Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

6 Channel TPA3116 + DSP
6 Channel TPA3116 + DSP
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd October 2019, 08:47 AM   #1
grahamgraham is offline grahamgraham  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default 6 Channel TPA3116 + DSP

Morning all!

Since my stalled project to sync several class D boards for bi-amping is at the mercy of international delivery I've turned my attention to another project.

It is a stereo tri-amped active DSP system (2 x 4" mid [8ohm]/ 1" tweeter [4ohm] satelites & 2 x Tang Band 6.5" [4ohm] subwoofers - sealed) and I think I have found the board that will do the trick for it:

AIYIMA TPA3116 Amplifier Audio Board 5.1 Channel Digital Power Amplifier Board 50W*4 100W*2 DIY 5.1 Home Theater DC12 24V-in Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on AliExpress - 11.11_Double 11_Singles' Day

6 Channel TPA3116 + DSP-aiyima-tpa3116-amplifier-audio-board-5-1-channel-digital-power-amplifier-board-50w-4-100w-2-jpg

It looks quite tidy, the output inductors look fairly chunky and similar to Wurth counterparts which might indicate they have a similar saturation point of around 6A (744750420100 | Wurth 10 μH +-20% Ferrite Power Inductor, 6.2A Idc, 15.5mΩ Rdc WE-FAMI | RS Components). I will be using the balanced in connections via some better quality coupling caps from 3 x Sure ADAU1701 DSP boards.

The subs would be run from the two PBTL chips whereas the mids and tweeters will have chip each to share.

What do you guys think of it? I have ordered it just to see what it's like for now.

As far as PSU goes I was looking at this but have been told this is overkill:

SANPU SMPS 24V 500W DC LED Switching Power Supply 20A Constant Voltage Single Output 220V 230V AC/DC Transformer Driver Indoor-in Switching Power Supply from Home Improvement on AliExpress - 11.11_Double 11_Singles' Day

But I would prefer something sold in Europe that has to conform to our safety regs even tho it is a little under-powered. Could I use bulk caps to get round this?

MEAN WELL LRS-350-24 Switching Power Supply SMPS 24V 14.6A 350W - Audiophonics

This is not a big budget build otherwise I would have looked at other boards but finding balanced ins and multi-channel is difficult to begin with!

Last edited by grahamgraham; 22nd October 2019 at 08:50 AM.
Old 22nd October 2019, 09:24 AM   #2
Turbowatch2 is offline Turbowatch2  Germany
diyAudio Member

Donīt use Sure DSP. It suckīs.
This one, at close range, is much cheaper. It has all the stuff Sure forgot and you can only add at huge costīs.
ADAU1701-2In4Out | 3e Audio

Two of them should be enough.
Old 22nd October 2019, 09:38 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbowatch2 View Post
Donīt use Sure DSP. It suckīs.
This one, at close range, is much cheaper. It has all the stuff Sure forgot and you can only add at huge costīs.
ADAU1701-2In4Out | 3e Audio

Two of them should be enough.
Brilliant, I had looked at them before but had disregarded them due to lack of balanced input however, this system is largely bluetooth based and I can use the I2S input from a board. Thanks Turbo!

Did you have any thoughts on the board or power supply at all?

Last edited by grahamgraham; 22nd October 2019 at 09:57 AM.
Old 22nd October 2019, 11:52 AM   #4
chermann is offline chermann  Austria
diyAudio Member

Hi Graham

i used the PSU meanwell LRS350-36V on a TPA3255 board/amp. the psu is not too expensive and works well.

the board i donīt know..be careful before you use good speakers. make tests before..

chris
Old 22nd October 2019, 12:20 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chermann View Post
Hi Graham

i used the PSU meanwell LRS350-36V on a TPA3255 board/amp. the psu is not too expensive and works well.

the board i donīt know..be careful before you use good speakers. make tests before..

chris
Thanks, yes, the amp is an unknown. I am not getting my hopes up too much!

Do you think the PSU will have enough grunt for this application?
Old 22nd October 2019, 12:49 PM   #6
Neil Davis is offline Neil Davis  United States
diyAudio Member

6 Channel TPA3116 + DSP
I've used that 6-channel amp for two different projects. It works fine, but you will need to be very careful about running your grounds or else you will have a lot of noise from those 6 amps switching at the same frequency. This link shows the amp I use for my computer speakers, which makes them active 3-ways.

