TPA3255 - all about DIY, Discussion, Design etc

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I'll bite. What is SINAD?

more specifically, it stands for "SIgnal to Noise And Distortion" which is a monumentally stupid acronym ;)

It's basically dynamic range, except also accounting for distortion and not only noise.

I just noticed in the spreadsheet that the SINAD value is actually just calculated from the THD+N value... so in this case it's just the dB equivalent of the THD+N ratio:

SINAD = -20*log(THD+N) where THN+N is in %.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I have tried to search this thread, but unwieldy doesn't even start to describe the size!

Is there any issue with getting this board and running it at the full 50v?

TPA3255 2.0 Digital Amplifier Board DC50V Strong High Power 300W + 300W Class D o Digital Amplifier Board|Amplifier| - AliExpress

H5c6c27a22faa492094074f0edcdde37cq.jpg

Or is this other popular budget board any better? I assume the 4 channels are from two TPA3255 operating in BTL not a single IC operating in SE, given its 300w x4?

ABKT 1Pcs Tpa3255 Four Channel High Power Digital Class D Amplifier Board|Amplifier| - AliExpress

H7e5e758df31243e583e9adf183f7d706N.jpg

Or, is it worth paying double (!) and going for this chap?

SOTAMIA TPA3255 Power Amplifier 2x260W Two Channel Hifi Class D Audio Amplifier Home Theater Amplificatore|Amplifier| - AliExpress

H3a52f463b58e482db7ab9f18f8365774R.jpg

Or are there any others which are worth considering from a value point of view (all running at 50v if possible)? I would be keen to avoid pop, as one channel will have a compression driver, the other a 4ohm bass unit.

Many thanks in advance,

Last edited:
The amplifier board introduced first is made by down-converting 12V used inside the board from the power supply voltage using LM2576. Furthermore, from that 12V, AMS1117-3.3 (LM1117) is used to create a voltage of 3.3V.

The problem is that the input voltage of the LM2576 is up to 40V. What happens if a 48V power supply voltage is applied to this?
LM2576HV with a withstand voltage of MAX 60V must be used for power supply voltages above 40V, but this is not the case.

Of the amplifier boards you have introduced, only the last 3e audio amplifier board can be used reliably with a power supply voltage of 48V. However, if this amplifier is used at 48V, it will generate a lot of heat, and a cooling fan may be required depending on the environment in which it is used.

I am using this amp board made by 3e audio, but the power supply voltage is set to 43V or less due to the problem of heat generation.
For amplifier boards made in China, it is necessary to thoroughly check the inside of the board in this way.

Joined 2018
Paid Member
The 3e board in the above images is available direct from the 3e store again for a lot less than the link provided above .
I have one and have ran it at 48v powered up 24/7 for over a year now. Its pretty warm but no issues. Isn't boxed though although it is under a shelf

Last edited:
Hi jimk04, toku,

Thanks for taking the time.

I did not realise that the LM2567 was being used so far out of spec! Not worth taking the risk. As one channel will be almost idling with a small 16ohm load, hopefully I can avoid any heat issues.

I will buy the one direct from the store - thanks for the link. It is a shame bloody br*xit has increased the price by £11, but I guess that's that!

Joined 2018
Paid Member
The 3e 3255 is very good for the money. A great starting point and introduction to building your own class d power amp.
I've just taken delivery of the JLE 3255 board. Yes it is twice the price of the 3e but it is a different ball game as far as the physical side of holding the thing in your hands. Better inductors, capacitors and op amps.
Whether I actually hear an improvement remains to be 'seen' but I would hope so!

Hi amigo,

I wanted to share my impressions about a good LLC SMPS PSU vs a brick PSU(FX Audio)

I tested it with my Aiyima A04 updated version (new inductors + OP Amps Muse 02)

SMPS LLC PSU :

PS : I am waiting for the final case and my good quality AC filter... not received yet.

