Remote Control for the BPBP

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'd say the same for any shop. There's no real way to know if it's authentic.

If one high-street seller sells something bad, should we then never trust other high-street sellers? Ebay is the same - every seller is different.

This one has a store and we *should* be able to find a business address I think. Also check their feedback on similar items.

Even trusted shops can accidentally end up with bad or fake components if their suppliers have been duped and don't know about it.

Last edited:
On my first BPBP I wasn’t completely happy with the sturdiness of the connection between the net ties and the VolCB. On this next build, I resolved that and it looks and feels much better:
- used a 4x2 angled connector
- cut the downward facing parts off the rightmost 2 pins
- soldered thin gauge wire between the net ties and the remaining horizontal pins

Now the VolCB easily connects and disconnects without risk of damaging anything.

IMG_3175.jpg IMG_3176.jpg

I like that, good practical idea!

I note that the original site for Vicol is no longer active. With that a lot of info seems lost, What gives??

It was a commercial company that ceased operation. Not much we can do about that.

That being said, I'm working on an arduino based open source replacement, utilizing the VOLCB and 4 input boards from Hans with the basic functionality at least (I don't have a need for a remote as it's for my desktop, but it could be added I suppose).
The VOLCB relay control is working(code borrowed from Dimdim's Lascala Attenuator), and I'm currently working on the input and output selection (need to build an output board, as I want to be able to select either my powered monitors and one or more headphone amps).

IF anyone is interested, I could start a new thread about it and I'd invite anyone with Arduino/C++ coding experience to contribute.

On my first BPBP I wasn’t completely happy with the sturdiness of the connection between the net ties and the VolCB. On this next build, I resolved that and it looks and feels much better:
- used a 4x2 angled connector
- cut the downward facing parts off the rightmost 2 pins
- soldered thin gauge wire between the net ties and the remaining horizontal pins

Now the VolCB easily connects and disconnects without risk of damaging anything.

View attachment 768468 View attachment 768471

Hey, Can you share the part numbers of the angled header and the Female connector you use on the VolCB? That looks like the best solution I've seen so far for mounting the VolCB.. Damm these designers who don't include mounting holes in their boards.. :confused:

In fairness the designer only intended for there to be a pot there..

Oh, I'm not complaining about Bruno. He planned to have the board supported by the connectors on the back panel. Perhaps i was being too harsh, but Hans could have included some holes in the corners of his board to give us some flexibility WRT mounting.. :rolleyes:

I've got the board design, I suppose I could fix that with out bitching too..

It was a commercial company that ceased operation. Not much we can do about that.

That being said, I'm working on an arduino based open source replacement, utilizing the VOLCB and 4 input boards from Hans with the basic functionality at least (I don't have a need for a remote as it's for my desktop, but it could be added I suppose).

The VOLCB relay control is working(code borrowed from Dimdim's Lascala Attenuator), and I'm currently working on the input and output selection (need to build an output board, as I want to be able to select either my powered monitors and one or more headphone amps).

IF anyone is interested, I could start a new thread about it and I'd invite anyone with Arduino/C++ coding experience to contribute.
How far did you get with the Arduino controller?

Since the Maya solution with VolCB is no longer available, and Arduino solutions are coming up, I could provide this VolCB if there is still demand for.

I'm frequently questioned concerning the IM23TS relay that I used for the volume control boards.
These relays were long time out of stock, but momentarily Farnell and Newark have a few thousands of them.

But in case using another relay, be aware that the suggested PCF8574AT driver can only sink 80mA.
So with 6 relays, that's a max of 13mA per relay.
However the pin replaceable PCA8574AD can sink 200mA or 33mA per relay giving you more options for a relay selection.

Hans

Joined 2002
Paid Member
I've amended AMB's code for their LCDuino system to control the VolCB. Link below. Seems to work pretty well and the AMB system is great. No support for the input board (I don't have one) but it shouldn't be too hard for someone to add.

AMB Laboratories DIY Audio Forums • View topic - Volumaster Bruno Putzey's Pre-amp code

I had time this weekend to assemble my LCDuino and load your sketch on it. I now have remote control for my VolCB! :D The LCDuino seems like a good replacement for the Maya with the VolCB. Thanks Joe and AMB for this.

Since the Maya solution with VolCB is no longer available, and Arduino solutions are coming up, I could provide this VolCB if there is still demand for.

I'm frequently questioned concerning the IM23TS relay that I used for the volume control boards.
These relays were long time out of stock, but momentarily Farnell and Newark have a few thousands of them.

But in case using another relay, be aware that the suggested PCF8574AT driver can only sink 80mA.
So with 6 relays, that's a max of 13mA per relay.
However the pin replaceable PCA8574AD can sink 200mA or 33mA per relay giving you more options for a relay selection.

Hans
I have five VolCB's and four 4 input boards available. PM me in case anybody need some.

Hans

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.