Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

Hi !

just recently i have became a proud owner of a McFifo+DualXO (with NDK oscillators).
At the moment is feeding my DSC2.6.2...

What a Combo !

I also own a DSC2 and I surely say on my system and to my ears outperforms by a long measure the re-clocking technology used over the DSC2.

Said that, one thing that has easily proved its utility was the McFifo Display addon. I have tested it with the "classic" configuration of arduino Nano+LCD.
One thing that i have not liked of that solution (despite the very user-friendly approach) is the bulkyness and the (IMHO) not-so-great display technology.

So i have "ported" it over a much (again... IMHO) nicer package with a small OLED 128x64 (like some that is currently using ian over other products). So it became very easy-mountable on chassis and offer a better UI.

If someone is interested i have no problem sharing all the details, but, for the time sake... i will leave you with some photos and a video of the thing in action.

YouTube

Thanks IAN for such a great product !.

Michele
\

@Michele

Where can I buy a DSC2? I'm really interested in it:)

Ian

@Bert,

I use Amanero,

Which is the little board?

Ian

That should be the isolated buffer for USB/I2S, like the Hermes-Amanero from TPA, right?

Attachments

• 684898E8-7380-48D4-A63A-A45E0C1F8964.jpeg
    684898E8-7380-48D4-A63A-A45E0C1F8964.jpeg
    572.8 KB · Views: 333
Hello. At last i have my i2s fifopi q2 reclocer from france shop. I have conected to rpi4 and soekris 1021 dam dac and check it work well on org clocks. But i have 45 and 49 absolute hi end muzgs cmos 3.3v output 45 and 49 clocks with their own power suply. and i have connected them. After powering reclocer on board xo leds arw blinking,they dont ses new clocks. Why? I think every thinks is coonnected good. Clocs after measured have 1.55dc ouput. Please help me,why reclpcer dont se clocks? Very thanks

Attachments

• 20200610_002506.jpg
    20200610_002506.jpg
    1,021 KB · Views: 328
  • 20200610_002713.jpg
    20200610_002713.jpg
    999.8 KB · Views: 315
@advr,

ReceiverPi has a control jumper with which you can switch between Toslink and RCA (coaxial).

Please find document here for details,

DocumentDownload/ReceiverPi at master * iancanada/DocumentDownload * GitHub

Regards,

Ian

Hi Ian,

Yes I already read about that, thank you.

The thing is I have two spdif resources.
A toslink and coax... And the jumper is inside...

Maybe I could find another solution but I will definitely by a ReceivetPi[emoji4]

Regards,
Ad.

Hi Ian,

Yes I already read about that, thank you.

The thing is I have two spdif resources.
A toslink and coax... And the jumper is inside...

Maybe I could find another solution but I will definitely by a ReceivetPi[emoji4]

Regards,
Ad.

1. You can extend the jumper with wires as a setting switch, that's easy.
2. Or, software solution: My ResceiverPi reserved GPIO control signals for RPi, if you want, you can write a simple code to control the switching, or ask somebody for help.
Please read the user's manual for this information.

Regards,
Ian

Hello. At last i have my i2s fifopi q2 reclocer from france shop. I have conected to rpi4 and soekris 1021 dam dac and check it work well on org clocks. But i have 45 and 49 absolute hi end muzgs cmos 3.3v output 45 and 49 clocks with their own power suply. and i have connected them. After powering reclocer on board xo leds arw blinking,they dont ses new clocks. Why? I think every thinks is coonnected good. Clocs after measured have 1.55dc ouput. Please help me,why reclpcer dont se clocks? Very thanks

FifoPi Q2 needs XOs having OE control signals. I didn't see you are using them.
(Please see user's manual)

If you clock doesn't have the OE control, please try to use only one at a time for your music frequency.

Regards,
Ian

Ian, in looking at the various Fifo options I wanted to confirm the differences. SQ-wise, should all function at approximately the same level and the differences are input optionality? It also looks like all are capable of running by themselves.

To confirm, the differences between the various options are that (x) the FifoPi stack contemplates direct integration with a Rasberry Pi (but receiver pi and transport pi can also be used without) (y) McFifo offers multichannel i2s input, maybe for surround sound operation, but no Rasberry Pi and (z) FIFO II stack offers two selectable i2s inputs, also without Rpi.

I would plan to run i2s from a USB to i2s device into receiver pi, plus an optical in. It looks like receiver pi can auto-select the "live" signal. It also looks like this can be operated with or without a Rpi. Should an isolator pi board be used? I don't see it pictured in the DAC stack you included in the guide.

Also, what is the board you use between the Amanero and receiverpi?

Thanks!

