Powerbass asa 700.5

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

the above mentioned amplifier came with a complaint that it is getting hot and is not playing loud.

I opened the amplifier checked the fets and everything is alright. when i checked the gate frequency was 300khz which was too much at idle. i changed the TL494 and the frequency came back to 31khz and the fets were still getting hot. i checked two pnp driver transistors and were good. i removed main rectifiers and was still getting very hot. i took gate resistors which were 100ohm and replaced them with 47ohms and without rectifiers amp came on and no idle current. as soon as i replaced rectifiers amp pulling too much current. all the outputs are in good condition. power fets used are irfz44n.

That doesn't really indicate that there is a problem.

What does the drive signal look like on the two FETs you have installed?

Why only 2? Install all of th ones for that supply, unless you think the amp will be unrepairable. Even it if is, you can pull the FETs.
Replaced all fets. Attaching the gate waveform of One fet that getting hot.

Attachments

• 20190606_175827.jpg
    20190606_175827.jpg
    967.6 KB · Views: 63
Between the quality of the image (focus is on the wicker basket, not the scope) and the extra lines on the scope, I can't tell much. It looks like the signal is not falling quick enough. This is typically due to a bad PNP driver or pulldown resistor.

I will change the pnp transistors and also will attach good picture. It has A1023 transistor, may I know any good alternative that I can use?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.