Chassis for a group order of non-inverted GC kit?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just a thougt - I see there is a disscusion about one or two knobs on the front - why don't you do it this way:
- there are always two knobs but the options are:
- two mono attenuators;
- a stereo attenuator and a selector switch;
- stereo attenuator and a turn switch for pwr on/off

Peter Daniel said:
Actually, those amps should be permanently ON. But the second switch could be used for Mono/Stereo or Polarity;)

What I'm going to do with my amp, to avoid having 6 inputs, AND to get the best of both worlds, is have a switch that switches between a straight input from a source like a cd player and which is controlled by a pot (or an attenuator), and an input from a pre-amp (passive/active) which is not controlled by a pot. (the pot referring to a pot built into the gc, one input goes through the pot, the other doesn't).

Not sure if there are any problems with doing that.

I'm interested too. I'll use this to biamp my speakers, and I'll probably implement the gain adjustment in the crossover. So my preference is for a 'regular' amp - on-off switch, one set of inputs, no other controls. It wouldn't be the end of the world though if it had a knob or two on the front :)

Even this is a good deal at ~$35

20s02.gif

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member

We could use the aluminum plate that it comes with as a rear panel and Peter could produce a thick, cool front plate.

Peter,

since you offered to possibly get the stepped attenuators, could I suggest that they and the case be available separately?

That's still just two options, and gives the people that want to make their own work of art case the freedom to do so with the cool attenuators .

Hybrid fourdoor said:

While there's nothing wrong with this chassis, I had something better in mind (most panels 1/4", brushed and anodized), with the option of maple panels on the sides. If enough interest is generated, the price would go substantially down we could have a first class enclosure at very low price.

The case will be offered separately, with the size and layout allowing many different choices of attenuators and switches.

Peter,

I'm not going to tell you how to build cases, but...

keep it simple so you don't end up doing yourself in.

We should all be able to agree on one type of design, with maybe
one different layout choice.

The kit being offered kind of makes this an intergrated amplifier,
with volume control and source selection (maybe)

maybe the second choice could be just a plain amp with no
volume control or source selection. That way the front plate would
be plain, thus easier to implement than the primary choice.

just some thoughts... i'm sure you have a handle on it though. ;)

m.

I would be interested if the enclosure would be versatile enough to be used for other than just GC's. One for Preamp, one for active x-overs. If you took into consideration the size so that it could be used for other premade boards offered from Pass DIY like BSOZ,BOZ, Pearl you would get even more interest. If the price to quality was real good I might even use seperate enclosures for the power supply.

BDP

Speaking of chassis versatility, I might take out the gut of my BOSOZ pre-amp and transfer them into Peter's designed chassis! So, I'll order one for the Gain Clone and another one for my BOSOZ.

I have already ordered the 24-steps-8-layered-type single attenuator through jrsum from another thread - which should fit on the one volume control front plate if that is the finalized chassis design.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.