Zen -> Cen -> Sen, evolution of a minimalistic IV Converter

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Darlington : exactly the same as yours . Resistor value and pot ? No idea here. I assume the first resistor is to bias the base, so why not the same as your shematic ? Can't help more.

the pot and the gnd resitor are just to adjust the voltage of the TL431, you can had a resistor as well between the pot and the tL431 kathode, but you needn't. Sims are not my cup of tea. But I have a reg like that and it sounds very good on a subjective point of view. Should work fine with your LM idea and the good filtering you showed before for you analog stage. Cheap to try.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
yep your shematic is what I meant. But there is no negative, it's a ground instead the minus in your shematic: i.e you need the opposite on the other side and adapt active parts for the negative rail. Share the Gnd (minus on your shematic), what you probably did at seing your verroboard. So a classic + Gnd - : as on your verroboard

Last edited:
The circuit in post #2212 is nothing more than a current sourced shunt regulator.
If I were to do the same, I would use something a bit less noisy than TL431 and LM317.
See attached.

Patrick

Attachments

• JG Shunt.png
    JG Shunt.png
    36.8 KB · Views: 655
Custom Sen PCBs for Oppo 105d

Indulge me for a moment, but I want to share my small project.

Following on from my posts 2010, the custom PCBs, arrived, got loaded, and installed.

These don't move the goalposts and are based on EUVL's and NIC's base designs.

With respect to EUVL and everyone else, these are customized SEN and Charging board for the Oppo 105d player. They came out quite well I think and sound ok so far.

At some point, the Batteries and wires will be further tidied, but good for now

cheers

Attachments

• Overall install.jpg
    Overall install.jpg
    992.4 KB · Views: 439
  • SM_Bare-Charging-Board.jpg
    SM_Bare-Charging-Board.jpg
    806.5 KB · Views: 419
  • SM_Bare-SEN.jpg
    SM_Bare-SEN.jpg
    977.3 KB · Views: 408
  • SM_Installed-SEN.jpg
    SM_Installed-SEN.jpg
    435.1 KB · Views: 234
  • SM_Installed-Charging-Board.jpg
    SM_Installed-Charging-Board.jpg
    816 KB · Views: 398
  • SM_Overall-install.jpg
    SM_Overall-install.jpg
    994.2 KB · Views: 225
  • SM_Charging.jpg
    SM_Charging.jpg
    991.9 KB · Views: 204
  • SM_Playing.jpg
    SM_Playing.jpg
    1,006.8 KB · Views: 224
Last edited:
@PhopsonNY nice design!:)

I also recently decided to build a new dac for myself based on 2xPCM1704 and SEN (2SK146) output stage. I'm experimenting the last with four-layer PCBs. This is my second four-layer PCB. I just sent it to production. I wonder what will come of this.;) Prototype sounds promising. For SEN power supply I use 8xLifepo battery per channel (aprox. 26V)

Attachments

• l4.png
    l4.png
    73.9 KB · Views: 175
  • l3.png
    l3.png
    64.8 KB · Views: 159
  • l2.png
    l2.png
    68.5 KB · Views: 162
  • l1.png
    l1.png
    73.4 KB · Views: 188
  • PCB.png
    PCB.png
    246.3 KB · Views: 207
Fran,

did you try Salas shunt regulator with SEN

Today I built up this same supply that @elviukai mentions in his post to see can I operate SEN without using batteries. Its partly curiosity, wondering would a different power supply have a different effect on sound, and party thinking that its easier to house a "normal" mains power supply that turns out with the rest of the unit.

So the parts arrived from Reichelt and I got to work. You'll see from the photo its just made on perfboard and I had a little trouble shooting to do on the first to get it working (I had the pinout for BD140 incorrect - watch out for this, if you google BD140 pinout the first image up has the collector labelled as emitter, had me scratching my head for a while). Building the second one then was just a matter of copying the first.

I want to say that its a little more dynamic than using the batteries (Lidl branded drill Li-ion packs) but I don't know that I can reliably tell the difference. It will take longer listening to see a more mature opinion on it. My implementation is not perfect either - the supply should be in a separate box well away from the DAC and SEN and it is not. However, there is only faint noise with the amps turned up to crazy high levels, way beyond very loud listening levels. So not as quiet as batteries, but less than the noise floor of most amps I think.

So why am I even posting this - well, from reading the thread, very few people have built this power supply, and using a power supply vs batteries pops up again and again. So its just to confirm that this supply will work with SEN. Watch that BD140 pinout and don't make my silly mistake!!

