Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

If you're not using HQPlayer as a Roon Endpoint, Miska's image won't do you any good. But if you are, I think it's quite nice, for whatever that's worth :)

I was able to update Venus' I2S pinout and results are promising, but the intermittent nature of this issue means I'll have to sit down and listen for an extended period of time to feel comfortable it's fixed. The horror of such prospects :) Sincerely, I thank you for sharing that detail.

For Symphonic MPD - I was given a link to it via PM on another forum. I'm happy to do the same for you if you want to shoot me a PM here, I'll pay it forward!

Thanks, I'll keep the updates coming.

...I suspect it's just a faulty input on the DAC or something else is amiss.

There is an MCLK on the I2S interface. Are you doing anything with that?
If not, could it be there is a problem with MCLK? Is the dac supposed to be fed an MCLK at some frequency, or is it exporting an MCLK for you to sync with? Otherwise, is it running a PLL to lock onto to your I2S clocks, and then generate an MCLK from that (assuming it uses an MCLK for anything at all :) )?

Not directly, no. The i2S mappings don't seem to reference or affect MCLK either, that I can see. There is no external CLK input or anything of that sort.

The manual is actually for an older unit, mine has been updated with a better DSP board in it, but the old manual references an AK4118AEQ Digital audio transceiver and to my very undeducated eye, it seems to have some relationship with MCLK. I don't believe that answers any of your questions, but it's the best I've got at this point.

Still waiting on the manufacturer to get back with me.

I do still hear an issue on the updated i2S settings, unfortunately. And my L/R are swapped now, where they weren't before. Still sounds damn good though!

Not directly, no. The i2S mappings don't seem to reference or affect MCLK either, that I can see. There is no external CLK input or anything of that sort.

The manual is actually for an older unit, mine has been updated with a better DSP board in it, but the old manual references an AK4118AEQ Digital audio transceiver and to my very undeducated eye, it seems to have some relationship with MCLK. I don't believe that answers any of your questions, but it's the best I've got at this point.

Still waiting on the manufacturer to get back with me.

I do still hear an issue on the updated i2S settings, unfortunately. And my L/R are swapped now, where they weren't before. Still sounds damn good though!

Dear toddrhodes,

That is interesting on the L/R channel swapped, the I2S pin out per Ian's documentation is actually same as your initial setting and I was setting that way previously but with my stacks, the channel was swapped upon playing DSD files, the 0-1-0 configuration is ones that get the L/R channel correctly on both PCM & DSD on my setup

Sorry to hear that your issue still remains, do you happens to have a spare XO clocks to try out?

Best

I'm wondering if it may be due to our Amanero FW - the CPLD version is where the channel swapping occurs, so maybe you're running swapped and I'm not? Either way - not a big deal at all.

I've tried the "stock" Fifo XOs, my AccuSilicons, and then my Pi2AES has NDK XOs in it. So unfortunately yea, I've gone down that road as well. Also tried a very short HDMI 2.0 cable, but I generally use a 1M cable at this point because it just makes it easier to test things. But it occurs on both.

Thanks!

Edit - I hadn't noticed you said PCM was fine but DSD was swapped. I'm not sure the Amanero FW would cause that like I suspected. Either way - no worries. I'm going to do more listening in this pinout config because anecdotally, it didn't seem nearly as noticeable nor quite as often, and I didn't get a bunch of time between meetings to take a listen ;)

Last edited:
Apparently I skipped right over this section of the DAC manual:

2.2 I2S INPUT
Venus i2s DAC works slave mode, the source i2s shall provide the necessary MCLK to work
with the DAC. The i2s is not an industrial standard, DENAFRIPS cannot guarantee the
compatibility with other i2s devices.

so , did you connected MCLK from FiFopi to J12 on the HDMIPi ? and , looking at the HdmiPi and Venus II manual your I2S output setting should be "1 0 0 " ...

Yes - and I've tried it with MCLK connected between BridgePi and FifoPi (underside connection). I think the ideal is to have both in place? I only have one disconnected right now for testing purposes.

I can give your setting recommendation a shot as well.

Curious - what am I missing that I thought it would be 111 initially? I trust your interpretation of those schematics more than my own, I just want to know where I went wrong is all.

Thank you!

Swapped DSD is a common problem. There is no standard for which way is correct, so some dacs are implemented one way, other dacs the other way.

Clicks and pops are almost certainly from no MCLK on the dac I2S inputs.

