Drop in replacement for NE5532?

Again, you can't swap an op for another. These are too different. That really go wrong. It can oscillate, clip, etc. If you swap the op, you would have to check all the engineering around it or make it new. It takes a lot of experience with the LM, because of the high bandwidth. A lot can go wrong very quickly. People don't learn that anymore. And another damn thing: the human ear can not hear any differences between ops. Terms such as clearer, deeper are complete imagination and none sense. How should something sound deeper or clearer when the frequency response is equal to a few milli-db? Studying electrical engineering would help a lot here. The LM does have some better noise and distortion than the NE, but you can not hear that. This is very nice to read in the data sheet. Furthermore, it costs 10x more than the NE. An economic factor that beats when you have to install 40 pieces per device.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
a lil too much work for me.. Seller replied. stated the chips came from TI. Id really doubt that TI quit making those chips. They are not hard to make. Im guessing your info was wrong. .. Not too worried bout it anyway since the LM chips are better.

I've just done some research and it does indeed seem the OPA2604 is now back and its status has changed to 'Active' on the TI site.

In the UK, Farnell, CPC and RS still show it unavailable.

Unless you buy what are really premium devices (as opposed to 4558, 1458 etc) from authorised distributers then the chances of fake parts is unfortunately extremely high... as witnessed by all the threads and posts both on here and elsewhere.

And another damn thing: the human ear can not hear any differences between ops. Terms such as clearer, deeper are complete imagination and none sense. How should something sound deeper or clearer when the frequency response is equal to a few milli-db? Studying electrical engineering would help a lot here.

Oh ok.. So I am also imagining the different sound in caps. SMH
I have heard this argument way too may times. Yet, here we are, again, arguing about it. Look dude. Ill make it really basic. Amps DO sound different. You can take the same amp model and change one cap or one opamp and the sound will change. This has already been done. So, Im not going to go on and on about this. Its obvious youre def or just like trolling.

I don`t know the schematic where these went but my 2c - several years ago I modded my car CD. It had 4558, the NE5532 works in its place usually not requiring any changes. I then put LM4562 (they were fresh) and got the same result soundwise as you did. But when I put them through scope, they were oscillating. Very few amps will work as a drop in replacement but that depends on the circuit.

Well, it can oscillate all day.. cause im not changing it...
LM stays in.
Sounds fantastic. At times I have to turn off or mute the volume cause i think someone is at the door or a cat is in my room or a dog is barking in the yard.
Just sayin.... ;)

BurrBrown is dead.. I was sitting down at the sofa with the amp on but no audio passing through it.. I started hearing what I thought was thunder outside. I went outside to chek the sky.. nothing... a hour past and i kept think.. "wth is going on with that long thunder. " LOL weird.. end of world event maybe?
Then I heard what sounded liek someone banging a chair against the wall. I localized it to the sub and the right speakr.. then the amp cut off... I **** a brick...

Unplugged it.. Pulled out the Burrbrowns.. Put in the LM's and all is good. Put the Burrbrowns back in and the amp started rumbling and cut off... This was after a looong long time of using it so I am assuming these chips are trash..

I am keeping the LM's in cause when I have them in I swear it makes this little amp sound amazing..

Those opa2604, lm4562 are twice the bandwidth, twice as fast as the 5532, might need to find a way to add some .01-.1uf decoupling, seeing as that amp has no such parts.
I would add them to the socket pins directly under the board so you can keep your clean-look.
Kind of a textbook op amp parts swap debacle.

Certainly one of the best op amp. But it does hurt the wallet.

hi ! do you mean the 1602 ? i do not think it is very expensive. In my case BTW i need a DIP-8 op-amp. I see now that it is not available in this package.

Are there measurements with the AP?
i read in the pdf
Measurements for this data sheet were made with an Audio Precision System Two analyzer