I've got another version underway with that amp shown in the picture. Both of these projects use the "Revision 2" stereo 3-way ADAU1701 board described in this link. There is a new version of the board on the workbench, awaiting some parts, that uses the $16 ADAU1701 learning board. That one should be very easy to build, as it has no SMD parts.
Attached Images
File Type: png Monitor_amp[1].png (457.1 KB, 1059 views)
Old 22nd October 2019, 01:08 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Davis View Post
I've used that 6-channel amp for two different projects. It works fine, but you will need to be very careful about running your grounds or else you will have a lot of noise from those 6 amps switching at the same frequency. This link shows the amp I use for my computer speakers, which makes them active 3-ways.

I've got another version underway with that amp shown in the picture. Both of these projects use the "Revision 2" stereo 3-way ADAU1701 board described in this link. There is a new version of the board on the workbench, awaiting some parts, that uses the $16 ADAU1701 learning board. That one should be very easy to build, as it has no SMD parts.
Thanks Neil! Wow, this board has been around for a while, I'm surprised.

Are the chips not in sync mode? I suppose that is something that could be done fairly easily. Using balanced in to each input I will have a decent chance of avoiding unwanted noise.

I noticed that the one I have (black PCB) is version 3.1 of the design, not sure what the difference is. Maybe they address the syncing? Time will tell.

What PSU would you recommend I don't recognise the one in your image.

Cheers!
Old 22nd October 2019, 01:58 PM   #8
Neil Davis is offline Neil Davis  United States
diyAudio Member

6 Channel TPA3116 + DSP
The noise problem is due to switching currents in the ground lines, and balanced inputs won't fix the problem. There is actually an error in the picture--it shows one of those LM2596 DC-DC converter boards to provide the 5V for the DSP from the 24V. That configuration will result in lots of noise, even with no input. There is also lots of "chatter" whenever the Bluetooth interface is used to control the DSP. I need to replace that non-isolated DC-DC converter with an *isolated* 24V-5V DC-DC converter so that the DSP and amp only share a ground at the amp input connection. I forgot that I had done that on the other amp that I made.

I use smaller power supplies, in the 75W-200W range, because there is no way you will ever need 50W continuous from each amp for music. The power supply in the picture is just a $10 65W supply from MPJA. This amp will be for a 4" tall 3-way computer monitor stand using 2-1/2" "subwoofers", so I didn't need a lot of power. The other amp uses the Meanwell UHP-200, which is 200W but it is about half the size of their other 200W supplies.
Old 22nd October 2019, 02:19 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Davis View Post
The noise problem is due to switching currents in the ground lines, and balanced inputs won't fix the problem. There is actually an error in the picture--it shows one of those LM2596 DC-DC converter boards to provide the 5V for the DSP from the 24V. That configuration will result in lots of noise, even with no input. There is also lots of "chatter" whenever the Bluetooth interface is used to control the DSP. I need to replace that non-isolated DC-DC converter with an *isolated* 24V-5V DC-DC converter so that the DSP and amp only share a ground at the amp input connection. I forgot that I had done that on the other amp that I made.

I use smaller power supplies, in the 75W-200W range, because there is no way you will ever need 50W continuous from each amp for music. The power supply in the picture is just a $10 65W supply from MPJA. This amp will be for a 4" tall 3-way computer monitor stand using 2-1/2" "subwoofers", so I didn't need a lot of power. The other amp uses the Meanwell UHP-200, which is 200W but it is about half the size of their other 200W supplies.
Interesting. I had planned on using the Mornsun b0505s-1w type DC-DC isolators for both BT and DSP boards coming from one of the LM2596 boards you used, hopefully that will keep things clean. They will all have their own ground but I am not sure of the power consumption of the boards so I don't know if they will be enough.

Which isolating DC solution are you going to switch to?

Are there any other provisions I should take to help keep noise down?
Old 22nd October 2019, 03:09 PM   #10
daemonsgr is offline daemonsgr  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

can amps like these be used with 105++ db CDs? (110db maybe) or we are asking for trouble?

6 Channel TPA3116 + DSPHide this!Advertise here!