- 35V (I measured it @ 34V exactly and stable)
- 8.5 A (stable as well)
- 300 W continuous / 600W peak
- efficiency 98%
- Ripple <100mV
- Aux 1 = 12V / 200ma
- Aux 2 = 12V / 200ma (independent, but I measured it @ 9V)

What about a long listening session?

For the average person, I would say that the difference is not necessarily detectable. But, when we focus on the details, I noticed that in the songs where the bass is more pronounced, the bass is better maintained and overall, as strange as it may be, on a continuous listening of 1h , I found it less tiring. Both PSUs are rather quiet and bring no background noises in my speakers (8 ohms / 93DB with ribbon tweeters 2.5 way)

Being a musician for years, I think a good ear could perceive the difference.
However, I don't think I'm wrong in saying that the FX Audio brick is very well made. Regarding the price, there is a difference of almost $50 between the two PSUs.

If you are on a budget, I would say that the FX Audio may suffice. But I am not able to confirm my comments with precise measurements, unfortunately I am not equipped ...

Last edited:
Hi amigos,

Just got the good quality RMI / EMI Audio grade Rifa filter and the new case.
Will check about real improvement VS classic FX Audio brick 35V / 6A with my updated Aiyima TPA3251

https://ibb.co/BtdDQPt
https://ibb.co/2kRBs3w
https://ibb.co/M7fCn3V
site des images

Hi Danny.

Who is the manufacturer of this power supply ??

Seems to be a dual rail (+-36 volts) whereas the Aiyima only requires a single rail supply - careful not to put 72 volts across the amp !!

Are you using screened cable for the supply to the amplifier ? I would have thought a heavier grade cable would be better to ensure plenty of current capability.

Also have you earthed the metal case ??

All the best. James.

Last edited:
Hi Danny.

Who is the manufacturer of this power supply ??

Seems to be a dual rail (+-36 volts) whereas the Aiyima only requires a single rail supply - careful not to put 72 volts across the amp !!

Are you using screened cable for the supply to the amplifier ? I would have thought a heavier grade cable would be better to ensure plenty of current capability.

Also have you earthed the metal case ??

All the best. James.

This is a TZT PSU, there are made in China. I need time to make sure it is quality PSU that it will last )
Don't worry lol : You can use dual rail PSU in single rail mode (you just need to make sure to connect the right way, in dual rail mode ground is splitted).

For cables : I am using pure twisted cooper cables @0.75 mm² they support 10A max. Never got any issue with it )

If you are looking some ready to use DC cables, checkout :

Recherche - Audiophonics

this is a no name china supply.
I had a same LLC power supply but other style and its works but no overcurrent on secondary output... so the supply burned :-/

Most of LLC PSUs are made in China, some are good other are bad....
In this PSU, you have two aux voltage, the first one (with JST connectors) is independent and the secondary one (blue connector) is shared with main voltage.

For the moment, it works fine... it will be necessary to see its duration in time .... fingers X

I bought 4 handcraft LLC PSU and 2 out 4 did not last or were faulty ... I give my chance to some Chinese products :)

Concerning the fact I am using a dual rail = because they sent me the bad version so I am aware I am not using the full potential of the PSU

Last edited:
@Daniboun
I saw this new kind of LLC supply. This is the smallest. It's also awalaible with more power.
But its a symmetrical supply. +-35V. Did you made changement on the rectifier diode for getting only +35V?

No need to make any change, I just use the Gnd and + rail = 35V for single rail (vs 70V dual rail). theoretically, 300/36 = about 8.5A
I do not know the calculation method and I am wondering if the amperage is not divided in this case ....

Hey Dani,
safety in power supplies is about earthing the metal chassis not locking it in!

And BTW: your carpet may become a legend here in the forums before any of your amps. You change them too quickly but the carpet remains.
Just kidding of course.
Enjoy your new TPA3255. The module looks really nice I have to say!