Turntable Lid

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi
I have a Technics Turntable and one of the tongue on the lid has broke, does anyone know what is the best way stick/glue/weld it back on, that is if it can be ! .

Cheers
Spike

Attachments

• IMG-1093.jpg
    IMG-1093.jpg
    514.5 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG-1097.jpg
    IMG-1097.jpg
    907.9 KB · Views: 210
You need a solvent based adhesive which actually melts the perspex and welds the broken parts together.

Such an adhesive has a liquid consistency. An example is shown in the attachment.

Having said that, the break is in in an area subject to stress and there's no guarantee that the weld would be srong enough.

Attachments

• Plastic Weld Glue.jpg
    Plastic Weld Glue.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 204
Many years ago on a Pioneer turntable in the workshop came a similar problem. There were no spares left a Pioneer so I used a very similar product, glued it back together holding in a clamp until set and then drilled three holes, left, centre and right 3/32" diameter 1" long going through the join and into the lid body.
I then inserted three 3/32" silver steel pins 7/8" long by heating them first just above boiling point easing them in place.
Three months later it was back. My repair was perfect and the other side got the same treatment.
That was in 1991. I still see my customer as a friend and it is still working to date.

Many years ago on a Pioneer turntable in the workshop came a similar problem. There were no spares left a Pioneer so I used a very similar product, glued it back together holding in a clamp until set and then drilled three holes, left, centre and right 3/32" diameter 1" long going through the join and into the lid body.
I then inserted three 3/32" silver steel pins 7/8" long by heating them first just above boiling point easing them in place.
Three months later it was back. My repair was perfect and the other side got the same treatment.
That was in 1991. I still see my customer as a friend and it is still working to date.
Hi
Thanks for that info, very good idea, will look to see if there is enough meat on the hinge and also if I can drill straight, there won't be much leeway there though .
But yes very good way, will def try that ! .

PS: Will post back if I am successful .
cheers
Spike

Joined 2019
Paid Member
I'd go with the pin approach, it's worked well for me on a few occasions. Alternative is to glue and then brace the join with something. I've used thin brass or plastic sheet glued with either cyanoacrylate or epoxy, whichever seems more appropriate. But that could be difficult because it looks like there's not a lot of room to play with.

The only problem with using pins is making the holes line up :) I've made drilling jigs to get the best possible alignment.

I'm with wiseoldtech on this one.

Here's what I did when my Technics TT lid develop the same issue:
shaved off he remaining plastic bits, used leftover pieces of aluminium to shape it exactly like the original bits and secured them through the lid with SS bolts with captive nuts.

The photos are a bit blurry but you'll get the idea.

Attachments

• WP_20200926_08_18_01_Pro_LI.jpg
    WP_20200926_08_18_01_Pro_LI.jpg
    475.1 KB · Views: 69
  • WP_20200926_08_18_11_Pro_LI.jpg
    WP_20200926_08_18_11_Pro_LI.jpg
    393.1 KB · Views: 72
  • WP_20200926_08_18_31_Pro_LI.jpg
    WP_20200926_08_18_31_Pro_LI.jpg
    567.7 KB · Views: 61
Account Closed
Joined 2018
I'm with wiseoldtech on this one.

Here's what I did when my Technics TT lid develop the same issue:
shaved off he remaining plastic bits, used leftover pieces of aluminium to shape it exactly like the original bits and secured them through the lid with SS bolts with captive nuts.

The photos are a bit blurry but you'll get the idea.

SEE?
They look fine!
I've even went fully across the rear of the lid with aluminum channel, with tabs like you have.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
Didn't mean you'd be stuffed, just that once you'd sawn them off you'd passed the point of no return, committed, like the bacon in a sandwich.

If you're set on sawing you could keep the transparent look. There are plenty of transparent acrylic/perspex piano hinges available. You can glue them or use perspex/acrylic nut and bolts. Fleabay and Amazon have a good selection of both.

Choice paralysis awaits...

FWIW the TT2 lid weighs 820gm and has 4mm thick perspex that sits snugly in the Linn hinge.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.