Lepai T-Amp with TA2020

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Fin said:
I suppose you could use them for all sorts of things.

You would need a power supply going to each speaker as well - but that isn't a problem.

Would you use one channel for each speaker driver?

Yah, that's the idea. I'm currently learning how to work with FR drivers at the moment, and I think I'm going to stick with them until I get better at building speakers. I'm thinking about trying a pair of Parts Express NSB driver-based in a sealed bipole, though, and if I need more power, I can just use one channel per driver.

I might just use 'em to hack a pair of bookshself speakers into some very inexpensive active monitors, though.

Well - I've just got one of them powering an inefficient pair of bookshelf speakers....and I'm happy with the sound. Not the loudest in the world, but fine for normal listening...........but the sound quality just keeps getting better. Using two of them to power a pair of active speakers would have to sound great.

That's if he has 40 of them. Last I heard - he only had a few left - but maybe he can get more (hopefully).

$225 for 5 of them (shipped) is still quite good considering that they sound OK in stock form. That is about $45 each. In comparison - The SI T-Amp is selling in Europe for 43 Euro plus shipping. That's about $55 each plus shipping.

Fin said:
That's if he has 40 of them. Last I heard - he only had a few left - but maybe he can get more (hopefully).

$225 for 5 of them (shipped) is still quite good considering that they sound OK in stock form. That is about $45 each. In comparison - The SI T-Amp is selling in Europe for 43 Euro plus shipping. That's about $55 each plus shipping.

Are they really that much better than the T-amp?

Also, in Europe, you have VAT. In the states, we don't - T-amps can be had for as low as $25.

At the prices he's charging, it makes more sense to get 5 Amp32 kits ($27 ea., for a total of $135) and a used SMD rework station to go with it.

Fin said:
Yeah - the shipping cost is the killer. Always better if you can get something locally.....and it's a bonus if you're handy with SMD.

for us down here in OZ - as uaual - things are always the other way around :usd:

Having shipped things from China before, I can say that for 5 of these, shipping would not likely be more than about 30$ or so, providing extra-super-slow ground shipping was used. (I ordered a replacement R/C car part from a vendor in china, and it took two weeks - and it cost me about 6$ to ship by itself.)

Spasticteapot said:
it might make sense to use these for building "active" speakers - just stick one in each speaker, and you're done!

This idea got me thinking about bi-amping......and I found some info here on the SI T-Amp.
SI T-Amp Bi-amping.

If I can get hold of a second one of these T-amps, I could easily fit two inside my case - along with two SMPS (which I already have). Will it work? And what do I need to be careful about to avoid it all blowing up?

I've actually already asked him if he can get hold on more, he can but he says it may take longer than 2 months :(

Looking forward to my one arriving, will have to get off my **** and get my BiBs built before they get here.

If you're going to biamp might you not be better off using a more powerful amp to drive your low end?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
To Bi-Amp you still need crossovers of some sort.
You can stick with the same passive filters you may already have, or go to active filters. Active filters have a lot of advantages.

You will also need to have one volume control to drive both amps. Not hard to do. If you go for amps of different power in each section, you'll need to match gain, as well.

No - I'm hoping to use two identical lepai T-amps.......

For a passive setup - do I just need a pair of bi-wirable speakers - with the links between the terminal for the tweeters and woofers removed?

For the volume control - is a normal stereo pot ok - with each amp connected in parellel?

zBuff said:
I've actually already asked him if he can get hold on more, he can but he says it may take longer than 2 months :(

I wonder if I could just buy a carton of 'em and resell them?

I don't have the time to ship them...but I might be able to employ someone who can.

(His parents are very, very adamant he gets a job, and he does'nt want to actually go anywhere to do it.)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.