Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

XMOS-based Asynchronous USB to I2S interface
XMOS-based Asynchronous USB to I2S interface
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th January 2020, 10:21 AM   #3231
Raj1 is offline Raj1  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith1962 View Post
Finally got round to doing this and success, latest firmware and drivers installed as long as we discount the beta 4.80 for nwXMOS-based Asynchronous USB to I2S interface.
Would offer to help with beta testing but just no time to get involved at present.
One problem I have with the dsd playback is a background hiss clearly audible during playback. Something to do with the set up in Eunhasu or Roon I think but cant get to the bottom of it.
Also have a loud thump through speakers when first starting up and changing inputs on Najda and when first starting playback. Only happens right at the start and not afterwards.
KR
Keith
On devices like this, hiss from DSD usually implies the wrong filter is being applied for the sample rate.

DSD clicks and pops are to be expected unless you have some kind of mute feature active during startup.
Old 11th January 2020, 05:32 PM   #3232
hollowman is offline hollowman  United States
Banned

The goal is to get classic equipment in and out of the workshop as QUICKLY as possible!!

So let's set up a scenario in which a USB to I2S adapter (you pick your fave) were dropped into a classic CD player.

Now, if one were to do that would (should) one disconnect the native I2S lines (traces) from the chip before (e.g., decoder or oversampling DF)?
Or could one simply tap the three I2S pins on the DAC or DF chips?
Old 13th January 2020, 05:51 PM   #3233
hollowman is offline hollowman  United States
Banned

Default USB to I2S to SAA7220

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowman View Post
The goal is to get classic equipment in and out of the workshop as QUICKLY as possible!!
I'm surprised no one has taken up this challenge.
Indeed, even the folks at I2S over USB Audio - Home note that their adapter can't connect to an SAA7220 because of its relationship to the decoder chip (SAA7210).
Given the HUGE market potential -- millions of classic Philips CDPs out there, still in good shape and with their "acclaimed" multi-bit sound -- it's surprising that a drop-in solution (or a suitable hack) does not exists.
Yes, the SAA7220 sounds good when paired with the TDA1541, and deserves to the left in.
Old 22nd January 2020, 11:18 AM   #3234
Lorien is offline Lorien
diyAudio Member

@ hollowman: I'll consider next time when I'll improve the WaveIO board! It the best I can do in actual circumstances! I'm sorry if I can't do more for now!

Quote:
Any chance of DSD 512 support? This is one of my favorite USB to i2S interfaces, but I really need DSD 512 to take full advantage of my latest setup. It is worthwhile to have support.
@ Raj1: I'm in process of adapting the actual hardware to support DSD 512 as you wish! I hope it's possible!

Windows drivers: it seemed that v4.80.0 drivers from Thesycon had some compatibility issues with XMOS DFU firmware but now all are fixed in v.4.82.0 release so later is available now.

Kind regards,
L
Old 22nd January 2020, 04:03 PM   #3235
Ryssen is offline Ryssen  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Is there a link to the latest drivers?

Ihave a new e-mail: temsa@bredband.net

Last edited by Ryssen; 22nd January 2020 at 04:07 PM.
Old 23rd January 2020, 09:37 AM   #3236
Lorien is offline Lorien
diyAudio Member

I'll post a link on my website int he following days!
You'll get a link in the following minutes!

Kind regards,
L

XMOS-based Asynchronous USB to I2S interfaceHide this!Advertise here!