Zen4 vs. Aleph30

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I didn't try zen 4, but the zen 1/2/3 didnt really give as much "power" (sonically) as the aleph.
I repeat that this is probably due to my 4ohm speakers. I didn't try them on 8ohm.
Also I probably had too small transformers. but somehow i think it is inherent to the design...
As The One and Only said, you can build both to try it out. You can reuse most of the parts if you do it right (not like me)

changings

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Koy
Changing the input and feedback resistors I got different ( for me and my speakers) better sound.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Koy, which resistors did you change, and what is the new value?

B.:confused:

Mr. Pass I think a full bodied Chardonay with a good nose should have a peppery feeling in the back of the throat, you should taste oak on the edges of your tounge and the fruit of the Chardonay grape in the centre, a slightly tart taste.

I find most Beaujelais (screwed that up) just overwhelm my senses with bitterness.

But what I really love is a nice Reisling, a medium dry white with a Pasta arribriata bolognese is to die for.

So get off the fence and tell us which AMP you would listen to if you could only have one. sheesh. :)

Anthony

While I understand and even agree with Nelson's point of view, I think I also see where Coulomb is coming from. Maybe we are not asking the right question here. Let me try:

So Mr. Pass, what is the amplifier you listen to most often while relaxing at home (probably accompanied with some nice wine) :D

Thanks!

There simply is no correct answer

Do you ever think of entering polotics Mr. Pass? :)

This year was one of the best for new Beaujelais as the 2001 crops were the best in years. If you can get them where you are Mr. Pass I encourage you to try some Ontario Niagra wines from Canada. We have had some very good award winning wineries producing top quality products.

I find myself caught between another wine fridge or another peice of audio equipment.

hummmm...

Anthony

Part of the problem is that you are seeking absolute answers to relative questions.
Another part of the problem is that Nelson--like the rest of us who are bi/tri/quad/quint-amped--doesn't listen to <i>one</i> amplifier at a time; he listens to five. And those five change according to the needs of the moment.
Trying to pin down one amp is like the bet they made as to whether a horse at a full run ever had all four hooves off the ground at the same time. It took high speed photography and a whole lot of patience to answer the question (yes, they do...). A high-speed camera would only demonstrate that Nelson uses amps...but it would still not give you a definitive answer as to which amp he prefers.
Perfers for what?
Subs? Woofers? Mid-bass? Mid-range? Tweeters?
And how about the new idea that lead to a new circuit to be evaluated?
It's a moving target.

Grey

Any wine that pours will eventually win awards. I was in Virginia in early September, and every winery I visited boasted "award winning wines." Most of them were mediocre, at best. Some were so bad I read the fine print more closely; turned out the awards were from the Bumpkin County State Fair, or some such.
Not to say that I didn't eventually find a few to my liking...
The other side of the amplifier coin is that if you find an amplifier that has, say, great bass but is less than stellar in the midrange and absolutely horrid on top, you can safely insert it into your system knowing that you'll be getting the best out of that particular topology.
I like to mix and match topologies--even gain devices (meaning some tubes and some solid state)--using each amp where it's happiest. My old Thresholds are best in the bass, so they're on the woofer panels and subs. At the moment, I'm running one Aleph 2 on the mids and another on the tweeters. I'm about to go back to tubes on the midrange, I think, but with a bit of redesigning of my amps. The Aleph was crowding my tubes a bit for sound quality, plus I've had time to meditate on my design for a while and I've got a few things I want to change.
Of course, I could always return my tube amp to class A. Tried that for a while, but wasn't willing to take the drop in power (from 130W or so down to roughly 40W). That was tasty while it lasted, though.
Decisions, decisions...

Grey

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.