Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

The New Hypex Fusion Plate amps
The New Hypex Fusion Plate amps
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th August 2019, 07:05 PM   #1491
YSDR is online now YSDR  Europe
diyAudio Member

An update to the analog vs digital input listening impressions.
After listening to more music and styles, I have to say that, overall, I have a more subjective preference for the analogue input.
With the digital input, as if more details were coming out, it might objectively 'look' better, but I noticed that this sound could quickly become tiring. It's like the music is connected to the person's nerve endings, maybe a more angular (clinical?) effect.
With the analogue input, maybe all the details are here but slightly more rounded way, not as in-your-face, at least in my system and to my ears.
Old 30th August 2019, 07:09 PM   #1492
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YSDR View Post
Recently, I read somewhere that multiple A/D-D/A conversions produce a much more 'analog' like signal than single D/A conversions, if properly implemented.

As in increasing distortion, coloration and noise? Yes, indeed, it does.
Old 30th August 2019, 07:17 PM   #1493
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julf View Post
As in increasing distortion, coloration and noise? Yes, indeed, it does.
Yeah, maybe it is.
Old 31st August 2019, 09:28 AM   #1494
Frederik93 is offline Frederik93
diyAudio Member

Hi YSDR,

Quote:
At the analogue input, slight veiling was observed compared to the digital input. On the other hand, the digital input has come with tiny, subtle details combined with richness that has made reproduction more meaningful. The bass sounds seemed to go deeper and had a better resolution with a better attack. The mid and treble tones were more open, detailed, richer and airier.
The analog input chain presentation was slightly flatter.
I can totally relate with your findings.

Quote:
After listening to more music and styles, I have to say that, overall, I have a more subjective preference for the analogue input.
With the digital input, as if more details were coming out, it might objectively 'look' better, but I noticed that this sound could quickly become tiring. It's like the music is connected to the person's nerve endings, maybe a more angular (clinical?) effect.
With the analogue input, maybe all the details are here but slightly more rounded way, not as in-your-face, at least in my system and to my ears.
I have not yet compared the analogue and digital inputs for myself. But what you write falls in line with what I have heard before from other loudspeakers with digital crossovers.

The sleight veiling was what stirred my interest to test the digital inputs.

I have some other active loudspeakers with analogue crossover to listen to and compare with my Fusion Amp driven loudspeakers.

The effortless reproductions of the smallest details without any kind of stress to the ear is what speakers using analogue crossover seem to have mastered and it is what I am missing in loudspeaker that use DSPs.

You can have a stress less reproduction but no details (using analogue inputs), or you can have the details but they stress your ears (using digital inputs). When can we have both in digital loudspeakers?

Best regards,
Frederik
Old 31st August 2019, 12:50 PM   #1495
diyAudio Member

Hi Frederik!

I have not heard an active analogue crossover loudspeaker system yet, so i can't talk about it. I would be interested in such a speaker for its measurement results versus a digital one, but mainly for the measured difference between their amplifiers and the crossovers.

The fully digital chain may be so revealing that it can sometimes be a bit much (too perfect??), especially if one's ear is not used to it, but somebody might like exactly that.
So a flawless setup for all purposes (and for all human conditions) still does not exist and I don't think this is news.

Last edited by YSDR; 31st August 2019 at 12:53 PM.
Old 1st September 2019, 07:20 AM   #1496
diyAudio Member

I started to like the digital input chain. More music became much more listenable. I mean, it wasn't bad before, but the better audibility of the details made it more pleasant.
Old 1st September 2019, 08:39 AM   #1497
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The fully digital chain may be so revealing that it can sometimes be a bit much (too perfect??), especially if one's ear is not used to it, but somebody might like exactly that.

If a digital chain is "too perfect", you can always use DSP to add suitable coloration.
Old 1st September 2019, 09:52 AM   #1498
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julf View Post
If a digital chain is "too perfect", you can always use DSP to add suitable coloration.
Yes, this is true, and with DSP it's not too hard to do so.

By the way, many people may be mistaken with DSP for overcompensating certain things with the ease of adjustment. For example, if you set a completely flat axial frequency response (as it is easy to do with DSP and someone said that flat is the best) without checking the off-axis responses or considering the room acoustics and you can easily conclude that DSP's voice is "harsh".
Old 1st September 2019, 10:50 AM   #1499
ds23man is offline ds23man  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

If you use dsp in active loudspeakersystems, you will have to identify all diffraction effects in the measured curves. Even the small ones. For example:

I am using a 6" SB Satori mid which has a small dip at 1.5K. Off axis it is gone. Correcting this dip on axis will result in a harsh, in your face sound because there is to much radiated energy at this point of axis.
Old 1st September 2019, 06:12 PM   #1500
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds23man View Post
If you use dsp in active loudspeakersystems, you will have to identify all diffraction effects in the measured curves. Even the small ones. For example:

I am using a 6" SB Satori mid which has a small dip at 1.5K. Off axis it is gone. Correcting this dip on axis will result in a harsh, in your face sound because there is to much radiated energy at this point of axis.
A very good example with the SB Satori.

Which input are you using ds23man?

The New Hypex Fusion Plate ampsHide this!Advertise here!