NAD C390DD (C 390DD) does not power on failure with fix

Thanks for the advice Johnips. I’ve just fitted a 10uf 25v capacitor in the suggested location, still no success. The 5V is present but measuring at the output plugs of the psu b board the 12.5V is definitely not starting up. I pulled the MDC cards in case the fault was there. No dice.

Photos for reference.
IMG_0092.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0093.jpeg
    IMG_0093.jpeg
    690.2 KB · Views: 76
Thanks for the advice Johnips. I’ve just fitted a 10uf 25v capacitor in the suggested location, still no success. The 5V is present but measuring at the output plugs of the psu b board the 12.5V is definitely not starting up. I pulled the MDC cards in case the fault was there. No dice.
Pulling the MDC cards is a bad idea, and I experienced it beeing a cause of not starting up once. I would opt for a larger cap than 10uF as this is right on the threshold, but should start any way. Have you changed the caps around and including the high voltage one?

I have read this topic with interest. I purchased my NAD c390dd in 2012 or so and after a couple of years it started showing this issue. When warranty expired in 2017 it completely stopped working and from then I sank a lot of money into repairs (main board, PSU 2x), and the same issue keeps resurfacing.

It starts with occasionally not starting up with a black screen, to gradually always not starting up properly. When it does start up it does sound great (although not as good as my new Arcam SA30). It is now in use as my second amp in my home office running a pair of B&W 601S3 loudspeakers, which is quite ridiculous comparing the cost difference.

After the 3rd repair (after finding pieces of exploded capacitator inside) it has ran quite flawlessly for another year or so, now giving the same shite.

It frustrates me that nothing seems to be wrong with the other components, except this, which is then being solved with new **** components.

I am not an electrotechnical guy that has experience soldering and replacing capacitators, but it frustrates me that this limitation may require me to trash this piece of junk, which would otherwise be cheap to fix. This is the 3rd time at the crossroad of thinking should I trade it in for whatever it is worth, or should I sink more money into this sinkhole.

Knowing what I paid for it initially makes me hesitant to just write it off, but sinking in 100's every year to extend the lifespan another year is not my preference either.

I have had the C390DD since mid 2014 and it has had the problem of occasionally not switching on from the beginning. Actually I thought this was a software issue, because doing a 'hard reset' using the switch on the back always solved the issue. It didn't happen very often so it was not a big issue, although a bit of a nuisance. In 2015 something went wrong in the power supply. When I switched the amp on, my circuit breaker in the house tripped and I had to send the amp for repair. The SMPS was replaced, but unfortunately it did not solve the issue of sometimes not switching on. Back then I also searched the web for more information, but did not find anything. Recently, switching on the amp became impossible. Also using the switch on the back did not help. I did a new google search which almost immediately led me here. Apparently this is a common problem with this amplifier. By the way, I also found the service doc, so if someone is interested I can upload it. Seems they drew the schematics in Altium, which is one of the better tools in my opinion.

I plan to look at this more into detail, but first I have a question, mainly to Wim Janse and Jabbejokker: Did replacing the capacitors by the types mentioned solve the issue for you?

Story of my life, I never bothered to take it in for repairs during warranty thinking it was a software issue and not wanting to be without amp for a month, to have it die on me after warranty expired.