Valve Itch phono

Thanks Salas. Digging back from some family crisis. Needed a focus. Itch to 6V6 just felt like a pair. Was first thinking of DC coupling but it was a mess.

The 6SN7 and 6N2PEV is both close to ECC83 equivalents. Can you lay out some resoning on how you found your choice? I am very inrerested in that. And also if you have adjusted the riaa curves with their eventual unlinearitys together with them.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
6SL7 is closer to ECC83 than 6SN7 still not quite there for μ. More like a 12AT7 on steroids. Curves are better in the octals.
Both those American octals are excellent while the 6SN7 in particular is a linearity champ.

Why the 6N2PEV and 6SN7 you ask. Well, I found that Russian noval particularly good for microphonics and low grid current while still strong in μ for an input stage in the Itch.
The 6SN7 complimented it quite well in the sonic tests. 6CG7 is the noval 6SN7 if you need it smaller.
This phono was tuned next to a simplistic for RIAA curve and subjective impression. Although it had its simulation and theoretical approach first, plus measurements, it got finished by ear.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I guess you will have to spin Bowie as soon as you will have your phono rig up and running then...

"I heard telephones, opera house, favourite melodies
I saw boys, toys electric irons and T.V.'s
My brain hurt like a warehouse
It had no room to spare
I had to cram so many things
To store everything in there
And all the fat-skinny people, and all the tall-short people
And all the nobody people, and all the somebody people
I never thought I'd need so many people"

David Bowie Five Years

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hmm 12AX7 class tubes are weak to drive 600 Ohm even from the μ follower's upper cathode take off point as used here I would think.
You could try if you are curious enough as you already have them in hand though.
Did you substitute the MKS 4 caps you were talking about back when you made it?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Teflon for the interstage capacitor? Did you get any chance to verify the values with an accurate meter for the RIAA?

P.S. The output impedance for 6N2P-EV on the upper part of the mu follower should be almost 1/gm. I.e. around 500 Ohm or more since its biased at 1mA and the gm is quoted at higher bias.