Zen-worthy EQ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Pass DIY Apprentice
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Perhaps the most loathed device among audiophile purists is the lowly graphic equalizer. They're typically designed with a horrid orgy of op amps and other ghastly integrated circuits. But, if a sufficiently simple circuit could be constructed with a minimum of active components, offering a little less boost/cut than the usual mid-fi 20dB, and following the principles of the Zen master, could it be accepted? Would it even be useful? Would it look anything like the design posted? Is the EQ doomed to the fate of the 8-Track? Or, could it experience a comeback? I ask you.

I'm finishing up the PCB artwork now. Why you ask? Because I simply must know! The coils are the real problem. I suppose they'll have to be hand wound. That might be prohibitive unless you could help me with a source.

Thanks.

Mike

But the fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown.

--- Carl Sagan

Attachments

• zeneq.zip
    33.4 KB · Views: 189
Nothing wrong with the idea of an equaliser. Probably best regarded one was Audio Palette from Cello. It was sold at $18,000. Introduced in 1985 was a state-of-the-art tone control system built without sonic compromise. The Audio Palette was (and still probably is) used by engineers at major record companies and mastering labs, and also by home listeners who refuse to compromise their music.

I was always entertaining the idea of audiophile equaliser.:blush:

Attachments

• as.jpg
    as.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 722
I'm sorry if I made you laughing. Those words were taken from Cello printed material and I was alway wondering how it's possible considering 48 amplifier sections inside. Nevetherless the reviews were very positive.

I've also read the story that a man entered the showroom downtown New York and at gun point requested the Audio Palette (true story). Must have been one desperate audiophile.:headshot:

For Sale: 100pcs of Zen EQ. Comes complete with circuit boad, hand wound inductors, humm shield, J-FET input buffer. Can be used with any Pass design amplifier with balanced inputs (or build a discrete op-amp as above). NOS. $24 a pair plus $6 Priority Mail (USA).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.