ackoDAC based on ES9018

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm interested, and have read this thread, but still have a couple of questions:
1) Its not clear if there are any functional or audible improvements over the buffalo solution, especially as the prices for a total module (with regulators) is more for AckoDAC. Has someone done a comparison between the two vendor solutions?
2) I want to build a multichannel DAC, however its not clear what the IS2 solution is for multi-channel (4 x Hi-Face boards from qusp?)
3) I don't see a lot of details on the MCU solution. As I want to integrate this solution with a PC, I'm thinking of writing my own MCU solution (Pic based). Is this viable?

Postage should be less as I'm local :)

if you've read the thread, seen the layout and haven't noticed that most of the owners or at least many of us, also have buffalo but use ackodac in preference i'm not sure what else i can say. I've also mentioned many other differences in this thread and others i.e. cleaner uncluttered layout, cleaner impedance controlled spdif and i2s connection scheme, higher quality parts, all smd parts (A big plus in my book if they are high quality) the possibility of master synchronous clocking already, true aes if that matters to you.

the mcu provides a direct and total link to the dac registers as well as tactile controls, not a lot can be said, you need to get the es9018/12 data sheet to see whats possible there, it doesn't provide any functionality of its own, just brings out hardware and software control of the dac. there is a data sheet/manual for it, you'll have to ask acko

shall i go on? the MCU already provides the control that has been in the works from tp for ages and looks like shouldn't be too far off now (but then thats been the case for a while). theoretically you could do multichannel with the hiface boards, although i'm not sure what that has to do with me and its not the way i would do it, i don't have any affiliation with them and don't sell them. you could easily use the exadevices board for multichannel.

i have no idea why you would bother designing your own mcu, the time involved to match it would be huge, i know how long it took acko, its not trivial, you would be much better off writing software to interface with what is there either with the wifi module, or via ftdi serial connection; then share it with us ;) go the iPad imo, thats what i'm working towards; rudimentary control by iPad is already possible via the ftdi connection and 3rd party console apps on the iPad, but something dedicated and graphical would be excellent!!

local shipping is free afaik, or at least very cheap.

and just to be clear, i'm just a vocal user/owner. please contact acko for more info

Last edited:
qusp, thanks for the feedback. Please appreciate for someone new to this topic its not so obvious about the differences when wading thru 39 pages... But good to know there is a higher emphasis on quality vs the TP solution.

Definitely don't want to duplicate work if its not needed, basically I want to control the volume (8 channel ganged) from the PC, if there is a serial port were the volume function is accessable then I can control that from my MCU (and happy to share any code/schematics I develop for interfacing).

I have probably missed it in the thread, and I can't see it on the web site, but I can't locate any information about interfacing serially with the DAC. Do I need to purchase the AKC18 then there is serial connections on the AKC18 I can use, or is the MCU on the main DAC board and I have a choice of using the AKC18 or something I can brew up & connect via i2c?

I'd prefer the hiface boards as it can use WDM drivers, the EXA board is only ASIO, but again its not clear how that would work (and I assume it wouldn't as each HiFace module would create a unique device in Windows which won't work with home theatre player software which expect to use a single but multichannel device).

I consider myself to be experienced with DIY audio but I can't work out exactly with AckoDAC how to put together a multichannel solution for home theatre use. Sorry for so many questions and if I missed something earlier in the thread - It would be great if there as a single document that explained in more detail than the couple of bullet points per product on the Ackdac web site, like the TP Buffalo integration guide.

I have purchased two Acko's premium boards with ESS9012, dual set of regulators, master clock and MCU. Still working on the 4 channel active set up with Light harmonic USB to I2S. Since I am not finished with my project yet, I cannot comment on sound, but just based on concept and built quality these DAC should sound like a million bucks.

As for the support I would say that I am so impressed with Acko's dedication and willingness to go to any length in order to make sure that I succeeded. I think it is quite fair saying that he spent more supporting me than what I paid for my order. Quite amazing and rare to have such an outstanding experience.
If you are thinking about it, here is extremely happy customer.

Thank you Acko!

