My private blowtorch clone

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2005
Paid Member
It's a great setup :D. I was just wondering what values you chose for the chokes and filters. Did you tune it to a specific frequency?

In fact I didnt, I used chokes I had for another project (a tube linestage, actually). Usually, I would calculate the input impedance (voltage / current at nominal operation) and use that impedance to calculate the filter so optimum damping without ringing could be achieved, but it doesn't hurt to make the caps a little larger, since this is not the output of a class-D amplifier. So, gut feeling it was :D , and it seems it worked.

Forgot to mention, of course when calculating a corner frequency has to be chosen , so that the damping at the "problem frequency" (usually the switching frequency of the DCDC converters) is high enough. There is a great book by Richard Ozenbaugh on EMI filter design that explains that procedure in detail.

Last edited:
Did you measure the harmonics of this stage, with real , not super-matched transistors?

No, just because distortion itself can't help to estimate amp's performance.

I suppose, that all we need - is overall amplifier stability, while sounding really depends of components of actual build.

While we are really can reach ~100 dB feedback depth through all audioband we will feel all the ugliness of our measurement setups.

A very useful circuit indeed.
Also with independently biased LTPs could be designed something like this.

Attachments

• Independent LTPs Four-Quadrant with common mode control loop.PNG
    Independent LTPs Four-Quadrant with common mode control loop.PNG
    40.5 KB · Views: 283
Joined 2005
Paid Member
I just wanted to check if the correction of mismatching that your circuit provides actually changes the distortion profile. I found that mismatch shows up as distortion, maybe 70dB down but still tells us something...

And of course you are right, distortion only is not enough, and with feedback a lot of issues can be covered (and some others brought forward).

I like that circuit, simple and elegant! do you control the corner frequency of the common mode control somehow? It seems it provides a lot of CM gain in the audio band

I just wanted to check if the correction of mismatching that your circuit provides actually changes the distortion profile. I found that mismatch shows up as distortion, maybe 70dB down but still tells us something...

Bad case matching obviously results in 1ma for 10 ma devices. This could be mostly eliminated with slightly different source degenerating resistances.

I like that circuit, simple and elegant! do you control the corner frequency of the common mode control somehow?

No, i haven't tuned that behaviour now, but there are nothing complicated.

It seems it provides a lot of CM gain in the audio band

Yes, curent-mirror-loaded LTP could provide up to 60-70 dB gain, so, again yes, loop could be unstable without proper tuning.

Oh, yes, mirrored second stage have much more swing, check attached.

Attachments

• JFET IPS with BJT current mirrors.PNG
    JFET IPS with BJT current mirrors.PNG
    30 KB · Views: 272
Joined 2005
Paid Member
The case is made from two aluminum sheets (top and bottom), held by side plates made from wood, and the front- and backplates also from aluminum. All metal sheets are 4mm thickness. Here is a picture showing the structure of the case.

Another picture shows how the top plate is recessed, by the thickness of the heatsinks mounted on top, to achieve a flat top surface. The heatsinks are SK105 from Fischer-Elektronik, with 15mm thickness.

Since I received multiple questions for the plates, they were designed with the FPD tool from schaeffer-ag.de and produced there. If you want to build them yourself send me a PM and I can share the files, just in case you want to use the case for your own build :D

#frontplatte #schaefferag

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.