Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

A tangential tracking pivoting tonearm
A tangential tracking pivoting tonearm
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old Today, 02:06 AM   #141
Hiten is offline Hiten  India
diyAudio Member

Birch Two pivot arm :
If we see it as very long headshell with bend (varying Offset) near pivot it seems it will skate.
addition : But with string test, since we dont know the force at which we pull the string is same as real world and friction at moving pivot it will be little difficult to judge. skating force may be very little I guess.

Last edited by Hiten; Today at 02:14 AM.
Old Today, 01:41 PM   #142
super10018 is offline super10018  United States
diyAudio Member

I changed my plan and am going to build a clone of Reed 5A because if I build a Birch two-pivot arm, it must be a non-working arm. A pure Birch two-pivot arm lacks a mechanism to ensure correct geometry. A non-working arm may act slightly different from a working version although a non-working version is much simpler to build. However, as far as skating, I believe there is no difference between a non-working Birch two-pivot arm and a working clone of Reed 5A. A non-working arm may leave room for speculations. In order to eliminate all the speculations, I will build a working version as much as I can.

Again, I expect the clone of Reed 5A doesn't skate.

Last edited by super10018; Today at 01:45 PM.
Old Today, 02:51 PM   #143
directdriver is offline directdriver  United States
diyAudio Member

Default loooong headshell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiten View Post
Birch Two pivot arm: If we see it as very long headshell with bend (varying Offset) near pivot it seems it will skate.
That's very perceptive of you to use such analogy, that is, a dual pivot arm can be seen as an arm with a very long headshell with a pivot. Using the Reed 5A drawing below taken from their video as example, since the main pivot (1P2), the one holding majority of the mass, and the "bend" (1B1, 1B2, 1B3) are both closer to the virtual Thales locus point (P3) and it will skate less than a conventional single pivot arm where the bend is at the headshell and much farther away from the locus (P3). Needless to say, the theoretical ideal skate-free tonearm is to have the main pivot and the bend (or no bend at all) located at the same locus point (P3). The reason we need linkage articulation is that we do not have an armwand that can change its length between two points.

Click the image to open in full size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by super10018 View Post
I changed my plan and am going to build a clone of Reed 5A
Very good idea so we can all reference back to the Reed 5A drawing above for future discussion. You can even create a separate forum thread for it. (My apology to Bon again for hawking the space.)

The Reed 5A webpage does mention skating briefly: "Comparing to regular pivot tonearms, Reed 5A does not require antiskating and has much less absolute tracking error."

"Does not require" is not the same as no skating force at all. Nevertheless, your clone will verify their claim.
  Reply to this post

A tangential tracking pivoting tonearmHide this!Advertise here!