The Analogue Addicts Phono Preamplifier 2006 Edition

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Kuei Yang Wang

Hallo Kuei Yang Wang,
since I built your CAT-5 speakercable, I am praying to God that he will give you a long DIY live.

Now I was able to purchase 2 pairs of OPA 637's, and I will start with this project.
My line amp will be the valkyrie amp from AA, I think this is a project of Gary Gallo.

Any advice for the seize of the joke of the psu?

With kindest regards

Sam

God loves Biergarten too!

Caps for Analoug addicts phono amp

Dear ALL, and THORNSTEN:),

Help!, haveing looked through maplins, CPC, Farnell catalouges
i cannot find the wilma and polystrine caps and a source of Dale/vishnay resistors with out haveing to buy at least 5 at a time from the above vendors (except maplin but they dont have the "bits" anyway .(but HIFI collective have the M caps)

So my question is: where there in England can i get the descrite quality resistors and cap (and not have to buy 5 at a time) to build the amp as Thornsten designed? with the bits he used?

(though i could get the Tant ones from Hifi collective but there 3 pounds a pop!)

P.S where the spell checker?

thanks all
Johnny555

Would there be any advantage if instead of the jfet specified I use a 389 with the two halves in parallel?

I'm about to finish the wiring scheme for this pre, and as I have both the SK170BL and 389 (no 147...) , I wonder which one can be better in this configuration.

2 questions for Kuei Y W

Very interesting thread indeed.

I have 2 questions for Kuei:

Schottky diodes: there's probably a typo. The 21DQ60 does not exist, but IR has the 21DQ06, 2 amp, 60 V, in catalogue.

Power supply: I like the idea to split the MC stage P.S. into 2 rails for left and right channels at the last P filter.
Why not do the same for the I.C. +/- rails? It only costs 4 more resistors and caps: not that much.
In this case it suffices to double the value of the resistors, or.....

Many thanks
massimo

carawu said:
A little drawing for the less experienced solder artists to give you an idea of how to build this little gem.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Enjoy,

Carsten

Hi Carsten,
can you repost your picture? I'm collecting parts and want to build this, thanks!

Would appreciate anyone who has completed this project to post their picture of it, thanks a million! :)

I just finished this last weekend. I used a spare 25V toroidial transformer and it works fine without the 1k 2W resistor on the power supply, with it I get no voltage on the nagative rail. I built mine with only MM. I am getting some soft ringing sound on the right channel, but I think it's because I haven't housed it in any chassis yet! :D With a grounded chassis it should be OK right?

Other than that, it sounds really good to me!! :)

There is a drawing for Veroboard some posts before this. I think KYW doesn't recommend using PCB.

Anyway, I put a pair of Mundorf silver/oil 0.22uf, was using a Vishay before, the highs and soundstage is better, but seems to have lost a little bass and punch, anyone any idea how long do the Mundorfs take to break in?

Hi!

Concerning the single ended class A operation of the opa637 I've got a question in connection with

(5) For most Op-Amp's the resistor or CCS needs to connected to the negative rail, in case of the OPA637 it is the positive rail however as the simple emitter follower part of the output stage uses a PNP Darlington pair).

I'm working on a different project currently and there I want to do the same with an opa2134 (dual version of opa134), however I cannot find information wether it also has a pnp darlington pair in the output stage and therefore also needs to be connected to the + rail.

So is this a special feature of the opa637 only or Burr-Brown specific?

Thanks a lot! With kind regards, Hannes

I want to thank KYW for a great design, and most importantly to share it with the DIY community.

Last weekend some of us did a comparison with some other phono stages, 2 SS ones being a modded NAD and Plinius, and 2 tube ones, TS Audio and Diva. IMHO, the only one that came close to the AA design's performance is the Plinius. But I found it's gain too high, and it seems to have a bass boost which wasn't very natural to me. Out of the stages, only the NAD costs close to AA, the others being at least a few times more. So KYW's design offers seriously very competitive performance!

Just IMHO. :D

Dear KYW,
Is it alright to substitute a pair of OPA637 with a LM4562?
Cheers,
honinbou

I, too, would like to know if the 4562 could be used in this circuit.

I built an ultra-simple phono stage exactly from the National datasheet and it works way better than I have any right to expect. Verrrry promising. It has a persistent hum (quite low-level) which I am going to try to side-step by driving it with a pair of 12V batteries (my design skills are, shall we say, limited) :xeye:

With other folk's experiences and listening reports, this design and the LM4562 should make a giant-killer!

Jess

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.