Vladimir - AR2

ermm, not sure you have quite the understanding of what an mcu is mcspack (its a term that spreads further than this one). the exadevices unit will allow volume control of the i2s streams, that is all, no control of the dac chip parameters whatsoever, which is what the mcu is all about the exadevices unit will not replace the mcu, without it you have no control of any dac settings and must use it in the default

Last edited:
btw deanbob, sorry for being a bit of a jerk yesterday, was a long shitty day and what may be obvious to me is not necessarily obvious to you. the multiple hiface thing would work as a composite device on macOS, but still not the best solution. this project is not like the twisted pear 'DIY' stuff where you get spoonfed stuff like the integration manual (which it took a user to produce and compile, not TP themselves) Acko is very helpful and the manuals and datasheets for the devices you are asking about will go a long way to explaining things to you, but they cannot be just published as they include IP.

this project assumes a certain amount of knowledge of your own about setting things up. agreed the website has outgrown the project and needs a comprehensive facelift to make it clear what is needed for a full system. for sure this dac takes more work to set up right, but it rewards you when you do. it also provides functionality unavailable any other way if you are a hardcore tweaker. the sound is what you make of it, its a superb design with all the hard work done for you, but you must fill in the blanks. it is actually DIY

the Light Harmonic Titan multichannel usb-i2s board mentioned above also does what you want, although i'm not sure of win support yet.

No problems, we all have those days ;)

I'm OK for this project aimed at advanced users, and I don't need to be spoonfeeding either although some level of documentation is required (eg. is there a i2C connector that I can control the volume from an external MCU without needing the extra controller board?). I had a closer look at the PCB photos on the web site to try to understand this kit a little better, and there is no MCU on the main board unless its on the bottom of the PCB, so I guess the controller board is needed.

Looking at the pricing, it gets pretty steep pretty quickly for a DIY solution:
- $375 for the DAC board
- $148 for the controller
- $365 for regulators
- $165 x 4 for 8 channel hiface i2s
- $130 x 4 IV modules
- $178 x 2 power supplies

Total for an 8 channel DAC is over $2400 for DIY modules, albiet a pretty high end build. I'd prefer to support an Aussie DIY vendor but I'm struggling with the price difference compared to the significantly cheaper Buffalo, even if the Buffalo might not be quite up to the standard of this DAC. I'd like to pay under $1000 for a 8 channel setup.

Great vote of support from AR2!

I will be mating the DAC with a set of DIY Hypex Class-D amps (will be using their new nCore high end modules, with separate supplies per module), and I have a set of Dunlavy SC/IV-A speakers as mains, in a dedicated & acoustically treated home theatre, using blu-ray 24 bit source material via a HTPC. I consider this a pretty high end setup but unsure if the extra cost for the AckoDAC will be audibly better than the Buffalo even with my setup (I'm sure the others commenting who have purchased the AckoDAC and can hear a difference have a better setup than I do).

I have a number of Paul Hynes regulator PCBs from a previous project never started, so I could save a few $$ on the regulators, and I see the EXA I2S board is also cheaper for 8 channels but if possible I don't want to use the Virtual Serial Cable software to bridge WDM to ASIO (Also I'm a Windows user, not Mac). Acko mentioned early in the threads that bare PCBs are an option so this might be the way to go, as the ESS chip with its fine pitch can be soldered DIY if you are careful. A decent IV board is not hard to whip up, and I can get quality boards made in China from a supplier I have had success with previously.

I looked into the Light Harmonic solution as mentioned here and I can only find a built up DAC for $12K with a similar design, no mention of a Titan USB to I2S module.

