My version of an Ultrasonic Record Cleaner

Thank you.

I was just wondering.

It appears to me like you can make these with the only Chinese part being the controller/power supply. Which makes me wonder why some of the really smart people here (I am not in that group) have not made one up.

I have been able to find tanks, transducers etc. I know I would still need a housing and the parts to turn the LP’s but even if you by one of the gentleman’s you would still need those parts.

Those tanks are big and you will need at least six transducers due to the volume. At $80 each it will get expensive quick. You can use standard hotel pans. Like the ones you see in buffets. The typical one used in a lot of cleaners is the 6” w X 12” l X 6” d. You can get these at any commercial restaurant supply store for under 25 bucks.

Grufti,

Where are you seeing that info?
I did find this site when searching for US made transducer’s but have not had time to go through it all. It is a site that links pre say to manufacturers of ultra sonic devices.

Zg925,

I thought I had properly used the dimensions from the one listed over at the site you showed me but obviously messed it up. Thanks for pointing it out.

BB,

Here is one place out of Pennsylvania. I thought I had another one so let see if I can find it also.

STC-4SS-3868

Exojam, Those transducers are all made in China - Sunnytec. Attached is the spec sheet for one of the transducers on the mmech site specifying where Sunnytec is located. I don't believe anyone in the States is manufacturing these type of transducers.
Regards,
B B

Attachments

• STC-4SS-3528-A.pdf
    121.8 KB · Views: 69
Thank you all for the help and information.

Is it safe to assume (even though I hate to) that the transducers that are used in the Vibrato tanks are also made there or is he grabbing some of the cleaners you folks pointed me towards and working them to specs for what they are to be used for (rcm's)?

Thanks again, James

Exojam, Vibrato transducers are sourced from China. Most all are, even those in the better name-brand machines. But control layout, electronics quality, features, and most importantly, quality control make a big difference in the functioning and reliability of the finished product.
Elma is Swiss, and I like Swiss engineering. If I was starting anew now, I would buy an Elma 6 or 10 quart machine.
I spent a lot of time considering building my own, transducer/controller/tank/heater, drain/housing setup, but decided it wouldn't be worthwhile. Cost to do it well on my own wouldn't yield much savings vs. the commercial units available at the time, and I came to the conclusion that the first one I built, (and likely the second one) wouldn't work near as well as a high-quality commercial unit.
B B

Exojam, Vibrato transducers are sourced from China. Most all are, even those in the better name-brand machines. But control layout, electronics quality, features, and most importantly, quality control make a big difference in the functioning and reliability of the finished product.
Elma is Swiss, and I like Swiss engineering. If I was starting anew now, I would buy an Elma 6 or 10 quart machine.
I spent a lot of time considering building my own, transducer/controller/tank/heater, drain/housing setup, but decided it wouldn't be worthwhile. Cost to do it well on my own wouldn't yield much savings vs. the commercial units available at the time, and I came to the conclusion that the first one I built, (and likely the second one) wouldn't work near as well as a high-quality commercial unit.
B B

Yes, I do purchase my transducers from China, as I have not been able to find America-made transducers. China has undercut the entire American ultrasonic industry.
For those who wish to build their own ultrasonic cleaners, you can find transducers at a reasonable price from Clangsonic or Beijing Ultrasonics.

It's not as easy as you may think.:cool:

However, all the electronics; circuit boards, electronic design, circuit board assembly, etc, are built by me here in the USA and are proprietary.

The tanks are industry-standard , stainless steel "steam table pans".

The aluminum enclosures are designed by me and manufactured here in the USA.

As you can imagine, the pandemic has delayed some of the production. I am current out-of-stock of the 60Khz Transducers and have a small supply of 80khz Transducers and 135Khz Transducers left.

I appreciate everyone who recommends the Vibrato Ultrasonic Cleaners! I try to build a high-quality product with great customer service.
Please bear with me as production continues slowly.

-Louis

I recently built a US RC using a Chinese 40kHz 6L unit as it was all I could get. Yesterday I cleaned 50 LP's that had already been cleaned using my vacuum RCM, and the crud that came out was not insignificant. I had to filter the water 4 times and mop the dirt from the bottom of the pan.

Moral of the story don't get too hung up on 40kHz or 60kHz US bath just get what you can afford and is available. The difference especially in the LP's I bought used is significant, some are almost totally silent.