The "Muscovite" 6S3P Tube Phonostage

Just a brief update update here. I got in touch with Dave at Landfall and Raymond Koonce at TimeBandit, very nice guys and helpful -- thanks for the contact GTHICM. Having the enclosures made will be a big help on this one. Parts still trickling in but hope to get started once enclosures are made.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Are you using the same Landfall chassis that GTHICM used in his Muscovite? Or something different?

I generally like to see them fully enclosed so they are not subjected to external EMI, if using the box mentioned the shielding was found to be adequate, otherwise you should enclose or shield them. (Enclosure preferred as the shields add significant capacitance in the plate circuit)

The Landfall chassis similar to GTHICM's. I think he might have used PCBs (GTHICM - please correct me if I'm wrong) whereas I'll go P2P. The PS should look close to what he posted. To fully enclose I'll use a plate inside the chassis for tubes similar to your pics in Post #1. And thanks for info on tube shields - that probably would have been my next question.

The guys at Landfall and Time Bandit have been really responsive and easy to work with.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
If they are shielded except at the back end of the pre-amp that has been found to be acceptable.

Most of his phono stage is P2P and some of the wiring over long, try to minimize distances where possible between related components and their tubes. Think about layout carefully. All grid stopper resistors must be at the respective socket.

That helps -- the enclosures Landfall suggests seem big. Once the capacitors arrive I'll lay everything out and finalize the design. I have a nice collection of NOS turret boards, etc that I hope to put to use. I'll post some sketches as I go. Thanks again Kevin.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Next build is slated for 2018/2019 time frame, as Carlp noted there are other distractions such as electronic cross-overs, power amplifiers, and the strain gauge pre-amp.

It's on the back burner for the time being.

The migration from KiCad to OrCAD is going to slow things down considerably as well. The schematic capture tools are very familiar, Allegro isn't unfortunately, and at this point I have no library of footprints for large capacitors, tube sockets or connectors.

The final problem is test equipment, the RTX-6001 looks like the right solution for my measurement needs but is delayed due to component discons and a need to redesign some mechanical parts.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Kevin, may I ask why you are migrating from KiCad to Orcad? Granted, Kicad has its quirks, but as I remember Orcad, it was no picnic either.

Mogens

It's what I use at work, and I use it a lot, and there was a promotional deal that put it within reach for personal use. I am running the very latest version of 17.2. The way that OrCAD handles schematic symbols and the symbol editor are much better. The schematic editor is a bit more refined. There are a lot of things OrCAD does better and it is more stable, faster and somewhat easier to use in general; all that said KiCad is great and I highly recommend it still. I will not convert existing designs to OrCAD so its future is assured here at home. I use it at work too. OrCAD and Allegro are what I have, I don't have any of the fancy bells and whistles either, but I do have ultralibrarian which so far I have not found that useful. LOL

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
My build is also delayed. All the parts are here and it's just a matter of figuring out the physical layout. But I have a house to get on the market first so I'm looking at November before I get serious.

I am looking forward to hearing more as your build proceeds, please feel free to PM me to arrange things if you want a second set of eyes to review your layout before you build it.

I did buy a tube prototype board on eBay to use as a template for a point-to-point build so hope to post some ideas in another month or so. I also plan to test the power transformers with Mark Johnson's Quasimodo (Simple, no-math transformer snubber using Quasimodo test-jig). Will post results.

One question though - is there a benefit to putting the voltage regulator parts of the supply (pass element and control tube) in the amplifier chassis and just bringing over filtered but not regulated DC from the PS chassis?

Thanks all for the offers of help - I'll certainly be happy for any advice down the road.

Phil