I assume I have to send Acko a PM to get more information.

yeah send acko a pm, how exactly were you planning on getting a buff with multichannel input and output for 1000? your dreaming.

the mcu is separate, though is included in the cost afaik, i have no idea why you would want to start again from the ground up and a completely blank dac without any filters, up sampling settings, not even spdif input of start up sequence, when the work has already been done for you to expose all the settings on the dac (perhaps you didn't realise the mcu is included?). until there is software developed, you can just use terminal to control all the settings via the included usb->serial adapter, or with the wifi module and an iPad or netbook

4 x hiface module is not an option (i'm not even sure you can make an aggregate device in windows), theres a clock distribution nightmare and 12 regulators just there.
there is also an 8 channel iv on the way. either the EXA unit or titan (its the usb input from the 123k dac you found) when released are the only options for connecting multichannel usb to sabre via i2s, there are a number of spdif solutions of course.

only you can decide whether you are willing to make those compromises in high frequency interconnection and layout to save a few bucks. people who build the ackodac don't do it to save money, well i know i sure didn't and imo its a pretty misguided reason to build high end diy audio, because most times even if you don't value your time and especially in Oz due to often multiple international shipping fees, it just doesn't work out that way. especially if you like it to look nice as well

i can tell you from first hand experience you will not save money buying just the pcb and getting your own parts, you will lose money. not only can you not buy just 1 x es9018, but even if you could; you have 50 dollars plus shipping there, about 100 for the teflon with gold plate pcb, 14 x 4 for the panasonic 5mOhms polymer caps, 14 x .50-.60 for the np0 ceramics, about 20 bucks for the thin film resistors, 20-25 for the w.fl smd bnc headers, 40-50 for the xo, then the mcu. its the same on all the boards, i got onboard early on and actually did just buy blank pcbs for a few things and it does not save money some maybe a few dollars, others cost more, even without taking international shipping or the time putting the orders together into account. try and do it locally at element14 and youll pay heaps more. Acko has actually priced the kits quite fairly

so 50 + 20 for the dac
100 for pcb (highest quality pcb I've ever seen in the flesh)
64 for polymer caps
20 for r's
10-12 for np0
20 for w.fl
40 for xo
30 minimum for shipping from digikey
356 right there without even taking the mcu into account and as you mentioned already, that warm fuzzy feeling buying Australian, which also means local support

other options to save a bit are using other psu before the regs, even unregulated well smoothed would be fine as the psrr is very good. batteries would also work. if you used very high quality regulators that are able to be mounted very close to the dac as ackos are, you could either lower the size to say 47-68uf, or delete altogether most if not all of the polymer caps and leave only the np0, that would save a bit, but still doesn't get around the mcu, or the fact that afaik its impossible to buy just one dac chip.

Last edited:
Yes, I doubt 4 x separate hiface interfaces would work. Its I2S or nothing as a SPDIF solution is unlikely to beat my existing DAC (Lynx Two B pro-soundcard). If Acko is developing a multi-channel USB to I2S board then that would be a better solution (the twisted pair guys are planning one as well?).

Fair comment about the price of the parts, what you have outlined is a no compromise BoM and it costs more. Regulators and the IV (x4) I could save some $$ by using my own design & implementation.

Regarding the MCU, are the ESS chips that hard to program? I have experience with MCU interfacing and have not come across a chip that couldn't be relatively easily programmed (not quite, I struggled with one chip that had a documentation error about register setup....)

I'll wait for Acko to respond to my PM to see what he recommends for my needs, and provide access to more technical documentation (eg. ESS register settings & initialization).

Hi Deandob,

The user's manual has more details about this DAC. I have PMed you already.

The DAC module itself is very basic and allows you to configure a system with the rest of the modules of this project or with any other equivalent types

Thank you all for the posts. I will try to answer the specific points raised when i get some free time. Still a lot of work as you can see on my "wall" :)

Hi all

What happend to the thread - Any news, pictures, feedback?

Any experience with different PSU?

Anyway, It sound like ESS is still the best DAC around, so ill try the following system:
- PC with winXP+foobar
- exaU2i
- AKD12P
- controller AKC12
- PS - diy (salas bib bjt for 3,3V, and salas "disco" for 1,2V)
- IV - diy (i will try different stuff .. mainly pass D1 and tube, perhaps transformer later on)
(my rig: Kevin Gilmores diy T2 + headphone stax 007 (maybee 009 later).)

>acko

Can I get some more informations about Synchronous Master Clock AKX Series?
how to switch 44.1k / 48k, buffered or not, etc...

>pedefede

I had tried the same PSU scheme as you are planning, on another sabre32 dac (Buffalo II).

