Zen -> Cen -> Sen, evolution of a minimalistic IV Converter

You need four - repeat: four - independent (galvanically isolated) supplies for SEN. Each channel needs a Vref from the respective AVCC supply, so that would be two, feeding the two phases of each channel.

You can omit one phase per channel to half the number of necessary PSUs. This works very good, but you loose balanced output and half the current from the DAC.

It is all explained in this thread or in the 'The art of SEN' thread over at pinkfish.

A few of you have sent me PM's requesting PCBs for ES9018 & for PCM1704.

Firstly many thanks for your continued interest.
Yes we do have PCBs in stock. We even have 2SK372V JFETs.
But we have no time to match, not even to handle orders.
Our apologies, but this is hobby for us and not business.

If you are willing to wait, please send me a reminder after 10 December.
Please state precisely what you want, your full name, postal address and Paypal account.
I'll see if I have time then to handle your requests.

Patrick

I have the ES9018 version SEN kit, with matched FETs, which I can sell.
I intended to build and compare this output stage with others, but haven't had the time. I opened the kit for inspection, but it's otherwise unused.
Will be offered at close to original price, but can't send until I return home from overseas trip after October 8.

Can also offer 2x SSLV1.1 Salas BiB boards to provide the necessary 4x 18VDC.

PM me.

Each BiB PCB has 3x regulator circuits, 2x positive and 1x negative, which can be physically broken apart. Typically a BiB board is configured as +/-ve or dual +ve, with the unused section of PCB removed. So for the SEN you would have 2x dual-positive boards.

Yes, having a mains-fed supply floating at the DC outputs is nothing special. The bigger issue is that the SEN is apparently highly susceptible to mains-induced noise. My plan was to mitigate this by using a simple Schaffner mains filter, into a Hammond split-bobbin transformer. There are further discussions on the use of Salas shunt regs with SEN elsewhere on this forum, and maybe also on the pinkfish forum. My memory is hazy because the SEN project is now 4 years old.