XMOS-based Asynchronous USB to I2S interface

The main reason for not considering an RCA/anything_else connector on SPDIF output is because it will add some mechanical constraints regarding the position of it related to any cabinet BluWave might be fit into! I'm not happy about USB connector too but I really have no choice on this matter since the signals involved here are pretty high and sensitive thus a *fixed* solder joints are preferable over most of the high-speed connectors carrying a decent price range.
As for SPDIF, any short coax cable (cut to a desired length) and soldered to a mating RCA connector would give the most flexibility one can ask for. Still, in the future I'll consider reserving some spare room for a RCA/BNC FP.
Kind regards,
L

Hello Cristoph, here's the updated list, as you requested:

1 x carsten.witt
2 x Chii
1 x triode_al
1 x blueixus
1 x abanico
1 x kumori
1 x taggart2

As from this moment - if there's no one in above list that will give away his card - there's no BluWave board left available for this small GB. The rest I have are already reserved and will start shipping quite soon!
Kind regards,
L

Hi guys,

After a short break started using my Waveio again in combination with a dddac. I remember using windows with jriver the sample rate leds worked fine and as expected. For now i'm first trying a linux box (ubuntu 16.04) but the samplerate leds don't seem to work at all. Should i tweak a setting somewhere?

Thanks, Sander

Hi guys,

After a short break started using my Waveio again in combination with a dddac. I remember using windows with jriver the sample rate leds worked fine and as expected. For now i'm first trying a linux box (ubuntu 16.04) but the samplerate leds don't seem to work at all. Should i tweak a setting somewhere?

Thanks, Sander
It is working well on Linux with latest firmware for me.

Hi Lorien,

Will the BluWave board something you will be offering via your website?

I'm interested in trying out this board. I think that a fixed spdif cable will be cumbersome (especially packing and transportation) and that it is better to offer this with a rca or bnc connector and sell the required spdif cable separately.

For me an AES/EBU connection would be ideal, but I don't think this will be the case for most users:rolleyes:.

Kind regards,
Audionootje

Hello,
yes, it will be available along with WaveIO card! Regarding SPDIF there are a couple of things that made me looking for the solution already adopted on this BluWave card:

1. Since we are not living in a perfect world, we all now that any RCA connector can give you nightmares in certain cases and here I'm strictly referring to poor connections => a bad signal at SPDIF output. In my opinion a strong connection made by two solder joints will solve this problem. That's why the output holes are strengthened with additional vias = to not allow for the pads to be easily damaged. Anyway, that doesn't mean that are indestructible. :eek:

2. An RCA connector - at least the one I wished to use in this design - will rise the price a bit and force you to accept my choice and this wasn't accepted in a cost sensitive design.

3. In actual board, you're free to add any 75R coaxial cable from the pads of the SPDIF output of BluWave to any RCA/BNC connector you like to use on your setup.

4. Taken 3 into account, you can place the RCA/BNC socket in any position in your cabinet. I really doubt you ca do this on a PCB having an already mounted RCA/BNC on it!

Kind regards,
Lucian

Edit: I forgot to say that I do not solder coaxial cables on a BluWave board thus not selling coax cable with this product. I like to offer free choice for every DIYer for as much as possible without adding constraints.
AES/EBU: if BluWave would provide an AES/EBU output then I'm assuming that that stage must be powered from external PSU since in actual configuration, with actual linear LDOs on this board, there would be no "juice" left from, let's say, an 2.0 USB port to power up AES/EBU circuitry in a proper way.

Last edited:
Should be fine. I measured 480mA max at the highest sampling rate.

Also, keep this in mind with regard to the input voltage: "* Note maximum power dissipation 2.5 Watts is the current multiplied by Vin - Vout. For example if the input voltage is 10V, and the output voltage is 5V, then the drop is 10 - 5 = 5V. The drop multiplied by the current must not exceed 2.5 Watts. So in this case the max. current is 2.5 / 5 = 0.5 A or 500mA" (NewClassD UWB 7805)

Nick

@ bvlabs: as Nick said, ~0.6A will be enough but watch out for power dissipation to your NewclassD reg(s)!

The main reason for this post is to let all those in the BluWave list know that I finally find a compromise for all these new boards in my long trip to perfection! The list is available @ post #2964 but I'll copy it below:

1 x carsten.witt
2 x Chii
1 x triode_al
1 x blueixus
1 x abanico
1 x kumori
1 x taggart2

@ audionootje: if you're interested I can add you to this list too but please note that I have only one board available!
I'll send PMs to each one above with payment details so please allow me a couple of moments to do this!
Boards are now in assembly stages, some are finished but for some I need a couple of more days to make them ready.

Kind regards,
L

@ Kanutus:
Any way (or need?) to update FW on the card from Mac or Linux?
There's no need to update the firmware unless you want DSD support (and your WaveIO - if you have one - isn't update already).
As for firmware updating procedure, the most safe and reliable one is through (hugely blamed) Windows OSes. AFAIK, there's no support for Linux and on MACs, WaveIO does share different USB PID compared to many other USB converters on the market which makes things difficult in this case. Like I said, Windows would do the trick for you OR you can send it here and I'll make sure it's working properly!

is it possible/useful to connect the master clock from WaveIO to the BBB?
Possible?: yes
Useful?: I don't know what are your plans with it. :)
Kind regards,
L

@ Kanutus:
There's no need to update the firmware unless you want DSD support (and your WaveIO - if you have one - isn't update already).
As for firmware updating procedure, the most safe and reliable one is through (hugely blamed) Windows OSes. AFAIK, there's no support for Linux and on MACs, WaveIO does share different USB PID compared to many other USB converters on the market which makes things difficult in this case. Like I said, Windows would do the trick for you OR you can send it here and I'll make sure it's working properly!

Possible?: yes
Useful?: I don't know what are your plans with it. :)
Kind regards,
L

Hi! And thanks so much for your answers! In regard to the external clock to BBB (from Waveio) I was wondering if SQ could be better because of the synchronised clock (if that is what is happening, or is that already taken care of on the waveio board itself?). BBB has only 48Mhz clock, but can be hooked up to a master clock (I think?) ...
So, if it could be done, it would be super nice, if not, that is ok too :)

I don't have experience with BBB and its clock related stuff on it but WaveIO can source master clock to it (BBB) and can accept clocks from external source(s). It happens that recently I have changed a WaveIO to accept external clock signals. Anyway, those clocks should have the 24.576 MHz and 22.5792 MHz values. As you can see, 48 MHz is not a good one in this case! Perhaps someone with better experience with BBB can help you on this matter!