It will require large space (or enclosure) to install and more trafos if you want to isolate all regs.

Once successfully installed, I believe you will be never disappointed with the result. They work quite well with sabre32.

I actually dont think its that great an idea personally. the physical size means that the regs cannot be closely coupled to the dac, meaning that the onboard decoupling caps on the dac board will do the heavy lifting anyway, the salas shunts are great, but huge and imo not that suitable in their standard form for something like the analogue reference for the dac or AVCC; as the temperature effects the Vout too much and with 7 of them in close proximity the temperature will definitely rise. i dont like the idea of a dac that needs to be sealed and needs to 'warm up' before its stable.

now if you can get past the space and heatsinking issues, you could perhaps use something more stable WRT tempco than a resistor and/or LED for the reference. you could forget the use of LEDs here and use something like Zfoil or other high quality resistor with good stability vs temp, or a reference like LTC6655 instead.

the standard regs for the crucial supplies like AVCC, DVDD L/R and Vosc are really quite excellent already and to better them i believe the only option is batteries

also if you plan on using the NTD1 IV stage as i am, you will be faced with another 50W of heat in the case (much more if you use shunts to power it) to get rid of, you could easily end up with a dac that dissipates over 100W, so you would need to case it like a power amp

Last edited:
Sorry, I had missd the fact that AKD12 has total 7 voltage inputs for DAC chip.

I agree with you qusp, 7 salas shunts for one DAC will make managing heat and
layout quite harder. I cannot recommend powering all 7 Vin with those regs.

I had only tried separate 3 regulators - for AVCC, DVCC, and VDD(digital and analogue) , thus It was rather easier to manage.

there is no more regulators needed than the 9018, exactly the same, its just the AKD12 exposes them all as standard.

he could just use salas regs for the analogue supplies AVCC L/R, DVDD L/R and the clock, but thats still 5 right there and combined with the NTD1, its just too much without serious planning and thought would have to be put into keeping the voltage on DVDD L/R and AVCC L/R stable so they track each other, so LEDs cannot really be used imo. some will do it and think it sounds great, it probably will, but i dont believe it would actually be an improvement over the standard AKR33/3312 AD797 based regs.

if you designed a special custom case with substantial heatsinking on the bottom of the chassis and designed a mounting system to allow salas regs to somehow plug directly in like standard, while allowing short connections to the IV and it'll work pretty well, but thats not a trivial thing. i suggest starting with stock plus the NTD1 and working from there.

Last edited:
he could just use salas regs for the analogue supplies AVCC L/R, DVDD L/R and the clock, but thats still 5 right there and combined with the NTD1, its just too much without serious planning and thought would have to be put into keeping the voltage on DVDD L/R and AVCC L/R stable so they track each other, so LEDs cannot really be used imo. some will do it and think it sounds great, it probably will, but i dont believe it would actually be an improvement over the standard AKR33/3312 AD797 based regs.

Thanks a lot for your advice on PS! :)

Questions:
1) What do you mean with 'tracking' DVDD and AVCC voltage? That they should be similar? (meaning the challenge is to get similar "drift" with tempereture?)

2) Given the premise of higher tempereture - Do you have some sort of link, to threads with your meantioned "no-LED" based shunt-PSU ?

3) A noob'ish question about SMD: Why build SMD-PSU?
Are the components better? or is it mainly the performance-advantage from smaller wire-length (especially in HF digital supplys)?

My thinking:
I do think you can use multiple salas shunts for dac. The voltage and current is so low, that each supply makes less than 1W. (I build Quanghaos dac-ash kit, that has 6 salas shunts on board, with so low Watt-emission, that they dont even have sinks!). (You can also use low ppm resistors at essential positions)

Space is another issue! But i think the boards could be made & arranged, to get the output almost as close, as the stock PSU. That is because you "only" need to squeeze 2 supplys in, on each of the 4 sides... So you have 3 planes: 1) 8 PSU, 2) DAC, 3) IV

The real reason for wanting salas PS, is to reduce price on the project (and the ability to tweak them later on) .... so if they just perform similar to the stock PSU, im satisfied.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.