Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

BridgePi for a RPi free digital transport over RPi stack

With BridgePi, to setup an high perfromence independent PCM/DSD transport has never been as direct as this. RaspberryPi free becomes possible.

BridgePi + Amanero or other compatible USB streamer + TransportPi/HDMIpi.

DSD up to DSD512 and PCM up to 384KHz works great.

Again, I'm highly recommend use a ConditionerPi as power supply for better quality right away.

BridgePiTransport1
by Ian, on Flickr

BridgePiTransport
by Ian, on Flickr

Ian

Hi Ian,

I have an issue with receiverpi playing independently without the rpi. I initially removed L1 and shorted L7 since i was using 3.3v ps. Now if I don’t power rpi, i have no sound even if i have music playing into the optical of receiverpi. How do i use the receiverpi without the rpi attached. I have fifopi on top of receiverpi then going to transportpi. All is good if rpi is powered on. But i want to remove rpi on the stack.

Thanks

Hi ian

Attached are pics of the stack.. rpi4, receiverpi, fifopi, transportpi..
In my setup, i have to power up rpi and play music before i can use the receiverpi. But if i remove rpi, I cannot play music through receiverpi

Thanks

Attachments

• 40C44823-3957-4C74-82AD-20F3B0CC01FC.jpeg
    40C44823-3957-4C74-82AD-20F3B0CC01FC.jpeg
    108.4 KB · Views: 721
  • C18DD44F-67EB-4134-8B6E-CF643760F5B4.jpeg
    C18DD44F-67EB-4134-8B6E-CF643760F5B4.jpeg
    144.8 KB · Views: 721
  • 2983E45D-F436-4C3D-9761-830F16ADC578.jpeg
    2983E45D-F436-4C3D-9761-830F16ADC578.jpeg
    132.5 KB · Views: 719
Hi ian

Attached are pics of the stack.. rpi4, receiverpi, fifopi, transportpi..
In my setup, i have to power up rpi and play music before i can use the receiverpi. But if i remove rpi, I cannot play music through receiverpi

Thanks

Do you have power LED D4 on TransportPi lit with RPi removed?
And the power LED on ReceiverPi?
Do you have lock LED lit on FifoPi?

Ian

How does incorporating a ConditionerPi into a full FIFO stack work without a rpi? If you were to power BridgePi with Amanero + FIFOPi + RecieverPi with a ConditionerPi would all of the boards be powered via ConditionerPi? If you add a rpi, would all bords be powered or only the rpi and you would nee another 5v supply for the FIFOpi?

How would this compare to a McFIFO implementation?

With BridgePi, to setup an high perfromence independent PCM/DSD transport has never been as direct as this. RaspberryPi free becomes possible.

BridgePi + Amanero or other compatible USB streamer + TransportPi/HDMIpi.

DSD up to DSD512 and PCM up to 384KHz works great.

Again, I'm highly recommend use a ConditionerPi as power supply for better quality right away.

BridgePiTransport1
by Ian, on Flickr

BridgePiTransport
by Ian, on Flickr

Ian

ConditionerPi will provide clean power to GPIO. So TransportPi will be powered by ConditionerPi.

Amanero is powered from USB, but USB power doesn't go to any other board.

If FifoPi is included, it will need an isolated power for the clean side. But you can still start from ConditionerPi, either 5V or 3.3V (need additional 3.3V LDO board)

I'll post more pictures soon.

Ian

No longer a dream, Native DSD256 over RPi GPIO through BridgePi

Hi,

It's the first time I got the native DSD256 signal out of GPIO. I use Volumio. BridgePi works great. RPi native DSD over GPIO is no longer a dream. Maybe I can forget the DoP.

USB streamers have a lot of advantages working with Rpi. All Amanero size USB adapters can be used. But my real test shows, under Volumio or Roon plug in, my Amanero can go only up to native DSD128 though they listed DSD512. My another XMOS USB can go up to DSD256. It could be Linux driver issue. I'm trying to find other USB that can go DSD512. Please let me know if you have any information.

In Volumio settings, please disable I2S DAC with selecting the recognized USB as the output device. Then, select native DSD.

The simplest configuration could be just,
1. RaspberryPi
2. BridgePi with USB streamer
3. TransPortPi or HdmiPi

An Ess controller can also work as an music format analyzer/monitor.

Ian

Attachments

• RPiVolumioDSSD256.jpg
    RPiVolumioDSSD256.jpg
    563.3 KB · Views: 332
  • VolumioNativeDsdSettings.jpg
    VolumioNativeDsdSettings.jpg
    402.8 KB · Views: 289
  • VolumioDSD256.jpg
    VolumioDSD256.jpg
    465.4 KB · Views: 253
Ian,
It’s a matter of firmware with Amanero. If I recall correctly, Amanero could do DSD512 (certainly DSD256 - I’ve done it myself) with DSC2.
I think the proper firmware description is in the DSC2 thread.

Thanks luchoh, You are right. It's related to the FW of Amanero Combo384.

I'll figure it out and post the update.

Ian

Challenge native DSD512 on a RaspberryPi thriugh BridgePi

I finally make it! Got native DSD512 from GPIO on a RPi through BridgePi. I use Amanero Combo384 as the USB streamer. Here are the steps:

1. Flash Amanero Combo384 with FW that supports DSD512 & PCM 768KHz
CPLD: 1081_DSDSWAPPED
CPU: 2006be13

2. Install the Amanero Combo384 to a RaspberryPi 4 through the BridgePi. (ESS controller is just used for GPIO signal monitor, for best possible sound quality, FifoPi and ConditionerPi are highly recommended)

3. Volumio setting
Select USB Combo384 Amanero as output device with I2S DAC disabled.
Select DSD direct.
Enable Roon plugin

3. Roon setup (optional)
Settings-Audio Enable Volumio as roon device
Select this device as Zone
Select Native DSD and Up to DSD512 and Up to 768KHz

Now I can enjoy native DSD up to DSD512 either directly from Volumio or through Roon.

It's really great. Now I can do a lot of thing based on this platform.

Good weekend.
Ian

Attachments

• RoonSetup.png
    RoonSetup.png
    89.2 KB · Views: 537
  • EnableRoonVolumio.png
    EnableRoonVolumio.png
    15.7 KB · Views: 524
  • VolumioSetings.jpg
    VolumioSetings.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 574
  • BridegPiUSBstreamer.jpg
    BridegPiUSBstreamer.jpg
    223.3 KB · Views: 1,379
  • FlashAmaneroCombo384.png
    FlashAmaneroCombo384.png
    98.5 KB · Views: 547
  • DSD512.jpg
    DSD512.jpg
    876.1 KB · Views: 311
... and I thought using a BridgePi meant that you didn't need a raspberry pi?

RaspberryPi GPIO has restrict to play native DSD. And DoP is also limited to DSD128 only. So BridgePi is the only solution to play native DSD and DSD512 (as well as all PCM) over RPi HATs. Software and everything else will keep the same no change. The only thing is that you need to select the USB DAC in the software settings.

Of course, it's true it can work without a RPi, So you can connect the BridgePi to a mini PC or what ever else without changing anything. That makes it even more flexible.

Good weekend.
Ian

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Very nice Ian!

But still a bit confusing to me, until I saw the USB cable between the RPi and Amanero:rolleyes:

Would this work with a ReceiverPi in the stack?

I.e. RPi - ReceiverPi - BridgePi (w. Amanero) - FifoPi - DAC HAT - I/V

Would the same thing work without a BridgePi, but with the Amanero output connected to the I2S/DSD input on a ReceiverPi?

Does it have to be RPi 4?

Thanks!