Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

My private blowtorch clone
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th May 2020, 07:54 PM   #41
hesener is offline hesener  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontHertzMe View Post
It's a great setup . I was just wondering what values you chose for the chokes and filters. Did you tune it to a specific frequency?
In fact I didnt, I used chokes I had for another project (a tube linestage, actually). Usually, I would calculate the input impedance (voltage / current at nominal operation) and use that impedance to calculate the filter so optimum damping without ringing could be achieved, but it doesn't hurt to make the caps a little larger, since this is not the output of a class-D amplifier. So, gut feeling it was , and it seems it worked.

Forgot to mention, of course when calculating a corner frequency has to be chosen , so that the damping at the "problem frequency" (usually the switching frequency of the DCDC converters) is high enough. There is a great book by Richard Ozenbaugh on EMI filter design that explains that procedure in detail.

Last edited by hesener; 25th May 2020 at 07:55 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 25th May 2020, 08:09 PM   #42
BesPav is offline BesPav  Russian Federation
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesener View Post
Did you measure the harmonics of this stage, with real , not super-matched transistors?

No, just because distortion itself can't help to estimate amp's performance.

I suppose, that all we need - is overall amplifier stability, while sounding really depends of components of actual build.

While we are really can reach ~100 dB feedback depth through all audioband we will feel all the ugliness of our measurement setups.

Quote:
A very useful circuit indeed.
Also with independently biased LTPs could be designed something like this.
Old 25th May 2020, 08:17 PM   #43
diyAudio Member

I just wanted to check if the correction of mismatching that your circuit provides actually changes the distortion profile. I found that mismatch shows up as distortion, maybe 70dB down but still tells us something...

And of course you are right, distortion only is not enough, and with feedback a lot of issues can be covered (and some others brought forward).

I like that circuit, simple and elegant! do you control the corner frequency of the common mode control somehow? It seems it provides a lot of CM gain in the audio band
Old 25th May 2020, 08:31 PM   #44
BesPav is offline BesPav  Russian Federation
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I just wanted to check if the correction of mismatching that your circuit provides actually changes the distortion profile. I found that mismatch shows up as distortion, maybe 70dB down but still tells us something...
Bad case matching obviously results in 1ma for 10 ma devices. This could be mostly eliminated with slightly different source degenerating resistances.

Quote:
I like that circuit, simple and elegant! do you control the corner frequency of the common mode control somehow?
No, i haven't tuned that behaviour now, but there are nothing complicated.

Quote:
It seems it provides a lot of CM gain in the audio band
Yes, curent-mirror-loaded LTP could provide up to 60-70 dB gain, so, again yes, loop could be unstable without proper tuning.

Oh, yes, mirrored second stage have much more swing, check attached.
Attached Images
File Type: png JFET IPS with BJT current mirrors.PNG (30.0 KB, 95 views)
Old 26th May 2020, 02:25 PM   #45
catd is online now catd  Europe
diyAudio Member

Hi!

Quote:
... so I settled for aluminum-filled nylon....

That's interesting...
Is the material conductive? I'm looking for something non-conductive for the same purpose, but for transistors in metal case where the collector is connected to the case.

greetings
Old 26th May 2020, 03:21 PM   #46
diyAudio Member

Don't think so, but I haven't checked. I would have to re-open the case to do that, it may take some time, sorry.....

My private blowtorch cloneHide this!Advertise here!