NAD C390DD (C 390DD) does not power on failure with fix

Agree. I have done work on single side PCBs but this one am sure I will mess it up. haha. I emailed NAD parts department to see if they sell this PSU B. Once I get a replacement I will then try to fix this board. Interestingly not other caps on other boards show any sign of bulge. Why is that only PSU B boards are getting this issue? The nearest to me is Just audio in MD but they have a 12 week wait period. Hopefully its only the PSU B board issue.

Hi Kiran. I doubt they will sell the board part to someone who is not an authorised repairer, but they do (or at least used to) have the populated boards available and they could do the repair for you (or an authorised repairer could).

From another forum I have seen a repair quote from Lenbrook (NAD) where they replaced a different board (PSU-A) and they charged 2 hours service at $60 per hour, plus about $242 for the PSU-A board. Canadian dollars. That was in 2017

In Australia the PSU A and B boards were about AU$500 each if I remember correctly.

Might be cheaper if you could find a good repairer and instruct them to replace capacitors in the psu-b board. Though that could cost more depending on their hourly rates and would probably take longer. No guarantee that that is the fix required though.

Good luck.

Hi Kiran,

In the meantime, if you want to check out the other functionality of your amp - in case it is actually turning on just with no display - note that it has an rs232 serial port that can be used to change settings on the unit. So if you can figure out how to use that you could use the amp and see if it works. It can be used to change source and volume and some other settings.

Thanks Nugaluk. I just ordered Hakko desoldering gun. Its just caps so I think i will try my luck. I would be interested to check the functionality. I will read up on rs232 serial port. So what you mean is if I am able to make changes with it, it will work? Understand that there wont be a display but you sure I can make it sound if I apply the correct source etc. Thanks again in advance.

There is no certainty - so I am not sure. We are not even sure if the amp is fully turning on (without display) or if it is not fully turning on. But if it is fully turning on, then you may be able to use it and get sound out of it. The rs232 access could let you set and see some settings. You could also change some of these settings with the front panel controls (or the remote) but you can't see what you are doing there.

It is probably not something you would use day to day - just something to test with.

I have attached some of the rs232 docs that seem to be missing on the nad site. The nad site has other docs and test software that could be useful.

Attachments

• NAD_RS232_C390_docs.zip
    69 KB · Views: 92
Oh - one other thing to check. If someone else has been messing around inside the amp, check that they have plugged all the ribbon cables in. I remember when I was working on my amp and I forgot to plug in one of the ribbon cables and the amp only partially turned on. Similar to what you describe but probably not the same.

Sometime after the rebuild, I found that I had a minor issue with powering on the amplifier with the remote. It usually does not power on first time of the day on the first press of the remote "on" button. Usually it will power on on the second press and sometimes a third is needed. This issue does not occur if using the front panel power button. Also the issue does not occur with the remote if I use a completely different remote to operate something else nearby, then use the c390dd remote to power on the amplifier - works first go then. Also after the amplifier is fully powered on - the remote works well to operate the amplifier.

It is kind of like the IR sensor or some of its supporting electronics needs a bit of IR to wake it up before it starts working properly if it has not been used in a while.

I have looked for dry or bad solder joints and have not found any obvious ones. Perhaps I used an inappropriate capacitor somewhere which has caused the problem. Or perhaps it is unrelated to the capacitor change.

The 5V standby voltage measures fine.

Understanding the schematic in the service manual is beyond my current abilities so don't know what else to look at. It might just be something I will live with as it is quite a minor issue. Not expecting any suggestions on fixes here but you are welcome to suggest if you like. This is more just a report on my experience with changing capacitors.

I have the same issue - powering on with the remote. The amp power on after second or third press. All capacitors are original, no bad solder joints. I think voltage is ok, because stand by switch always work fine. Workourund is wake up with other remote.
Any help appreciated.

I ended up sending the unit in for repair. They replaced the board to the tune of $700. Now the Bluos module stopped working. Im not spending any more on this this thing. I’m leery of buying anything NAD in the future.

Oh well $700 for just he board is lot. I might just follow the OPs recomended cap replacement. First is to take all out and measure. Hopefully its out of tolerance. Ordered RS232 cable but looking at the procedures its bouncing off my head. lol

Alright folks, I replaced 210, 211, 204 and 205. 3 of them were out of specs and had bulge too. Now I am able to get display and after various relay clicks, it goes into Overheating protection. Before this message there is just a second that displays some television something. Thoughts on what to do next. Thanks