Which frequencies for MCLK does Denafrips use/need, 22/24MHz, or 45/49MHz? Something else? Is it sensitive to phase?

Last edited:
toddrhodes ,
simply look at the HDMIpi i2s pinout - "data- data+ sck+ sck- lrck- lrck+ "

(sck is bclk) and in the Venus II manual table for I2S config it looks like "1 0 0"

without MCLK is the same ?

BTW - few years ago i've got similar problem but with TPA's Teleporter module's

(I2S via RJ45) - pops and so ...

and DO NOT connect MCLK out on BridgePi to MCLK OUTPUT on FiFoPi ! (it is output only on the FiFoPi !)

Last edited:
Swapped DSD is a common problem. There is no standard for which way is correct, so some dacs are implemented one way, other dacs the other way.

Which frequencies for MCLK does Denafrips use/need, 22/24MHz, or 45/49MHz? Something else? Is it sensitive to phase?

Got it - thank you. And while I would not proclaim to actually know what I'm talking about, but I do believe the i2S input access MCLK, it's just not a configurable pin like the ones in that screenshot are (LRCK, BCK, etc...). This is their pinout diagram from the manual, just below the screenshot I took earlier of the configurable pins:

U8gaTA4h.png

If I'm wrong or misunderstanding, I don't mind being told so :)

toddrhodes ,
simply look at the HDMIpi i2s pinout - "data- data+ sck+ sck- lrck- lrck+ "

(sck is bclk) and in the Venus II manual table for I2S config it looks like "1 0 0"

without MCLK is the same ?

BTW - few years ago i've got similar problem but with TPA's Teleporter module's

(I2S via RJ45) - pops and so ...

and DO NOT connect MCLK out on BridgePi to MCLK OUTPUT on FiFoPi ! (it is output only on the FiFoPi !)

Ok, that makes sense. I was looking at the diagrams like I just posted and obviously reading them wrong. What you're saying makes total sense.

And to restate from my last reply - I think MCLK is there, just not "configurable." I think.

And thank you for the clarification on the BridgePi --> FifoPi connection. It is not connected now and I will leave it so.

Thank you all!

Missed that last bit - they use 45/49 internal clocks.

It would appear something in the documentation is amiss.

I just tested all 8 possible configs, starting with 100. That results in audible hiss, as do three other permutations: 000, 100, 001, and 101. These all have one thing in common - D- D+ on pins 1/3 respectively.

All other combinations work, and I take back everything I said about channel swapping - apparently when I switched gear last night on two shelves, being very careful to put back everything as I found it, I must have swapped L/R input to my preamp because even the 111 setting I had been using with correct L/R orientation was now swapped. So, mea culpa.

I'm going to listen to the other four options that produce no hiss, see if any work "pop free."

I undertook all this to learn something new - mission accomplished from that perspective.

Hi,

coming from the DDDAC thread, I need some help please regarding FIFO Pi Q3.

I have it in my system for quite some time now. I'm very pleased soundwise when a track is running, no pop / clicks, very clean and detailed sound, great soundstage.

But there is one issue I'm struggling with: When I start playing a new track or jumping to a new position within the same song, there is often one short (loud) click / pop. After that the track plays without issues with great sound. The click volume differs, sometimes it is quiet I can almost not hear it, but most of the times it is really loud and I'm afraid that my speaker get broken!?! Also the 'position' of the click moves: Most of the time on the left side, sometimes the click moves to the middle and right side of the soundstage. Really strange.

I have done some tests but to summarize:
RPI I2S -> FIFO PI Q3 -> DDDAC: Clicks and Pops at track start
RPI I2S -> DDDAC: no issues

I'm running volumio, but I have also tested with moode. Same issue.

If have done some tests with different settings without success:

I've set the I2S DAC Model to HifiBerry and test wise to Generic I2S.
I have switched on audio respampling to force 24 Bit output. And I've disabled resampling and used the fifo pi 32 bit transformation.
If have exchaned the Accusilicon clocks against the default clocks for one test.

Because I thouht this comes from EMI issues I have ordered a GPIO extension cable to get some space between RPI and FIFO PI. But also not luck with this.

In the DDDAC thread there are a few other people with the same effect, but they have not done tests to isolate the fifo pi as the cause of the issue, so maybe I'm still the only person with this issue!? Just doing something wrong, or my copy is broken!?

Do you have an idea? Someone with the same issues? I would really love to keep the FIFO PI in the system because sound is great when track is running, but the clicks in the beginning are driving me crazy...