Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Modulus-86  build thread
Modulus-86  build thread
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th March 2020, 10:42 PM   #5131
Panelhead is offline Panelhead
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiggs View Post
It's the properly built part that concerns me and I want to catch any errors before I get it in a case where it is harder to correct any issues.
Since you hear hear noise on both channels it is unlikely it is construction error.
Old 24th March 2020, 11:09 PM   #5132
tomchr is offline tomchr  Canada
diyAudio Member

I've had builders with compression drivers (100+ dB/W*m efficient) use Modulus-86 with good results, so yeah... They should be quiet.

If you get 10 V out for 1 V in (20 Hz - 20 kHz), undistorted, and you have a low DC offset (typically around ▒100 ÁV if you clean off the flux; ▒5 mV if you don't), then the amp modules are working.

Tom
Old 26th March 2020, 03:39 PM   #5133
sercan85 is offline sercan85  Turkey
diyAudio Member

Hi dear friend;
Isole days work my mod86...
*İnnner speaker and signal cables are furutech alpha series OCC copper.
*WBT and Neutrik connectors
*Elecaudio OCC copper all power lines
*hammond transformers
*main filters soft start and speaker delay..
*modushop hifi2000 3U case
Thanks Tom...
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
[IMG]
Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
Old 26th March 2020, 05:53 PM   #5134
diyAudio Member

Very nice build. Thank you for sharing. The heat sinks are nice and large - and aligned with the vent holes in the bottom. I also appreciate that you covered the mains connections with heat shrink. Nice job on the inductors too!

The "transformers up front" layout is a little unusual (at least judging by the chip amp gallery thread), but I think it works out really well here. The mains/primary wiring is kept as far away from the audio circuits as possible, and there's good spacing between the secondary wiring and the rest of the amp. Excellent!

Which output terminals are those?

Tom
Old 26th March 2020, 07:08 PM   #5135
diyAudio Member

It is very proud to hear these comments from a master engineer like you. Thank you. I took care to do a good job. I'm a little sensitive about audio circuits My binding posts WBT-0703 Cu Binding Posts
Old 30th March 2020, 07:03 AM   #5136
spiggs is online now spiggs  United States
diyAudio Member

So I ended up re-purposing the case I made for my ACA to house the Mod 86, plenty of heat sink I think (0.5 C/W per side). Full commitment since that was my main amp so no music till I got it going. It was a little harder to bolt in than I first imagined but with a little fab work everything fit. I used the SMPS-86 as a power supply with the thought that if the ACA and it's 8 watts were doing ok the 28 watt Mod 86 would be fine.

With everything in the case and connected up the amp is nice and quite. I am using it with single-ended inputs fed by an AKSA Lender pre with 9db of gain. I built the Mod 86 with the THAT1206 for 14db of gain knowing I would use it in combination with a pre that had some gain also. Speakers are Fostex FF105WKs in a Planet 10 designed box supplemented by a sub.

Early on for real listening impressions but so far it is sounding excellent. I am not much for audiophile language and it would seem wrong to go there with such a simple system but 2 things did stand out (besides running MUCH cooler). The center image is more defined when it should be. Really seems to lock into a single point when the mix calls for that. Second music has a sharper edge, not in a bad way, just cleaner at the beginning and end of notes. However I think the best thing I could say is that as much as I would try to focus on hearing changes from the previous amp I would mostly just end up lost in the music, which is ultimately the goal.

Next on the table is the HP-2. I am going to build it as a Pre/HPA to feed the Mod 86 as well as my Meze Classics. That will be my reference for a precision setup to compare as I have fun in this DIY scene.

Thanks Tom for making this amp available for DIY along with your fantastic documentation and support. Great fun!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200328_234728.jpg (865.9 KB, 162 views)
Old 30th March 2020, 06:15 PM   #5137
diyAudio Member

That's a nice and compact build there. At first I thought it was a standard ModuShop chassis, but it looks like you used two ModuShop heat sinks and added your own front and rear pieces.

It looks like you AC coupled the input. I would suggest adding a little heat shrink so the input connection doesn't short to the mezzanine plate.

I like the setup with the mezzanine plate. I did something similar for my Modulus-286 Kit (LE). I really like the compact look. Nicely done.

Tom
Old 30th March 2020, 07:59 PM   #5138
spiggs is online now spiggs  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomchr View Post
That's a nice and compact build there. At first I thought it was a standard ModuShop chassis, but it looks like you used two ModuShop heat sinks and added your own front and rear pieces.

It looks like you AC coupled the input. I would suggest adding a little heat shrink so the input connection doesn't short to the mezzanine plate.

I like the setup with the mezzanine plate. I did something similar for my Modulus-286 Kit (LE). I really like the compact look. Nicely done.

Tom
Yep just started with the Modushop heat sinks and built the rest around it. I wanted something different from a standard box that would integrate with the rest of the living room decor. The caps (.02 uF total) on the input are to provide some low freq roll off to give my speakers a little relief below 130Hz. Thank you, good advice on the heat shrink, I'll put some on for insurance.
Old Yesterday, 04:19 AM   #5139
zman01 is online now zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Modulus-86  build thread
sercan85,

Well organised and compact build, congratulations!

spiggs,

Nice job re-purposing the ACA chassis for your Mod-86.
Old Yesterday, 11:02 AM   #5140
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman01 View Post
sercan85,

Well organised and compact build, congratulations!

spiggs,

Nice job re-purposing the ACA chassis for your Mod-86.

Thanks you

Modulus-86  build threadHide this!Advertise here!