Sheared cartridge bolt in headshell

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
sounds like I should take it to a machine shop.

If you attempt this using a handheld electric drill, and do not have the headshell firmly clamped in a vise, then there is a very high chance of the drill bit slipping and causing damage to the aluminum headshell.

On the other hand, if the headshell is firmly clamped, and you use either a drill press, or have a very steady hand, and a sharp drill bit, you are very likely to be successful. Of course it would be best to start with the smallest drill bityou can find, and work your way up in size to one big enough for the easy out to work. The file tang is a great substitute for an easy out.

For small fiddly stuff like this, I have a manual, crank operated drill I use, so I can stop it immediately if something isn't going right.

I support the idea to get a machine shop to do it, if you lack the right tools or skill. All it would take is one small slip up to completely ruin it.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I once drilled out the core of an aluminum screw that got sheared off inside a Benz cart. I bought the cart that way, mind you, not my doing ;)

Anyway, I first tried cutting a slot into the remaining bit to get some torque on with a screwdriver, but not a chance. The screw had seemingly fused to the threads and the newly formed slot wore down quickly. So I filed down the remaining stump and went to town with the drill press.

After drilling out the core (nerve wrecking) I had to pry the screw's threads from the cart's threads. All in all it went as planned. Just thought I'd share.

Attachments

• 20180523_194329.jpg
    20180523_194329.jpg
    639.2 KB · Views: 97
  • 20180523_194744.jpg
    20180523_194744.jpg
    615.1 KB · Views: 98
  • 20180523_200230.jpg
    20180523_200230.jpg
    539.1 KB · Views: 94
I once drilled out the core of an aluminum screw that got sheared off inside a Benz cart. I bought the cart that way, mind you, not my doing ;)

Anyway, I first tried cutting a slot into the remaining bit to get some torque on with a screwdriver, but not a chance. The screw had seemingly fused to the threads and the newly formed slot wore down quickly. So I filed down the remaining stump and went to town with the drill press.

After drilling out the core (nerve wrecking) I had to pry the screw's threads from the cart's threads. All in all it went as planned. Just thought I'd share.

You've got the tools. My drill press is far too crude for that sort of work.

Does anyone know what material cartridge bolts are made from? Are they aluminum or steel?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.