Fran

In a word, no.

I had built the Joachim Gerhard one, and while the EUVL one offers better performance, I still had some residual noise from the supply that I thought wouldn't be resolved by the changes. On the other hand, I felt the sound was better than the Li-ion batteries I was using. So I sent it to a friend of mine who had a few packs of LiFePO4 batteries. He ran it from the Gerhard supply and the LiFePO4 packs and found no difference in sound - except that the stage was completely silent with the batteries.

So since then I have gone that route, series connecting 5 batteries per channel to give me around 16-17V floating and the sound is very good. The battery packs should last a very long time, so I put a note on them to remind myself to check them in a month or so. I reckon the current draw is low enough for the packs to last a lot longer than that.

So after a lot of experimentation, I am back to batteries, and to what I think is the king of them, the LiFePO4 type.

In a word, no.

I had built the Joachim Gerhard one, and while the EUVL one offers better performance, I still had some residual noise from the supply that I thought wouldn't be resolved by the changes. On the other hand, I felt the sound was better than the Li-ion batteries I was using. So I sent it to a friend of mine who had a few packs of LiFePO4 batteries. He ran it from the Gerhard supply and the LiFePO4 packs and found no difference in sound - except that the stage was completely silent with the batteries.

So since then I have gone that route, series connecting 5 batteries per channel to give me around 16-17V floating and the sound is very good. The battery packs should last a very long time, so I put a note on them to remind myself to check them in a month or so. I reckon the current draw is low enough for the packs to last a lot longer than that.

So after a lot of experimentation, I am back to batteries, and to what I think is the king of them, the LiFePO4 type.

Thanks, Good report.
Have you experimented with more LiFePO4 batteries connected in series? (e.g. 6s-8s)
As Patrick wrote:
The higher the voltage, the lower the capacitances, the lower the distortion.
But at the same time, as you connect more batteries in series, the battery internal impedance increases (as well as jfets' heat dissipation).
I wonder if there is any optimum in the amount of LiFePO4 (for example ANR26650M1-B) batteries connected in series for SEN?

Last edited:
Personally, I haven't experimented with this - it was down to how many cells I had to hand! I know i have a vague memory of someone else using 6 or 7 in series but maybe that was for something else. Also, I have a different use for this same battery pack, so it suited me to have a voltage around 16-18v.

On a completely different project, I have use 2 banks of 10 of these batteries and it worked very well.

Recently, I found an AD1865 chip in my DIYaudio junk. That's why I decided to make a new PCB with this chip (together with SEN and 2SK146BL) and add it to the DACs collection.:)
PCB based on 2xPCM1704 I already ordered 2 weeks ago.
The new AD1865 board has the same dimensions as the previous one (2xPCM1704), the same power supply, the same connectors/headers. I hope to be able to listen to both good old R2R DACs with SEN and switch easily between them depending on my preferences.
In some time (rather distant because unfortunately I have limited time for the DIYAudio hobby) we will see/hear what will come of it.:)

Attachments

• PCB.png
    PCB.png
    207.4 KB · Views: 371
  • L1.png
    L1.png
    63.2 KB · Views: 362
  • L2.png
    L2.png
    57.9 KB · Views: 345
  • L3.png
    L3.png
    52.7 KB · Views: 349
  • L4.png
    L4.png
    61.5 KB · Views: 350
Last edited:
@PhopsonNY nice design!:)

I also recently decided to build a new dac for myself based on 2xPCM1704 and SEN (2SK146) output stage. I'm experimenting the last with four-layer PCBs. This is my second four-layer PCB. I just sent it to production. I wonder what will come of this.;) Prototype sounds promising. For SEN power supply I use 8xLifepo battery per channel (aprox. 26V)

On your PCB I see only one 2SK146 per channel. I would have expected a second one or a pair of ... Do I understand something wrong about SEN?

Thank you. Learned something again ;)

Is 2SK146 the same as IFN146 ?
Interesting.:)
I don't know InterFET products and (IFN146 particularly) but I have little experience in electronics....

They seem to be trying to recreate the good audio parts that have disappeared from active sale.
In the data sheets they write: "The -50V InterFET IFN146 is a low noise high gain replacement for the Japanese 2SK146 JFET."
The price for one piece seems high. I wonder if these double jfets come with IDSS within 10mA and what about audio quality (compared to Toshiba).