Salas DCG3 preamp (line & headphone)

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Checked BC547 and BC549 areno longer made either. I see tea has some BC 560 listed on his site, I will contact and see if there a few left. Lets see what I've got in the boxes. not much, only 3 leg devices like this I have (other than my Toshiba J fet stash) is ZTX 450, and ZTX550.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
All parts on way, as well as another DCG3 board and parts. Plan is to fix THIS one. It is in a very large case compared to my usual pre builds.

Reasoning is this one in large case has plenty of room for the hotter shunt regulators. Also, may put Muse volume control.

Then new board will be in much more trim case, with power supply from current build in its own case. (Possibly anyway).

Pretty sure the BC550 is the culprit

Russellc

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Too bad it lost a leg completely. If there was a little bit left of it for the probe to touch you would know if he transistor was the culprit.
It broke off right by body. I almost wondered if it wasn't damaged somehow, it broke a bit easy.

The zener came in kit, but anything is possible, iirc, I think I was getting 4.3 or so where you said it should have been 10?

Parts are "out for delivery" but it will have to wait until I get home.

New DCG3 kit and board arrives tomorrow. Guess I better get a chassis for it. Also a pair of those shunt regulators. The Large chassis one will house them, and either Muse volume or maybe AVC. It is 17" x 15.5" so plenty big! Full ventilated top cover.

Russellc

Last edited:
Joined 2003
Paid Member
It would be obvious that it is measured across two of the pins, nothing can be measured on the plastic body. Looking at a data sheet of the relay, it shows 3 diagrams. 1.) Non latch type 2.) Single coil latch type and 3.) double coil latch type

Both 1.) and 2.) show the points across a coil to be positions 1 and 10, which are right across from each other on the "marked" end of the device. Different from the other two, 3.) shows 2 coils (double coil latch type) one labeled set coil, and the other reset coil, they are across positions 1 and 5 on one side, and 10 and 6 on the other side. Now to look back and see if it is refered to as "latch type" or single coil verses double coil to give me a hint. Maybe part numbers vary on the three types and I can tell that way. for my money I'm betting its 2.) single coil latch type. Let's see how wrong or not I am!