Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Is this supposed to work?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd December 2019, 04:25 AM   #21
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

Let me see. So I am sitting here at the bench, and have an idea for a circuit. Instead of dummying up the circuit with solder right now, I should enter the circuit into board prep, send it to China, and wait for a board to arrive?
Old 3rd December 2019, 04:53 AM   #22
PRR is offline PRR  United States
diyAudio Member

There's a NASA spec for deadbug:
DISCRETE WIRING - DEAD BUGS
Old 3rd December 2019, 05:08 AM   #23
avtech23 is offline avtech23  Australia
Certifiably addicted to DIY.
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo View Post
Let me see. So I am sitting here at the bench, and have an idea for a circuit. Instead of dummying up the circuit with solder right now, I should enter the circuit into board prep, send it to China, and wait for a board to arrive?
Yes. No excuse.
The ever growing project list.. :NAP140 Clone, NAD 3020i & 3225PE, JLH1969, TDA2050, Fender 5F2A Princeton, NE5532 Pre, SHPA, B1 Korg, T2. : VSQC Phunk Style, Retro 50W, Filmosound 601, LM4780. : Apex AX-14, TGM-10, TDA7265 (Last in line)...maybe
Old 3rd December 2019, 05:33 AM   #24
myleftear is offline myleftear  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Default Is this supposed to work?

There has once been a great man saying »Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.«

And now here we are.

What‘s simpler: PTP (requires technique and imagination, lots of) or first make a board (sorry, german, but: like this: Frag Jan zuerst- Ask Jan first: Roehren und mehr ) which requires imagination and technique, lots of).
Old 3rd December 2019, 05:39 AM   #25
wiseoldtech is offline wiseoldtech  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avtech23 View Post
Harsh perhaps?

Just remember that this kind of stuff used to be in commercial production...

Click the image to open in full size.

There is a radio guy on Youtube that I saw a while back who shows some of that 'island' technique (which is mainly for prototyping btw) here: YouTube

I thought it to be quite useful for quick and dirty testing or for quickly constructing test rigs. More sturdy than plastic breadboards anyhow.

Indeed, that "old school" point-to-point wiring was common for the old tube stuff.
BUT...... you have to understand that even though it looks messy, it was solidly constructed with tag strips and anchors to the chassis, AND the layout was thoughtfully laid out for proper reliable operation.
Wires leads were strategicly "dressed" a certain way, components were also dressed for hum reduction, etc.
It wasn't done by a child as some kind of slop mess.
Old 3rd December 2019, 06:22 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSnell Electronic View Post
This technology was used in RF techniques especially RF pre amplifiers as they mount in a screened box as a ground plane, to prevent stray capacitance and interference problems.
Looks like it will work but very Heath Robinson!
This seems to make sense, too. But I may get it wrong.
here's a hybrid, somehow:

http://www.waltergiers.de/img/erotischerZyklus.jpg

or a state of the art arrangement:

https://www.analogfan.de/galerie304844.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg erotischerZyklus_900.jpg (720.9 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg revox_f36.2.jpg (117.9 KB, 100 views)
Old 3rd December 2019, 06:33 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelwright7557 View Post
Given the onset of very cheap Chinse pcb's there is no excuse for that kind of solution now.
KICAD is free and $5 for 5 pcb's is peanuts.
If I could do it myself I'd never send it overboard, ahem, abroad.
Old 3rd December 2019, 07:10 AM   #28
JMFahey is offline JMFahey  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myleftear View Post
I just stumbled upon a website, qrp-popcorn.blogspot.com, where this image is published. This looks so weird I'm asking myself if this is actually supposed to work? how?

(is this really just a free-floating PTP construction, and all grounding is soldered onto the copperplate while the parts are connected in the air? Is this grounding working?)
The hint you missed is right on the page name : QRP
Which means very low power very long distance Amateur RADIO
As in "working (connecting to) all 5 Continents using a 1W transmitter" and similar "impossible" feats.

That type of construction is fine, or even better *recommended* on RF work prototyping.

But ... but ... the 10 for $5 PCBs? ... getting "fluid" to etch your own? ... solderless protoboarding?

I´d like to ask: WHICH PCB?
An RF, specially very high frequency PCB design is a NIGHTMARE
We are talking designs where a couple inches straight track become transmission lines, where straight angle bends radiate more power than the "official antenna" if you are not very careful, etc.

So while prototyping: AVOID the PCB , make part to part connections as short as possible , have a nearby ground plane everywhere, and this type of construction starts making a lot of sense.
As mentioned above, there even is a NASA spec for this kind of construction.

AFTER you have tweaked your design to satisfaction, THEN you can start designing a PCB.

Which also will need debugging ... lots of it.

In this particular case, project Author is a solidly RF based guy, who just happened, as a side experiment, to design an Audio Amplifier.
Can you blame him for using a technique with which HE is experienced and comfortable?

But ... but ... what kind of Frequencies is he used to work with?

Well, maybe this snippet from another page where he wonders about ballast Emitter resistors might give you a clue about what´s his normal area of work:

Quote:
RF Assessment

With a strong RF background, the term 'wire wound resistor' strikes a bit of fear in my heart. I measured my resistor's inductance, plus swept 1 in a tracking generator + spectrum analyzer from ~ 9Khz to 1.3 GHz.

Typical inductance of the couple of resistors I tested from my batch= 889 nanoHenries. My sweep revealed that the series resonant frequency (SRF) of 1 of my batch of resistors = ~ 109 MHz. The notch @ ~ 109 MHz isn't very deep; it's around 14 dB down from reference. (clearly very different expectations than ours )

This fits with my lab experiences. I keep a good selection of wire wound chip inductors for building circuits in the 100 - 1200 MHz region. Every chip inductor I own has been swept and characterized — I keep a high Q, Coilcraft, wire wound, 880nH, size 0603, SMT inductor and its SRF = 104 MHz. In truth, a chip inductor & a power resistor compare poorly, but give the chip inductor gives a ballpark SRF reference of what to expect.

Of course, the SRF notch of my high Q SMT part is ~44 dB deeper than a lousy 16 Ω power resistor. Since the power resistor is low in resistance (and will go in parallel with other 16 Ω resistors), its a low Q inductor — and with a SRF above 100 MHz, it will work fine as an AF power resistor.
Again: VERY DIFFERENT experience from ours.
Old 3rd December 2019, 11:29 AM   #29
DF96 is offline DF96  England
R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseoldtech
That thing's nothing more than some slop mess.
And anyone constructing such crap shouldn't have access to a soldering iron.
On the contrary, that can be an excellent way to build a prototype, especially if the builder knows what he is doing. For some DIY, every circuit is a prototype.
Old 3rd December 2019, 11:35 AM   #30
nigelwright7557 is online now nigelwright7557  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
On the contrary, that can be an excellent way to build a prototype, especially if the builder knows what he is doing. For some DIY, every circuit is a prototype.
The advantage of a pcb is very little wiring to do.
Its mostly just soldering in components.
You can also use SMD with a pcb.

Even for a prototype a pcb will at least give a neat reliable base to start with.

Given the project will probably go to pcb later anyway then what you have is a starting point.

With the availabilty of good simulation software you should be close to getting the circuit right anyway.

Is this supposed to work?Hide this!Advertise here!