Salas DCG3 preamp (line & headphone)

I don't know what is a typical system, but in my case the gain in is plenty with R6 at 470R, which is according to Salas 1,94x. At least with my LCD-2 cans it's still almost too much. With my Genelec G3 active speakers I had only a short time to test and gain seemed to be quite plenty. In any case the sound is absolutely brilliant with total bass control and vibrant vocals and mid section. And I think it's getting better with more hours in it...

Now listening to good old Rage Against The Machine's first album by the way and I'm hearing new bass details I didn't know existed earlier. My DCG3 build is totally silent without any signs of hum even with ordinary cheap toroids without shielding. In fact Now I can hear in silent parts the interferences caused by my Raspberry Pi source, so I need to focus on that next.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Action....

Attachments

• DSC_0588 web.JPG
    DSC_0588 web.JPG
    117.1 KB · Views: 607
  • DSC_0592 web.JPG
    DSC_0592 web.JPG
    246.9 KB · Views: 618
  • DSC_0591 web.JPG
    DSC_0591 web.JPG
    209.4 KB · Views: 580
Joined 2006
Paid Member
It uses a double winding rcore (2 x 18VAC) followed by separated rectifiers and smoothers that feed two positive V12R (modified).

The V12R are connected in tandem so I can get +-17Vdc out.

So this is not double mono but it works very well indeed. (IMO using two positive shunts with separated TX windings sounds better than the normal way using one positive and one negative shunt).

It was built with 3x gain and uses 50k log alps.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Quite nice & unusual execution Ricardo, congrats :up: Raw DC twin positive rails board from FSP, a Mezmerize type In-Selector, matrix built twin positive V1.2R shunts on virtual ground midpoint, twin pots (?), i.e. an imaginative building mix from you. Yes the phase shift remains linear in the audio spectrum. You caught it in the lab although I haven't referred to that detail ;) Yamaha NS1000's I also see there, cool stuff.

Yes, I should mention that Iam using an f5 with 15db gain and 89db 3 ways. My current BA-3 preamp has 20ish do of gain. Others with more sensitive speakers and more power amp gain will be happy at 3x. My situation is not typical.

Yeah, I find that the BA-3 has almost too much gain for a normal power amp.
Seems like if you "breathe" on the volume control the wrong way it's either too loud or not loud enough.
Guess that's why Mr. Pass designed it to work with some of his lower gain power amps.
While it sounds quite good, I got tired of trying to adjust all those "overly sensitive" trimmer pots despite using 2k ohm for the higher ones.
Seems nothing would remain stable and everything was constantly changing based on the temp. of the outputs.
Plus, I prefer DC-coupled designs over coupling caps.
Someone needs to design a servo for it IMO.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I don't know what is a typical system, but in my case the gain in is plenty with R6 at 470R, which is according to Salas 1,94x. At least with my LCD-2 cans it's still almost too much. With my Genelec G3 active speakers I had only a short time to test and gain seemed to be quite plenty. In any case the sound is absolutely brilliant with total bass control and vibrant vocals and mid section. And I think it's getting better with more hours in it...

Now listening to good old Rage Against The Machine's first album by the way and I'm hearing new bass details I didn't know existed earlier. My DCG3 build is totally silent without any signs of hum even with ordinary cheap toroids without shielding. In fact Now I can hear in silent parts the interferences caused by my Raspberry Pi source, so I need to focus on that next.

Great news. Congratulations. :)
Nice with the LCD-2s as we were confident by their test data they will be driven well even with your milder bias/gain settings and so it went.
But its also nice to know its a success for you in another role too. I.e active monitors line level drive (through long cables in your setup?). Genelec is a very respected Finish company in the recording monitors sector. They are especially good in doing compact ones like that G3 of yours. Which I have listened to. But I also like their big three ways along those from Klein & Hummel. Do post some pics of your finished DCG3 whenever possible if you may.

Salas, I ordered a 20k smd stepper pot. Should be a week or two until I get it. I will hold my judgement until then but...this amp sounds very good at 150ma through headphones...better than I thought. Very dynamic and crisp. Leading edges are very sharp, but not harsh. Drum strikes crack and pop but vocals don't hurt. The tonality may change somewhat when I switch to a 20k pot.

For preamp use I don't have enough gain at 3x. It sounds good but I prefer the Ba-3 with more gain in my system. Iam using an f5 with only 15db of gain.

Is it possible to go above 4x gain? 15 to 20db is what I seem to like.
with a gain of 3x in the pre-amp and 6x in the F5 you have a total gain of 18times (+25.1dB).
The maximum output of the F5 is ~14 to 15Vac
Your sensitivity for maximum power is ~800mVac
What are you using as your sources?

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Quite nice & unusual execution Ricardo, congrats :up: Raw DC twin positive rails board from FSP, a Mezmerize type In-Selector, matrix built twin positive V1.2R shunts on virtual ground midpoint, twin pots (?), i.e. an imaginative building mix from you. Yes the phase shift remains linear in the audio spectrum. You caught it in the lab although I haven't referred to that detail ;) Yamaha NS1000's I also see there, cool stuff.

Twin pots I always prefer so I can adjust level individually (like a balance without cross talk)

Not ready yet to post subjective impressions ....

Found a strange noise coming from the shunts (like the noise that sometimes comes out of an incandescent filament light bulb)... will measure currents to see if I am not starving anything.

PS: this noise does not appear on the output so it is mechanical... maybe the heatsinks of the shunts singing ?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I don't know, never had that in such type handmade PSU. In general I have listened to capacitors and coils ringing with ripple, especially in SMPS, along test frequencies singing from metal can transistors in SS power amps, as well as from OPTs in tube amps.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Now I thought of something else... in a double bridges situation as you use, if the two secondary sections aren't well wound very symmetrical, or there is a phasing mistake in wiring, there could be overload of one section and mechanical hum from the transformer parts. Even so from bridge diodes themselves.