Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

An open source layout for LM3886?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th January 2020, 08:08 PM   #161
asuslover is offline asuslover  Romania
diyAudio Member

Take a look here:
http://www.circuitbasics.com/design-...lifier-lm3886/
Old 5th January 2020, 08:38 PM   #162
silasmellor is offline silasmellor  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Thanks asuslover, I actually stumbled on that just a minute before checking back here. It looks like the author prefers a zobel tuned lower (approx. 150 kHz) than the recommended (approx 590 kHz). The tuning on this particular implementation (approx 600 kHz) seems to be close to the datasheet recommendations, increasing to 100 nf roughly halves frequency (338 kHz), but still leaves me at twice the frequency they use in your link. I take that as safe, thanks again!
Old 10th January 2020, 08:13 PM   #163
silasmellor is offline silasmellor  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Just finished another example of this amp today. We've been in the market for a new amp/preamp (conveniently for me you say) because we just took over a small allotment summer house this year. Naturally, a summer house must have music, so i've been planning and plotting, and finally managed to put the lid on the last part of that puzzle. This open source LM3886 was perfect for the small house (30 sq m), and will drive Alpair 10.3s in small bookshelves (Scottmooses design). At the moment i am listening to it at home on pensils with 10ps. Very nice sounding amp i must say. I usually rely on a DIY F6, but I will have no trouble living with this for the next while as it burns in (or my ears do).

IT is driven by a Kuartlotron preamp, and i can warmly recommend the combination. There is plenty of gain in the LM3886 to make me not miss gain in the preamp. In fact, i haven't gotten past halfways on the volume control. With the F6, i quickly start missing the gain on my BA-3 preamp, but for the gain of the OS LM3886 it is spot on.

I put the amp in a mini dissipante from modushop, tight but very nice chassis, and the heatsinks haven't yet gotten warm from the listening i've done so far. Transformer is 160 VA 2x18V from RS that i got cheap off a guy. Bridge rectifiers into a homemade PSU board (basically just a place to solder the caps to) made so i could use some surplus 15.000 uF caps. I had originally planned to go dual mono, but that turned out to be impossible given the space.

Last photo shows the little mini chassis on top of the 4U deluxe which holds the F6. Next to it, the kuartlotron in one of the bigger galaxy chassis.

Anyways, just wanted to share and recommend this design to anyone on the fence - for not a lot you can make a very nice little amp. Hats off and thanks for sharing the design.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OSlm3886_1.jpg (160.1 KB, 205 views)
File Type: jpg OSlm3886_2.jpg (147.2 KB, 203 views)
File Type: jpg OSlm3886_3.jpg (114.0 KB, 206 views)
File Type: jpg OSlm3886_4.jpg (416.4 KB, 171 views)

Last edited by silasmellor; 10th January 2020 at 08:15 PM.

An open source layout for LM3886?Hide this!Advertise here!