on my list is to replace the output caps with transformers: I have several line transformers in my partsbin...
I have searched for info about how to choose the secondary load for the transformers without success... Transformers are 1:2

Can you provide some more details about your transformers?

If you DDDAC outputs have a slight DC imbalance between POS and NEG (they all have some imbalance), your trannies need to tolerate this without saturating the core.

I'd suspect that a 1:2 step up might give you too much gain. I'd try them "backwards" first, giving a rather low gain. But since most audio chains have too much gain anyway, that might be fine.

Thanks, see pics, The tribute is 1:1+1
The amplifiers on the second picture are gm70's of my own design and making, input sensitivity is about 3.2 vpk for full output, hence the step up...

Attachments

• line input's.jpg
    line input's.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 345
  • gm70se.jpg
    gm70se.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 346
Last edited:
Thanks, see pics, The tribute is 1:1+1
The amplifiers on the second picture are gm70's of my own design and making, input sensitivity is about 3.2 vpk for full output, hence the step up...

Ok, I'd just pop those in and see what you get. Also, I'd recommend to minimize the DC imbalance by tweaking the load resistors.

Buuuut... on your photo, the box in the middle seems to be some kind of volume control / attenuator. Why don't you use a TVC (transformer volume control)? This would work as a transformer output for the DAC and a "lossless" volume control at the same time. Much better than the conventional pot, which "burns" most of the signal in the resistors. The Sowter 9335 is a great option and works well with the DDDAC. I use it in both my DDDACs, and so do others.

The box contains a Tribute nanocrystaline silver wired AVC
It’s outstanding,

I bet it is, in the right application. The label says "toroidal", so it will be rather unhappy with a bit of DC. You are pushing your luck with thisone in the DDDAC.

however as link between the dac and the amplifier the proposed Sowter is interesting

Yes. Doede tested this transformer in a DDDAC using his Audio Precision analyzer, and it came out very well. No worries with the residual DC.

Actually I went to Lundahl as well with my expectations of bandwidth, maximum output voltage and the fact there must be room for some residual DC current, and the answer was they could not do it. Sowter could and the transformer is pretty high spec, so worth the Money. Of course other transformers will work as well, but most likely will not meet the expectations of high bandwidth in both ways and low distortion at high voltage Output. Do not forget, the Sowter does pimp up to 4,6 Volts rms

As the thread is quite long, I guess most questions (like mine) already have been answered...digging for them takes some time though...

I mailled Per Lundahl and asked about the ll1690 and ll7903 and dc tolerance to be sure they are not suited. Awaiting his answer as he is off a few days.

Buuuut... on your photo, the box in the middle seems to be some kind of volume control / attenuator. Why don't you use a TVC (transformer volume control)? This would work as a transformer output for the DAC and a "lossless" volume control at the same time.

when I wrote "the box..." I was referring to the volume control It's a really really nice Tribute autoformer with taps, but as a singel coil not useable in the position discussed .

BTW Sowter recommends to put the I/V resistor on the secondary side, but it seems the DDDac with Cinemag is connected with I/V resistors on board: what's preferred ?

when I wrote "the box..." I was referring to the volume control It's a really really nice Tribute autoformer with taps, but as a singel coil not useable in the position discussed .

BTW Sowter recommends to put the I/V resistor on the secondary side, but it seems the DDDac with Cinemag is connected with I/V resistors on board: what's preferred ?

The I/V resisters are also used for DC bias, so please NO experiments without the four load resistors at the DAC output :eek:

Aye Captain!
My complements on your achievements with DDDAC!
The dc measure btw 0,4mV and 1.9mV between neg and pos. I was offered to borrow a pair of Sowter 1465's , will do some testing with them, and then order a pair of custom transformers tailored for my setup. ( assuming I prefer the trafo route).

Hi, is this update only to do with the power supplied to the WaveIO board or will it also benefit if one uses a different I2S source (i use an RPi with Digi+Pro) which does not take power from the DAC mainboard?

Regards,

Andreas

Fantastic upgrade !!!

Replaced LF-50 regulator on mainboard with LT-3045. If you want to take a huge step forward, don’t hesitate, just do it.

Hi, is this update only to do with the power supplied to the WaveIO board or will it also benefit if one uses a different I2S source (i use an RPi with Digi+Pro) which does not take power from the DAC mainboard?

Regards,

Andreas

Nope, not only Waveio - all 5Volt (!) SMD IC's on the mainboard are powered with this regulator - check the Circuit diagram I share on the download part of my website

Last edited: