Phonoclone 3

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
For all builders on boards that Rhys sent in the last group:
check and double check for the polarity of C10, C11, C12 and C13, beacuse the silkscreen on my boards shows the WRONG POLARITY for those caps.
(Personnaly I don't like those silk screens: just a name and revision number in the ground copper layer are just fine for me)

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
So much time has passed I'd forgotten about this: Rhys' boards are the old 31n revision that had four capacitors reversed on the silk screen. Board 32a and later are correct, including the current revision 32e boards.

I made an image somewhere that showed which caps had to be reversed, I posted it some while back, I'll see if I can find it.

/R

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yeah, though that wasn't a mistake: those early boards showed TIP40/41 packages for the two pass transistors, the pinouts of which are opposite of the BD135,136 series we eventually settled on on the BOM.

The image attached to this post should explain things, if not read through the two pages of posts prior to that one to get the background.

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
No no, I didn't read as such. I was just at pains to point out that I only made one serious error, not two... lest anyone think I was completely incompetent. :)

I have sent a an errata sheet to Rhys and hopefully he will make sure it gets into the hands of those people who have purchased rev 31n boards from him. A copy is attached below.

The 32e boards I've been sending people (all non-beta phonoclone 3 boards ordered through me) do not have these errors.

By the way: here are the new URLs to RJM Audio, for your reference.

RJM Audio Website Limited Sitemap

Main Page
phonoclone.com

DIY Projects list
phonoclone.com/diy.html

Phonoclone phono stage
phonoclone.com/diy_pho4.html

VSPS phono stage
phonoclone.com/diy_pho5.html

Printed Circuit Boards for VSPS and Phonoclone
phonoclone.com/diy_pcb.html

Contruction Guide for VSPS and Phonoclone
phonoclone.com/diy_guide.html

Xreg
phonoclone.com/diy_xreg.html

6DJ8 phono stage
phonoclone.com/diy_pho3.html

The Gainclone
phonoclone.com/diy_gc.html

Twilight hybrid headphone amplifier
phonoclone.com/diy_twi.html

Szekeres VE headphone amplifier
phonoclone.com/diy_sze.html

Szekeres-JFET input headphone amplifier
phonoclone.com/diy_head.html

Attachments

• phonoclone 3 errata.zip
    79 KB · Views: 92

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Some works about the phonoclone kits from Rhys.

I'm getting far to many emails from people who haven't received kits that Rhys said he'd posted.

He does not reply to my emails, and others I've contacted have also not been able to contact him.

If you have bought kits I suggest opening a Paypal dispute right away. If you get the kit, fine, you can close it, if not, then you should be able to your money back.

I also recommend that people do not purchase kits from him in the future.

Richard

samoloko said:
thx for reply

so x reg Is best to power audio stage OP Amps 9 - 15 V

what can you recommend for power DAC section 3.3 V and 5 V

ALWSR, TeddyReg, Jung, else

I like to know your choice

I think you misunderstood Richard. He said that will some changes, the x reg would work great at 5V. However, it will not work with the same transformer. Maybe he will post his spreadsheet again, or you could look it up on his website.

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
With 12 VAC secondaries, 18 V for V_in, setting R2,R3 to 56k will get an output voltage of 5 V.

It is also possible to use 9 VAC secondaries (13.5 V for V_in) and R2,R3 of 43k.

I haven't looked at digital recently, so I can't answer about which reg. circuit would be better for such&such an application. Note that careful layout and bypassing are probably as important, if not more important, than the regulation circuit itself...

Attachments

• xreg worksheet 2.2.zip
    5 KB · Views: 67

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
A quick update on the phonoclone kit situation from Rhys:

10 people were involved in the original group buy wiki back in February.

Of those 10, 9 were not Rhys...

3 people ordered only boards.
..... 1 confirmed delivered May 8th
..... 2 unconfirmed.

5 people ordered full kits.
..... 0 confirmed delivered
..... 4 confirmed undelivered at some point this month
.......... 1 shipped May 8th
.......... 1 shipped May 23rd
.......... 2 unknown

..... 1 unconfirmed

1 person ordered board + parts. That person was me...
..... 1 confirmed undelivered, not shipped (I was never told how much to pay for the additional parts, despite repeated email requests)

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Current "score" is 1-4 with 3 unconfirmed.

Confirm received:
||earsandeyes<->JBdV||2||The Netherlands|| (kit, received May 8th)

Confirm did not receive:
||rjm||2||Japan|| (paid for boards, never told how much to pay for additional parts)
||lancer||4||Singapore|| (kit, paid, shipped May 8th)
||kffern||2||Australia|| (kit, paid, shipped May 23rd)
||northernsky||2||Italy|| (kit, paid, shipping status unknown)

Unconfirmed:
||enzedone||2||New Zealand|| (kit, paid, had not received in early May)
||noelectrix||2||Germany|| (kit, paid, had not received in early May)
||prooptiki||2||Greece|| (boards only, paid, no further info)

rjm said:
With 12 VAC secondaries, 18 V for V_in, setting R2,R3 to 56k will get an output voltage of 5 V.

It is also possible to use 9 VAC secondaries (13.5 V for V_in) and R2,R3 of 43k.

I haven't looked at digital recently, so I can't answer about which reg. circuit would be better for such&such an application. Note that careful layout and bypassing are probably as important, if not more important, than the regulation circuit itself...

thx for reply

what are you using for 5V dig power of DAC on your site

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Confirm received:
||earsandeyes||2||The Netherlands|| (boards only)
||JBdV||?||?|| (kit, received May 8th - note he was not on the original wiki, I was confused on this point...)

Confirm did not receive:
||rjm||2||Japan|| (paid for boards, never told how much to pay for additional parts)
||lancer||4||Singapore|| (kit, paid, shipped May 8th)
||kffern||2||Australia|| (kit, paid, shipped May 23rd)
||northernsky||2||Italy|| (kit, paid, shipping status unknown)

Unconfirmed:
||enzedone||2||New Zealand|| (kit, paid, had not received in early May)
||noelectrix||2||Germany|| (kit, paid, had not received in early May)
||prooptiki||2||Greece|| (boards only, paid, no further info)

@brianco: Things have unravelled at the
PBA300 group buy, language being used there that you don't normally read on diyaudio.... the matter is more serious than a two week vacation, unfortunately.

Best case: Rhys posted most of the kits in mid May. Worst case: Things are still in a complete mess and Rhys hasn't been honest with us about what he shipped, and when.

I'm still gathering data. If a couple more people get in touch with me though we'll soon be in a position to know which it is.

@sam: the DAC clone used 7805 and 7809 regs.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.