• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

LM3886 - Noisy signal unless inputs shorted

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The layout is standard, that is looking from the front the left and right pins are the ends of the track and for a volume pot, left would be signal ground, right would be input, the middle is the wiper and would go to the amplifier along with the ground. The distances are not standard.

PSU board and components are stock, as sold by Chipamp.com (CarlosFM snubberized).

Amp Boards are stock Chipamp.com LM3886, except for the following resistor changes to reduce gain:
Rf=20K
R2=20K
R3=1K

Everything else stock. No additional components (I'll add protection stuff when I have this sorted out).

Can you give some more information?
PSU, board, values at LM3886,.....

They are both good quality pots from respected manufacturers, I doubt you'd hear any noise from either, but you pays your money and you takes your choice ;)

Pots like those with pins are easier PCB mounted, some are available with tabs with a hole for wiring to directly but I've wired directly to PCB mounting pots, it's a bit fiddly though.

Just a warning for anyone thinking of buying PE stuff and getting it shipped to Canada.

Hmm...there appeared to be a bit of a catch. Parts Express wanted $USD 24.50 to ship two volume controls to Canada. What a ripoff. In the end, I ordered them anyways, and PE only charged $USD 16.50, but let's face it, they probably could've charged $8.00 or less if they'd only put it in an envelope.

Wait...I'm not clear...you wrote
"then ground it to amp ground with a piece of wire.."

What is it I'm grounding to amp ground with a piece of wire?
The POT?

Thanks

Don´t overthink it, you are not testing that amp the way you will actually use it.

Just connect a speaker at its output, a sound source (PC/MP3 player/Smartphone/CD player) to a volume pot, between 10k and 50k, Audio/Log taper preferred, and from it to the amp, using a coaxial cable.
Also coaxial cable and properly soldered connectors between sound source and potentiometer (a real one, with metallic case soldered to ground)
Also place the amplifier board inside a metallic case or at least on a piece of wood, to which you glue a piece of kitchen type aluminum paper, then ground it to amp ground with a piece of wire, and place an insulator (cardboard or a magazione will do) on aluminum so it does not short PCB bottom.
Play some music and *then* worry or not about Hum and external noise.

Last edited:
scottjoplin:

As I said earlier, I really don't wish to use coax. I tried two different kinds. Noise levels got worse when I used them. Plus, it's extremely difficult to get coax in there. The space is so tight it's ridiculous. I'll never again work on a project this small. It's great if you're 19 and have x-ray vision and the hands of a surgeon.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.