Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

XMOS-based Asynchronous USB to I2S interface
XMOS-based Asynchronous USB to I2S interface
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th November 2014, 12:54 PM   #2201
Crom is offline Crom  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jptz View Post
@crom

Do you use an usb cable without the 5V connection?

For me the test firmware only works when 5V is connected between computer and waveio.
Firmware 3.33 works also without this connection. I use an external 5V PSU.
aha...jptz you may have something there. My USB has the 5v connection taped off. I will change this and report back! Thank you very much for the idea.
Old 10th November 2014, 08:48 PM   #2202
Nosian is offline Nosian
diyAudio Member

Default Digital Volume Control

is it possible to get digital volume control in this board?
or from XMos anyhow?

the reason I'm asking, is this board here with VC.
Old 12th November 2014, 01:00 AM   #2203
wlowes is offline wlowes  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kp93300 View Post
Hi wlowes,
Can you share how you remove the old chip?

kp
I am not at all experienced in SMT work, so others can offer their tips.
I watched a few YouTube vids on SMT soldering. I used a soldering iron with a fairly wide chisel tip with some solder braid to remove as much solder as possible on the side that does not have other close parts. Then applied a gentle upward pressure on the chip while running the soldering iron across all the pins on one side. It let go and bent up a bit. Then more gentle pressure with tweezers while running soldering iron across the other set of pins. It slid right off. Then clean up the pcb with the braid and then some alcohol on a Q tip to clean the pcb.
Old 12th November 2014, 03:33 PM   #2204
Lorien is offline Lorien
diyAudio Member

I would like to add to what Walter said above that in my case, removing all the solder with a solder braid prior heating up all the pins didn't worked all the time as expected, especially to the "strong" pads without any thermal relief available: in this case I'm speaking about the GND pin of that EEPROM chip (pin 4). Instead I deliberately add additional solder on my iron tip and try to spread to as many pins as possible on that particular side. This way, when I'll heat it up there are high chances for that joints to melt as well. Keeping the iron there you can gently lift that side of the chip with tweezers (or a needle in my case).
Obviously, this procedure can be applied for both sides of the IC and use the solder braid only when you have to clean up the pads.
A downside to this process is that you have to be careful not to use too much solder. If you run into troubles and can't manage to heat up all the solder ball properly just rise the iron temp. My chinese crap usually does show ~360 Celsius but I don't know from where does it take that value as I have a strong feeling that's not so 'real'.

Kind regards,
L
Old 12th November 2014, 08:18 PM   #2205
Ryssen is offline Ryssen  Sweden
diyAudio Member

From 03.31 i flashed the newest FW and got 3.33 not 6.60 that i read in the txt,am I doing sommething wrong?
Old 13th November 2014, 03:53 AM   #2206
kp93300 is offline kp93300  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

Thanks to Walter and L for the helpful tips.
Old 13th November 2014, 01:49 PM   #2207
Ryssen is offline Ryssen  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryssen View Post
From 03.31 i flashed the newest FW and got 3.33 not 6.60 that i read in the txt,am I doing sommething wrong?
I had to use the DSD file to get 6.60..
Old 15th November 2014, 07:24 AM   #2208
Lorien is offline Lorien
diyAudio Member

Hello! Last night I managed to finish the customization work so, for anyone interested, a new version of WaveIO drivers for Windows OS is available for downloading here. The pack is taken directly from Thesycon and it seems that XMOS doesn't have it... yet.
Have fun,
Lucian

(P.S. The DDDAC variant will come out in a few hours)
Old 15th November 2014, 10:16 AM   #2209
Crom is offline Crom  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Thanks L, should this version be used in preference to the beta? In other words has it had the tweaks that you worked on following Ian's testing?

DOH!! Sorry, please ignore my stupidity. One is firmware and the other is a driver... I'll go back to bed now :-)

Last edited by Crom; 15th November 2014 at 10:24 AM.
Old 16th November 2014, 08:37 AM   #2210
m.massimo is offline m.massimo  Italy
diyAudio Member

Default new 2.24

2.24.0 works fine on my 0x0330 board.

XMOS-based Asynchronous USB to I2S interfaceHide this!Advertise here!