Okey i know what is going on with clocks. 45 and 49 mhz clock have same output and pin 1 from 45 and 49 are powering on them.for now i have connected just 45mhz clock. Im thinking to put a 3v coil micro relay and fpr deufalt will be 45 but when fifo fill need 49 it will power on pin1 from49clock and it will put on relay .

FifoPi Q2 needs XOs having OE control signals. I didn't see you are using them.
(Please see user's manual)

If you clock doesn't have the OE control, please try to use only one at a time for your music frequency.

Regards,
Ian
Please tell ,e how many mA coil in 3v relay i can use to connect to OE control pin in XO side? I want to connect relay to control changing 45/49clocks.

Please tell ,e how many mA coil in 3v relay i can use to connect to OE control pin in XO side? I want to connect relay to control changing 45/49clocks.

Hi Bmzmen,

OE is a LVTTL signal. You can not use is to drive a relay coil. And, even you can, the coil will also pick up noice from environment.

Please use one clock for now and wait for my FifoPi Q3, it will be capable for XOs without OE.

Regards,
Ian

Ian, in looking at the various Fifo options I wanted to confirm the differences. SQ-wise, should all function at approximately the same level and the differences are input optionality? It also looks like all are capable of running by themselves.

To confirm, the differences between the various options are that (x) the FifoPi stack contemplates direct integration with a Rasberry Pi (but receiver pi and transport pi can also be used without) (y) McFifo offers multichannel i2s input, maybe for surround sound operation, but no Rasberry Pi and (z) FIFO II stack offers two selectable i2s inputs, also without Rpi.

I would plan to run i2s from a USB to i2s device into receiver pi, plus an optical in. It looks like receiver pi can auto-select the "live" signal. It also looks like this can be operated with or without a Rpi. Should an isolator pi board be used? I don't see it pictured in the DAC stack you included in the guide.

Also, what is the board you use between the Amanero and receiverpi?

Thanks!

Hi ,

McFifo + McDualXO solution is the highest level fifo solution works for both multi-channel and stereo mono blocks (can duplicate channels).

For your project, I would suggest you stick with FifoPi. I'm working on a AmaneroUSB bridge project that can integrate a Amanero USB streamer with RPi or only FifoPi which will meet all of your requirement.

Regards,
Ian

Hi Bmzmen,

OE is a LVTTL signal. You can not use is to drive a relay coil. And, even you can, the coil will also pick up noice from environment.

Please use one clock for now and wait for my FifoPi Q3, it will be capable for XOs without OE.

Regards,
Ian
Hi sorry but im starting play fifopi2 and for now im not thinking to change anythink. Mayby i can drive relay by transistor? like this Controlling Relays with Logic signals. it must be corect and siple way to coonect relay or multiplexer.

Not the most elegant solution.. but I manage with one clock by choosing the clock that plays most of my music. In my case almost all redbook so the 45. Then set the player to use SOX resampling to redbook. So when I hit a 96 or 192 it still plays. I really can't hear an improvement in HiRes, so I'm likely alone in my redbook preference. Given this scenario, I'll likely move to a higher Q 5mHz clock when available.

Take a look that link where is some example to use vttl signal to drive relay. I want to check 3v relay driverd by bc550 transistor. I will power relay with another batery, not same that is powering reclocer. And from XO site pin 1 byy 2,2k resistor to bc550. It will be good? Very thanks.

Take a look that link where is some example to use vttl signal to drive relay. I want to check 3v relay driverd by bc550 transistor. I will power relay with another batery, not same that is powering reclocer. And from XO site pin 1 byy 2,2k resistor to bc550. It will be good? Very thanks.

A diyAudio member from HongKong did this months ago. But I don't have his ID for now. Maybe you can ask him for sharing some experiences.

Ian

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Possible solution for Topping D90 playing native DSD music through HDMI IIS

Some diyAudio members told me that they had problem playing native DSD music on Topping D90 DAC through HDMI IIS input. PCM music has no any problem.

I think the reason could be that the D90 can not detect DSD signal when native DSD was sent through HDMI IIS. So I did some research and found that it's possible to switch D90 into DSD mode manually by setting pin15 of HDMI signal to high.

On the my TransportPi and HdmiPi transmitter boards, I reserved a input "signal" that can set pin15 of HDMI high or low. They are:
J9 for TransportPi
J8 for HDMIPi transmitter

So, if you are using my TransportPi or HdmiPi for D90, the current solution is to connect a switch between the on-board 3.3V output and the "signal" pin. Manually switch it on when you play native DSD over the HDMI IIS. And switch it back to off when you play PCM.

Down the road, maybe I'll consider providing an automatic PCM/DSD switch solution.

Please let me know for any update.
Ian

Attachments

• Pin15ControlSolution.jpeg
    Pin15ControlSolution.jpeg
    605.2 KB · Views: 585
Last edited: