RIAA circuit help needed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I built this simple RIAA NatSemi app. note circuit but need more gain. I suppose that 390R resistor must be replaced with lower value but I do not know exact value for 40dB (100 times) gain.

Attachments

• RIAA LM833 non inverting.JPG
    RIAA LM833 non inverting.JPG
    10.9 KB · Views: 677
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Philips actually have a worked example in their AN142 '5532/5534' applications data sheet that sees the feedback return reduced to 49.9 ohms. This looks to be designed for absolute minimum low noise.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 578
The 5532 can drive much lower impedances than a LM35x jfet opamp could.
How well this is worked out is questionable, 50 Ohms is pushing it for the 5532 and with 47uF the bass will be sagging below 100Hz. There will be high levels of 1/f noise due to that capacitor impedance rising at low frequencies.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
The current in the feedback return resistor is going to be very small.

At 100Hz and maximum output swing (clipping) it will be in the 100uA region and even at 20kHz and full output will only be around 5 or 6 ma for the 190 ohm version we mentioned earlier.

The circuit is from LM833 bipolar opamp app. note. Anyway, I've seen often that Japanese companies use very low values in the feedback circuit. One example is my Yamaha AX592 amplifier that uses 510R feedback and 220R gain setting resistor. OPamp in Yamaha is NJM2068 but I use NJM2114 which is champion among high performance opamps having 60mA output current! Only NJM4556A has more output current but it is special opamp for headphones. 190R gain setting resistor will work in the circuit from post 1 with NJM2114, but what will be the penalty in distortion I don't know.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I doubt distortion would figure much in the scheme of things for the simple reason that levels are way below clipping for normal operation. That means the opamp is not working hard driving the feedback loop.

The LM833 is a actually very good opamp but there are two versions surprisingly.

The current Texas Instruments LM833 uses an NPN quasi complementary output stage to overcome the problems of fabricating high speed 'high power' PNP devices onto the chip and offers better performance the original versions that used a classic NPN/PNP stage.

Texas also offer an LM833-N which does still use the PNP output stage. Also have a look at post #78

About op-amps use.

The differences between makes , like these output stage differences, can make the circuit work with one and not the other. It's odd that the pnp was dropped as making a decent pnp is much easier these days with ion implantation. I remember back 40 years ago when only Harris had a vertical pnp transistor.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.